mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Eat Like a Man, Look Like a God

I have not seen this topic discuss on Mcarterbrown, so here it is.

What if I said you could eat large, satisfying meals and actually feel full while still losing weight? Its called intermittent fasting. Do not believe the myth that is so common in the fitness industry that it is necessary to eat every 2-3 hours. That the best way is to lose weight is with 5-6 or more meals a day. Its simply not true.

The basic idea of intermittent fasting, is not eating for an extended period of time and then allowing yourself a smaller window of time to eat your daily calories. Now to lose fat you need to eat less calories then expended throughout the day. It really is that simple. How intermittent fasting helps is by eating less often, allows you to eat bigger, more satisfying meals, feeling more full, yet still eating at a deficit to lose weight.

There are a few different protocols for fasting, and I will give you a basic idea of each.

First, from what I have seen that is the most common and preferred preferred is 16-18 hour fasts. This allows you for an approximately 8 hour window of eating. Generally the easiest schedule as well, which usually involves skipping breakfast, eating lunch and dinner, then not eating again until lunch the next day.

20 hour fasts are the same concept. Fast for 20 hours, and allow a 4 hour period for eating.

24 hour fasting, also sometimes known as alternate day fasting, is usually done by fasting 24 hours, eating normally the next day, then fasting again the following day. Other people do 24 hour fasts just 2 or 3 times a week, eating normally on all the other day.

The idea may sound bad to you at first, and I agree, the first few days beginning intermittent fasting are the worst, but once your body adjusts, its easy. Fasting actually has a hunger blunting effect, so once your body adjusts, you typically wont feel hungry when you usually would. Caffeine is also known to act as an appetite suppressant, and can be taken during the fast to help suppress your hunger. It can be taken in the form of coffee, green tea (my favorite), or any other 0 calorie beverage, or even caffeine pills.

Look at these websites for great information regarding fasting. They provide factual, referenced studies regarding the subject.
Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
Mark's Daily Apple
Brad Pilon's Blog - Eat Stop Eat, Intermittent Fasting, Nutrition, Fasting and the art of losing weight and building muscle.

Now, my personal opinion of fasting. It sounded good when I first heard about it, so I started it. Now, I don't plan on stopping. Its more of a lifestyle choice rather than a diet. Combined with a proper diet and weight training, I have noticed very significant changes in my body composition.

So any questions or comments? Want to know certain information, but too lazy to look though those websites, ask and I will try to find you a referenced article answering your question.

Discuss.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
all work

Wow... I've been on this diet for decades without even knowing it had been formalized.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gobble Gobble...

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
It's funny that you posted this. 'Ive been thinking about trying intermittent fasting for a while now, and will probably give it a go in January.

My girlfriend an I have been doing the "Paleo" thing for a little while now, and I've lost a little over 30 pounds doing it. IF seems like it would fit into the paleo or primal lifestyle pretty easily.

Some of my collection

My MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
Old guns are more fun for me than new guns. I play paintball for fun. I don't play to win any more than I have sex to make babies.
HokiePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I love it, mornings feel so much more productive with it. Don't have to worry about making breakfast or lunch, and you also get to sleep in a little later. When using it to lose weight, you get to feel full everyday since your cramming all those calories into just 8hrs.
PBRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via MSN to matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I started using the "MyFitnessPal" app. It's been awesome. I know when I'm under or over calorie budget and can adjust accordingly.

If I want to go to all you can eat sushi and pig out, I watch what I eat for breakfast and lunch, snack on low calorie, filling foods like raw veggies and I'm golden.

Been losing weight doing it.

The app also tracks weekly calorie budget so you can have a "cheat day" if you want.
Good to hear you are making progress.
I'm going to make an example from you.
Meal frequency has shown no effects on weight loss, like you said just calories is all that matters. You can eat all day long, just as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. IF is just a tool in my opinion to help those that struggle eating less, or those that just enjoy eating bigger, more filling meals.
Though, lately, after really starting to enjoy veggies, if I wanted to, I could probably eat all day, relying on veggies to fill me up. Never knew how much I like broccoli until very recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePB View Post
It's funny that you posted this. 'Ive been thinking about trying intermittent fasting for a while now, and will probably give it a go in January.

My girlfriend an I have been doing the "Paleo" thing for a little while now, and I've lost a little over 30 pounds doing it. IF seems like it would fit into the paleo or primal lifestyle pretty easily.
marksdailyapple seems to be more focused on the paleo and IF lifestyle. Definitely check out that site. They actually sell a cookbook called the Primal Blueprint, or something like that. That whole site is really dedicated to the primal type living so to say. Glad to hear your progress as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
I love it, mornings feel so much more productive with it. Don't have to worry about making breakfast or lunch, and you also get to sleep in a little later. When using it to lose weight, you get to feel full everyday since your cramming all those calories into just 8hrs.
Definitely. Every so often seem to eat too much, a lot of veggies, getting really full, almost to the point where I should not have eaten as much, yet I know I am still likely under my calories. My current situation unfortunately doesn't let me count calories. Stuck on a boat with no nutrition value anywhere.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I started using the "MyFitnessPal" app. It's been awesome. I know when I'm under or over calorie budget and can adjust accordingly.

If I want to go to all you can eat sushi and pig out, I watch what I eat for breakfast and lunch, snack on low calorie, filling foods like raw veggies and I'm golden.

Been losing weight doing it.

The app also tracks weekly calorie budget so you can have a "cheat day" if you want.
I've been using the same app. It's great!
Dropped some weight and finally broke through my plateau.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I was going to try this, but I forgot and ate a donut -.-

I'm going to try the myfitnesspal app!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gobble Gobble...

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
marksdailyapple seems to be more focused on the paleo and IF lifestyle. Definitely check out that site. They actually sell a cookbook called the Primal Blueprint, or something like that. That whole site is really dedicated to the primal type living so to say.
You're right, that is a great site, with a tremendous amount of information about living "primally" as they call it. Really great stuff.

Some of my collection

My MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
Old guns are more fun for me than new guns. I play paintball for fun. I don't play to win any more than I have sex to make babies.
HokiePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Good to know how I lost so much weight.

Isn't that diet called "Being a college student though?"
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
Good to know how I lost so much weight.

Isn't that diet called "Being a college student though?"
There's nothing "magic" about, you still need to be on a calorie deficit to lose weight. IF just makes it easier to cope with, and slightly more efficient.

Last edited by PBRevolution; 12-23-2012 at 04:21 PM.
PBRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness