mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #111 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
2k warm up

then 3 sets of

5x K2E
20 x push up
5x rope pull up
20x GHD
5x pull up
20x dips on a bench

arms fall off now.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #115 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am thinking about joining a crossfit program (among all sorts of other things). I am tired of working out alone and I could use some guidance to be honest.

Being in the navy, I am in and out of the area a lot of the time... Is there any way a crossfit schedule could accommodate this or..?
Haven't done a whole lot of research yet, but MCB'rs usually offer great opinions.

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #116 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Yes, you SHOULD go to an accreditated gym and take one of their boot camps. This will teach you what you need to know about the program. Then I believe most gyms will allow you to drop in on their classes when you want.

I should have done this myself. It was a mistake for me not to. I think I am paying the price a bit now as my left knee is sore whenever I do any kind of squat type of excersise...so pretty much anything Crossfit related...

After doing crossfit for a year or so, I have come to the conclusion that it is a good program if done correctly and if you IGNORE the time aspect. Keep up intensity, but focus on FORM over TIME.

Much of crossfit focuses on getting the work out done as fast as possible. I believe this is wrong. If forces people to speed up, often resulting in them failing to use proper technique and therefor risking significant injury.

For example, the Canadian Forces (which used to endorse crossfit) has recently announced that it no longer endorses any crossfit like excersise due to the number of crossfit related injuries...

Solution: Join a real crossfit gym, Get proper instruction, pay attention to your body and don't break it.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #117 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Yes, you SHOULD go to an accreditated gym and take one of their boot camps. This will teach you what you need to know about the program. Then I believe most gyms will allow you to drop in on their classes when you want.

I should have done this myself. It was a mistake for me not to. I think I am paying the price a bit now as my left knee is sore whenever I do any kind of squat type of excersise...so pretty much anything Crossfit related...

After doing crossfit for a year or so, I have come to the conclusion that it is a good program if done correctly and if you IGNORE the time aspect. Keep up intensity, but focus on FORM over TIME.

Much of crossfit focuses on getting the work out done as fast as possible. I believe this is wrong. If forces people to speed up, often resulting in them failing to use proper technique and therefor risking significant injury.

For example, the Canadian Forces (which used to endorse crossfit) has recently announced that it no longer endorses any crossfit like excersise due to the number of crossfit related injuries...

Solution: Join a real crossfit gym, Get proper instruction, pay attention to your body and don't break it.
Sounds good to me. So sick of working out alone. I just wanted something that I wouldn't be paying monthly or something because of months in and out of port etc.
Thanks for the advice.

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #120 (permalink)

dont take a crossfit gym owner, or crossfit trainers coaching as the gold standard either...all their specialty courses (kettlebell, olympic lifting, gymnastics etc.) are all of a day or 2 and 600 or so bucks out of their pocket for an extra line on their resume

i cant speak for all aspects of crossfit, but ive spent years olympic weightlifting and powerlifting, and i would NEVER advise doing olympic movements for more than 2-3 reps, nor would i ever advise doing sets of deadlifts or squats for time...a controlled stretch reflex in your tendons is essential for moving max weight (especially in the squat) but dive bombing from the top like ive seen crossfitters do when squatting for time is what will mess your knees up

basically, be suspicious of your local crossfit coaches credentials, typically when it comes to lifting weights get your advice from the person who has been under the bar the longest, not in the classroom
Newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness