mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
all work

You young bucks be crazy. All I know about Krav Maga is what I saw on that travelling martial arts TV show where one of the two guys fight a champion every episode. It looked pretty brutal to me. I think serious injury is an eventuality of that sort of activity.

I competed in judo and wrestling for a combined 15 years and suffered enough injury in those comparatively gentle sports. Skeletal and soft tissue injuries are obvious but brain injury from repetitive impact sneaks up on you.

Be careful guys.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
You young bucks be crazy. All I know about Krav Maga is what I saw on that travelling martial arts TV show
human weapon?

yeah, krav maga is serious business
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Kmak
Quote:
I too have been interested in the Israeli Jujitsu for years.
Exactly .... rebranded combination of judo/jj/MT/boxing etc etc

Shaken......but not stirred. Licenced to paint.
bond commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
human weapon?

yeah, krav maga is serious business
Yeah, that's the one. I loved watching those big American dudes get asswhooped by featherweights who were trying desperately not to injure these foreign celebrities. Still, props to them for taking a series of beatings.

Krav maga is a young man's pastime. Judo and jujutsu can be lifetime pursuits.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Skype™ to PoisonMarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
You young bucks be crazy. All I know about Krav Maga is what I saw on that travelling martial arts TV show where one of the two guys fight a champion every episode. It looked pretty brutal to me. I think serious injury is an eventuality of that sort of activity.

I competed in judo and wrestling for a combined 15 years and suffered enough injury in those comparatively gentle sports. Skeletal and soft tissue injuries are obvious but brain injury from repetitive impact sneaks up on you.

Be careful guys.

Not saying injury is out of the question, but we don't spar all that much in each session. First bit is usually light sparring to get moving a bit, then that's followed by some technical training and repetition of techniques using mitts, and it typically ends with a scenario-type drill. Those often involve being worn down physically, disoriented and blinded, and then left to defend against circle attacks which are generally random in nature (can be a choke one second and a knife attack the next). So actual fighting usually only takes up less than a third of the session, but it's crazy intense when it does.

As for comparisons to other martial arts... it borrows left and right, what differentiates it from other types I've trained is the focus. You don't fight to win over your equal within a certain set of rules, it's all about quickly dealing enough damage to get away with as little personal injury as possible. Knife defense doesn't assume that you're going to do a perfect disarm and walk away free of injury, instead we assume that we'll get cut up but still avoid fatal stabs and cuts.

And the version we train is a bit different from traditional Krav Maga as it's more about principles than perfection of techniques. They have also cut down on the number of different techniques a lot.

Action hero at www.flashpointevent.se
Media jedi at www.tacticalstore.se
PoisonMarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

If your like me and your going into the police department your interested in the real world application of krav Maga and not overly concerned with minor injuries sustained during training
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to indyjrt

CCM Fan
Studied for about 2 years, then my gym turned into a McDoJo. Basically, the instructors were once students I trained with who became "certified" instructors.

Great training, just find a good gym.
"Lastly, there are numerous psychological effects of the use of stock class equipment. Because of the inherent rate of fire limitation, many stock class players put significant effort and emphasis on the development of marksmanship skills." - From Wikipedia

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
indyjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

We have two instructors and a couple of helper instructors, aka punching bags for the instructors. I like that our two instructors are very different: one is very technical, whereas the other guy is just all aggression.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Had another ground defense session this week. Nice to find that I had total control over the stuff we trained last time (getting out of chokes), but the ground just isn't a good place to be. The stress test this time involved trying to get off the ground from laying on my belly, with 5 dudes laying full weight on me. And then attack them. And then getting the hell out of various ****ty situations on the ground. I'm hurting in muscle groups I never knew I had.

Also getting frustrated with the learning bits. During introduction we are supposed to go through the moves slowly and by way of steps, and it always screws up and I feel like a total barnaclehead. Once we hit fullspeed it clicks beautifully, though. Maybe it has something to do with Krav Maga being so deeply based on reflex?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Have a "competency test" coming up, basically 4 hours of pressure testing in various scenarios. I hurt already.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness