mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
there is nothing wrong with upright rows. they are a great trap exercise.

as far as the book, yes he is majorly involved in the power lifting world, but the fundamentals are the same. the book is geared towards a beginner in the lifting world, whether power lifting, body building, or just weight lifting. you have to build a base to work off of and his starting strength program is the best way to do that. when you hit the intermediate level you can branch into whatever your goal may be.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I finally got around to a proper gym and had my deadlift form checked before I started lifting any amount of respectable weight. I'm pretty glad I did that because I had the general idea, but I wasn't loading my legs 100% before moving the bar, or at least that's how the trainer described it. At the very least I wasn't pulling too much with my lower back. He also taught me how to properly grip the bar for deads and cleans.

I'm also going to work on powercleans with a trainer this week, too. Those are pretty hard for me to do properly. I was sort of doing a stripped down version before. Everything says proper technique will allow you to clean a lot more weight. Makes sense. Anyone have insight to share on powercleans?

What do I want to look for in lifting shoes? I've heard a lot of people use Converse. What about something like the New Balance Minimus? I'm guessing I want a flat-bottomed shoe that keeps me low to the ground.

Will skate shoes work for now? I have a pair of old DCs that aren't that beat up. I'd like to get a proper shoe since the gym probably won't let me lift barefoot but I want to research shoes first.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 03-19-2013 at 07:20 AM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Slappadink.... Here Here... good advice.... I met with a trainer then started P90X, Insanity, and will start Crossfit this summer... P90X got me in the best shape of my life... 2 years ago I had high BP... now I am competing in Triathlons. Just don't burn out ... make it a way of life
evets22920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

In terms of injury, you just have to know your limits man. It's alright to push limits in some cases (like benching and stuff, if you have a spotter it's cool to add a few more pounds when you feel ready)... Go with a bit less weight and really focus on form and isolating the muscles. If you do a lot of really heavy lifting, most of the time it causes neighboring muscles and stronger muscles to pitch in and take some of the strain off of the muscles you want to work.

I'm starting to do a lot of military presses, but I incorporate the upright row into it. Works the shoulders (traps and delts) really well, biceps a bit, and some of the upper/outer chest. Slap that into your routine and change up your bench presses some. Do some flies, incline especially for the inner pecs. close-grip chinups/pullups to do up the lats and give you a bit more V-shape.

Some folks are cool with doing like 1,000,000 variations of the bench press but I like using different exercises to make workouts a bit more exciting. That way you can also find exercises that better target the exact spots you want to firm up.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

When is it time to switch to a mixed grip on my deadlift?

I've still been going strong, basically been doing SS for 1.5 months now. My body looks different, I am way stronger, and my body fat is probably around 12% now. I'm eating about 500 calories over maintenance and I'm still able to put more weight on the bar each workout (although I have been doing my compounds 5x5 so I don't always add 10 pounds on every lift, sometimes it's just +5). I guess I'm doing like a combination of SL and SS.

Anyway, my deadlift is at 2x BW right now and I use a regular overhand grip. Sometimes the bar feels like it's slipping out of my hands. Should I change my grip or am I just not holding the bar with enough force?

I also learned that most novice programs are done AxBxAxxBxAxBxx. I have been lifting AxBx ad nauseum. I also do deadlifts as 1x5 @ 100% of 5RM, 1x8 @ 80%, 1x12 @ 50%. I am thinking that this is messing up my recovery time and I am thinking about doing two weeks of training where I do all compounds 3x12 with less weight.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 04-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Eat lots of lean protein. Egg whites, turkey, chicken, and if you must high percentage lean ground beef. You should eat every 2.5-3 hours starting within 45min of waking up in the morning. Try to stay away from fake proteins and dairy...including WHEY!! Also, make sure you take some fiber in so you dont get, uh, constipated. Also be sure to eat your veggies. Good stuff like broccoli, peas, coliflour (spelling), and yams!

Spread the workouts out, and lift until failure. Take a 3min break and go back and do as many reps of the same you were doing until failure again. Then switch to a different muscle group.

Pretty simple.
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would just wait until pb revolution comes across this thread lol. The 2-3 hour feeds has been bunked honestly. I still eat that way cause im used to it. If your trying to bulk up i wouldnt bother eating "the lean version" of anything. Theres not much fat in an egg to begin with and most of the nutrients are in the yolk. That egg white crap is pointless. Lean beef is eghhhh. The fats are actually beneficial to you and your muscles. Natural fats mind you.

At some point in time all our bodies outpace our hands ability to hold the weight we can lift. Grip strengtheners and straps help. I would take a look at T. H. T. From musclehack.com thats been very helpful for me
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 04-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingYerMail View Post
When is it time to switch to a mixed grip on my deadlift?

I've still been going strong, basically been doing SS for 1.5 months now. My body looks different, I am way stronger, and my body fat is probably around 12% now. I'm eating about 500 calories over maintenance and I'm still able to put more weight on the bar each workout (although I have been doing my compounds 5x5 so I don't always add 10 pounds on every lift, sometimes it's just +5). I guess I'm doing like a combination of SL and SS.

Anyway, my deadlift is at 2x BW right now and I use a regular overhand grip. Sometimes the bar feels like it's slipping out of my hands. Should I change my grip or am I just not holding the bar with enough force?

I also learned that most novice programs are done AxBxAxxBxAxBxx. I have been lifting AxBx ad nauseum. I also do deadlifts as 1x5 @ 100% of 5RM, 1x8 @ 80%, 1x12 @ 50%. I am thinking that this is messing up my recovery time and I am thinking about doing two weeks of training where I do all compounds 3x12 with less weight.
Should ever use a mixed grip. According to rippetoe anyway

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid1845 View Post
Eat lots of lean protein. Egg whites, turkey, chicken, and if you must high percentage lean ground beef. You should eat every 2.5-3 hours starting within 45min of waking up in the morning. Try to stay away from fake proteins and dairy...including WHEY!!
I did everything you said NOT to do, and it got me from this,

to this,

Not the same pose but you get the idea.

I would stop eating around midnight, workout when i woke up, and then have my very first meal at 4 in the afternoon. Yes, that is 16hrs of NO eating every day.

I got half of my protein from whey, that's 4 scoops a day (100g of protein). There rest was from either ground beef or greek yogurt.

I'm going to say that the fasting and whey didn't have a negative effect.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

May i reiterate i hate you pb
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness