mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Fitness (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/fitness/)
-   -   Krav Maga (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/fitness/213957-krav-maga.html)

PoisonMarket 09-19-2012 05:22 PM

Krav Maga

Anyone into this? I've been interested in this for years now, finally got the chance to actually get going for real. Pretty taken so far especially with the speed of learning, although it's damned hard going against what you've always been taught and attacking the weak parts at every opportunity.

CrazyBoy78 09-20-2012 10:23 AM

That's also something that I've also been interested in doing. I'm lucky that there's a place not too far from where I live that just does KM. Just have to get myself a better job so I can find some cash for it.

Grendel 09-20-2012 10:26 AM

There is a academy near me but there is a waiting list to get into any of the classes. Opting for the time being in Gracie Jujitsu classes right now.

paintballedbackin88 09-20-2012 10:42 AM

Ive trained in machado brazilian jiujitsu for the last 9 years. The hardest part for me was actually applying armbars at full speed, worrying about causing injury to my classmates. The concept of full contact sparring with someone you don't really want to hurt can make it difficult at first, but thats how you get better, and develope your defense. Tournaments are where you really experience someone coming at you at full speed with no holding back.

Krav maga is very specific in its intent to disable and incapacitate as quickly as possible, especially if there are multiple assailants. Bruce Lee was quite fond of a quick shin strike to the groin. There is no concept of honor or rules in a streetfight, only who walks away alive. Miyamoto Musashi was quite clear about doing whatever it takes to survive.

PoisonMarket 09-21-2012 12:53 PM

Yep, it's just hard getting into that mindset. I learned when I was very young that a very fast and very brutal counter-attack was the key to "winning" fights, but there were still things you sort of avoided. So when we're learning a technique that has you running straight into a guy, followed by thumbs in eyes and a swift double-knee to the groin... it takes some getting used to.

CrazyBoy78 09-21-2012 01:42 PM

So at what level do they teach you the "Touch of Death"? :p

All kidding aside, I know that the stuff they teach in KM is meant to be brutal, violent and fast.

chopper duke 09-21-2012 01:52 PM

I rode past a place the other day that advertised Krav Maga. I plan on looking into it more. I've been interested in it for some time.

Keebler 09-21-2012 02:06 PM

I've had some interest in it. Especially now that I've learned a lot of cops in my area study it. When I originally sought a good self defense course for law enforcement purposes I figured the best would be Brazillian jiu jitsu but it seems a lot of cops in my area take KM. Correct me if I'm wrong that particular style seems brutal for law enforcement. But if that's what's been agreed on as the best by them then I intend to take it

paintballedbackin88 09-21-2012 02:44 PM

I believe elements of both martial arts, and all martial arts for that matter, would benefit anyone in law enforcement. Our instructor has taught the LAPD and Sheriff's dept about how to properly apply a rear naked choke so that one doesn't accidentally crush the windpipe, an unfortunate, but common occurrence when applied improperly.

Every situation will require the appropriate response. More options is better.

Many law enforcement officers actually train independently in multiple arts, at least the ones I know. It's also a great way to stay in shape.

Many places offer a free first class. I always tell prospective students to take advantage of the free classe to see what arts appeal to them. I've had students come in and say they don't like the grappling aspects of brazilian jiu jitsu and would rather learn a striking art like Kenpo or muy thai. I've also had students come in from backgrounds in shotokan karate and say they prefer grappling. It's also a matter of personal preference, what classes are affordable with convenient access, and what classes have convenient schedules.

Keebler 09-21-2012 02:47 PM

Right im told that in this instance all these officers are trained independently. And that this is not the SOP