mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Fitness (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/fitness/)
-   -   Metabolism? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/fitness/167162-metabolism.html)

Kermit 06-29-2011 01:29 PM

Metabolism?

So I look around at all my friends who all weigh anywhere from 140-190 pounds. Thing is they eat ALL DAY LONG and sit at home on Facebook or the XBOX and don't gain a pound. Then I see myself at 215 pounds, having a rather healthy diet(Not overeating, eating small nutritious meals throughout the day) and I'm the one that's out hiking, biking, painitballing or just doing something else.

Thing is, I'm still the fatty and they are all thin and fit. Why is this? I was told metabolism, but I'm not sure. Since about the third grade I've been rather pudgy, trimmed up in middle school some, but still a little fat. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions? Is there any way to boost metabolism?

Josh

Stilgar 06-29-2011 01:34 PM

Its annoying isn't it? Don't worry though, it will catch up to them. And if you are creating good habits now with exercise and eating right, you won't have a problem in the future when your body finally sorts its self out.

Also, weight by its self is not a good indicator of health. I have met some very unhealthy people who are skinny and weigh next to nothing. I have met some people who weigh a ton and are very healthy...

Ask your self, if you and your friends go out for the day and perform some sort of exercise all day long, who will burn out and quit first? You or them?

Twilight 06-29-2011 01:44 PM

^ this

unfortunately, a lot of it is genetics too :(
some of us have to work harder than others to achieve the same visual results but overall health could be drastically different

Kermit 06-29-2011 02:55 PM

I've always been healthy, never had any health complications or anything. But just thinking about it, everyone on my mom's side is rather large. If it's a matter of genetics, that is probably right.

Lets just say I want to enjoy being 16, not caught up with my weight if that makes sense. Taking my shirt off at the pool without having people think or say "ew" is a good goal for me.

Deuce 06-29-2011 02:59 PM

How many times a day do you eat? The general consensus is that instead of eating 3 large meals you should have 6 smaller meals/snacks throughout the day to boost your metabolism.

I can't disprove it, but it worked for me before I became a train wreck of injuries.

Kindred 06-29-2011 03:40 PM

I think Stilgar nailed it.
I'm one of those annoying thin people who always SEEMED to be in good shape.
I made out fairly well since I was always pretty active....to spite some appauling health habits.

Now that everyday life doesn't keep me as active as it used to, and I've quit some of those habits, i'm having a HORRIBLE time getting my body back to where it used to be.

I KNOW I'm slowly getting into better shape, the numbers prove it......but I swear one of these mornings I'm going to put my fist through that mirror opposite our shower!

Kermit 06-29-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 1896536)
How many times a day do you eat? The general consensus is that instead of eating 3 large meals you should have 6 smaller meals/snacks throughout the day to boost your metabolism.

I can't disprove it, but it worked for me before I became a train wreck of injuries.

I guess I'm like a cow. I eat small meals 4-5 times a day. On Tuesdays and Thursdays it's different as I usually go to lunch with the guys at work and it's usually something fried(Jay, FL look it up LOL) but I don't over eat or anything

TheCount 06-30-2011 12:16 AM

Become a vegan. I did, for philosophical reasons though, and I lost 15lbs without even trying.

StealingYerMail 06-30-2011 11:53 PM

It could be part genetics, everyone's muscles are shaped differently/have more or less fibers, and we all store fat differently, although the average male is going to store most of their fat on their stomach.

I think some people do have a naturally higher metabolism than others. However my one friend is like yours, sits around and plays Xbox/reads stuff on the Internet all day and he's really skinny. At first I thought it was just a quick metabolism, but after studying how he eats throughout a day (creepy, I know), he eats just a couple high-calorie meals and snacks, whereas I eat a ton of low-calorie meals/snacks. At the end of the day, he's consuming about 1800 which is what he would need considering his height and weight, and I'm consuming about 2400, which is what I need, so it's the same thing, really.

My other friend is the same way; thing is, when they don't have a shirt on, at the pool or whatever, they're not in very good shape. Just skinny, and skinny is not the same thing as lean.

Anyway, I think you're doing the right thing, a lot of stuff like soda and hydrogenated oils, really anything that isn't meant to go into the human body could probably disrupt weight loss. I'm not an expert, but if it was made for consumption by a dude in a white coat with a Bunsen burner, it probably isn't too good for you in one way or another.

Just keep at it.

EDIT: I've read eating massive amounts of protein boosts your metabolism because of how your body deals with excess protein. I forget the exact science, but supposedly your body "burns" more calories than it "stores" with excess protein because it needs it for so many things and it's easier for the body to store fats and carbs. Personally, I believe that is a load of horse ****, calories are calories, but I have read some individual foods boost your metabolism, which I could sort of see... mainly foods with healthy fats and B vitamins like nuts/peanuts, fish, eggs, berries, etc. Those foods are just inherently healthy and nutritious, so I don't know. At the very least, healthy fats make you feel fuller for longer.

russc 07-01-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigballa (Post 1897217)
I guess I'm like a cow. I eat small meals 4-5 times a day. On Tuesdays and Thursdays it's different as I usually go to lunch with the guys at work and it's usually something fried(Jay, FL look it up LOL) but I don't over eat or anything

Small can be kind of a subjective measurement, though...I never realized how much I ate at every meal until I moved out of my folks' place.

I swear my stomach has shrunk since then.