mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I don't use a food processor for any of the steps but I suppose you could if you prefer that. here's the recipe I came up with:

-10 large soft dates, pitted, chopped up
-three tablespoons or so of organic peanut butter
-maple syrup as much as you like

dump all that in a double boiler, and mix it up over medium heat until the consistency is smooth. then you have your dry ingredients:

-one cup shelled pistachios, chopped up
-cup of other nuts and seeds like almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc
-cup of dried fruit (cranberry, blueberry, apricot, candied ginger), chopped as necessary
-cup of hemp hearts. or more. they are the best ingredient
-any other good ingredients you like

combine the warm base mixture with the dry ingredients in mixing bowl, mix and knead it until its well mixed (will make a big ball), then drop that on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, put another sheet on top and roll it out to desired thickness. put that in the fridge or freezer till its hard enough to cut, into decent sized portioned bars. then freezer em after in a container, layers separated with parchment, to keep them nice and fresh.

this recipe will yield about 25-30 bars depending how you cut em. I have yet to do the nutritional calculation for the whole batch, will do it on the next one in a few days.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Protine bars are pretty good for directly after a work out. That being said, most people's bodies are not able to absorb everything out of a bar.

I will eat a half bar after a work out and then make sure I have a proper supper.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stock Class Bunny

I like the ThinkThin bars (get Brownie Crunch flavor) because they taste just like candy bars and have a ton of protein (with hardly any sugar).
Clif Protein bars are pretty good, too! I used to have one of these after I did my Spinning classes seemed to help re-fuel
Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I don't use a food processor for any of the steps but I suppose you could if you prefer that. here's the recipe I came up with:

-10 large soft dates, pitted, chopped up
-three tablespoons or so of organic peanut butter
-maple syrup as much as you like

dump all that in a double boiler, and mix it up over medium heat until the consistency is smooth. then you have your dry ingredients:

-one cup shelled pistachios, chopped up
-cup of other nuts and seeds like almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc
-cup of dried fruit (cranberry, blueberry, apricot, candied ginger), chopped as necessary
-cup of hemp hearts. or more. they are the best ingredient
-any other good ingredients you like

combine the warm base mixture with the dry ingredients in mixing bowl, mix and knead it until its well mixed (will make a big ball), then drop that on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, put another sheet on top and roll it out to desired thickness. put that in the fridge or freezer till its hard enough to cut, into decent sized portioned bars. then freezer em after in a container, layers separated with parchment, to keep them nice and fresh.

this recipe will yield about 25-30 bars depending how you cut em. I have yet to do the nutritional calculation for the whole batch, will do it on the next one in a few days.
Could you replace the dates with anything? Dates are seriously the one thing I will NOT eat. I'm just wondering because it seems like that initial mix would bind everything together. Maybe a sliced banana instead?
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

you could use something other than dates, sure. just need to make a good base which will bind all the dry ingredients together... honey, peanut butter, almond butter, whatever you like. banana... not sure. might spoil really quick. I'd stick to sugar-butter base ingredients.

I used a higher ratio of dry ingredients to base in my latest batch, and it came out awesome, bit harder to mix it and get it to bind but it worked excellent. ingredients like so:

6 cups of dry ingredients (2 cups hemp hearts, 1/2 cup pistachios, some candied ginger, and the rest was nuts, seeds, dried fruit and so on)
14 large dates, 7 tbsp organic peanut butter, 1/3 cup maple syrup (totaling about 2 cups of base mix once i cooked it down a bit in the double boiler)

so about 3:1 ratio in that, volume wise.. dunno what the weights worked out to. did the math and I figure the bars now average an equal balance of protein, fats, sugars, with fiber a bit lower... I want to add some fiber to the next batch to get it even with the rest (around 10 grams of each per bar should do it).

Last edited by ApoC_101; 06-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness