mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
A.B.K.

CCM Fan
Make sure you poop before lifting.

no joke.
SOGAmember666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingYerMail View Post
When is it time to switch to a mixed grip on my deadlift?
When you can no longer use same side grip. Everyone is going to have different grip strength, there is not set weight. Mixed grip does add additional more strain to your bicep but that should be an issue unless your pulling some serious weight.

You could also use lifting straps, sporting goods stores usually sell them for about $5 a pair.

I currently just use them for shrugs and pulldowns, I save the deadlifts to work on grip strength. But I'm just trying to maintain my current deadlift though, so grip failing isn't really an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
May i reiterate i hate you pb
Hopefully the knowledge @ IM will help you, I've definitely gained a lot from them.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

We will def see. Its a step in the right direction.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
You could also use lifting straps, sporting goods stores usually sell them for about $5 a pair.
Better to work on your grip strength instead. Grip strength is essential for not dropping weights, especially if you're going to do fun stuff like cleans. Chalk helps a lot too, as wet hands wreck your grip on a round bar, even with aggressive knurling.

I'm essentially starting over from scratch right now in the gym after knee and ankle problems and then turning into a couch potato for a few years. I'm using the StrongLifts 5x5, which is a variation of Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, but with less volume of deadlifts. Lifting again is a ton of fun, and after the first couple sessions and the DOMS pain, not all that hard.

Newbie gains are the best, BTW. If everything goes right, I'll have tripled my squats, deads, and bench by September. My knees actually hurt less now that they're getting used to doing weighted ***-to-grass squats again too!

Squats : Do them.

Quote:
I have that book and I've been using it. I'm not too inclined to just shove weight on the bar every work out, and I know that Rippetoe is/was a powerlifter. I'm currently taking a break from running so I've been trying to do moderate sets / moderate reps / moderate weight with short rests, rather than just go for brute power. I think Rippetoe also advocates a half gallon of whole milk per day; I'm eating a lot and my body fat is around 10-11% now but I'm not letting it get higher even if that means less strength gains. I'm sure I won't get as strong doing this but at this point I think doing anything at all and focusing on form will help me increase my muscle mass. My back and chest are starting to look noticeably different.
The focus isn't entirely on always adding weight to the bar. The big caveat that Rippetoe doesn't always seem to stress hard enough (because he takes it as given) is that you only add weight if you've managed to do all the reps at the previous weight with perfect form. A rep you fall off form is a failed rep, and thus you should repeat that weight next workout to get it right.

Last edited by Wraith; 05-12-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Reply
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
The focus isn't entirely on always adding weight to the bar. The big caveat that Rippetoe doesn't always seem to stress hard enough (because he takes it as given) is that you only add weight if you've managed to do all the reps at the previous weight with perfect form. A rep you fall off form is a failed rep, and thus you should repeat that weight next workout to get it right.
Yeah now I know this. I actually hurt my back doing cleans about 48 hours ago. I got checked out by the doctor on campus and I just over-extended the lumbar muscle. My back's pretty stiff and achey but it doesn't really hurt so I'm pretty fortunate. I got way too greedy and over-confident with the cleans and I brought the weight up way too quickly without really understanding how much weight it was, if that makes sense, and hesitated to go under it so my back went backwards.

Anyway. I was thinking about taking a week off anyway because all my lifts are starting to really stall. I roll them back down but progress is still slower than it was even a couple of weeks ago. I think I need to eat more but I don't want to let my body fat get out of control over the summer because I'm vain. I'm also having trouble physically eating as many calories as I need these days. I don't have any interest in supplements.

I was pretty strong given my body weight before I started doing this, and it's been about two months doing something like SS. I've been thinking about switching to something different, like a push/pull with two heavy days and two light days per week. For pulling I would do deadlifts on the heavy day and cleans on the light day and keep the cleans reasonable. I really like doing a lot of those, my dumb *** just needs to use less weight. I have no idea if this is a legitimate idea though. I originally wanted to do a push/pull when I first started but I couldn't handle it. I think I can now though, especially if I can't increase the weight as aggressively.

And those newbie gains are amazing, my chest has literally grown three inches, my shoulders too. My forearms are getting bigger as well, which is my favorite.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 05-15-2013 at 07:13 AM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Yeah now I know this. I actually hurt my back doing cleans about 48 hours ago. I got checked out by the doctor on campus and I just over-extended the lumbar muscle. My back's pretty stiff and achey but it doesn't really hurt so I'm pretty fortunate. I got way too greedy and over-confident with the cleans and I brought the weight up way too quickly without really understanding how much weight it was, if that makes sense, and hesitated to go under it so my back went backwards.

Anyway. I was thinking about taking a week off anyway because all my lifts are starting to really stall. I roll them back down but progress is still slower than it was even a couple of weeks ago. I think I need to eat more but I don't want to let my body fat get out of control over the summer because I'm vain. I'm also having trouble physically eating as many calories as I need these days. I don't have any interest in supplements.

I was pretty strong given my body weight before I started doing this, and it's been about two months doing something like SS. I've been thinking about switching to something different, like a push/pull with two heavy days and two light days per week. For pulling I would do deadlifts on the heavy day and cleans on the light day and keep the cleans reasonable. I really like doing a lot of those, my dumb *** just needs to use less weight. I have no idea if this is a legitimate idea though. I originally wanted to do a push/pull when I first started but I couldn't handle it. I think I can now though, especially if I can't increase the weight as aggressively.

And those newbie gains are amazing, my chest has literally grown three inches, my shoulders too. My forearms are getting bigger as well, which is my favorite.
I had to take this Monday off because I was wrecked from playing airball all night Friday evening, then woodsball all day Saturday. I failed out on my warmup reps for squats, and just gave up and did my upper body stuff then called it a day.

Not eating enough will -absolutely- hurt your gains when it comes to raw strength. Recovery and muscle building is slower on a deficit, and once you're moving serious amounts of weight you'll start to feel it.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do after SS? I want to continue to get stronger and more powerful.

All my lifts are approaching the middle of "intermediate" benchmarks and doing back squats 3x a week is getting insane. I front squat on the days I deadlift now and that's alright but I feel like I only have another month or two of solid progression on SS.

My OHP stalled pretty badly, maybe because I wasn't benching properly for a while, so while my bench has been going up I've started doing jerks in place of OHP. Power Cleans are my favorite lift and I think I want to start getting into Oly lifting.

Should I find a coach to learn the lifts properly? My clean definitely needs some work in terms of technique and form, and I want to start snatching but I feel like if my clean isn't where it needs to be (technique wise) that's a bad idea. I also feel guilty working on jerks when my clean form is still subpar.

I notice a lot of people who snatch where straps. Is it dangerous not to? I have no idea how you can safely fail the lift if the gym won't allow you to throw/drop the weight.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
you can throw/drop the weight if its a safety issue (like you failed or hurt yourself or lost balance or something). gyms dont want you dropping weight on every single set like those idiot crossfit dudes

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
gyms dont want you dropping weight on every single set like those idiot crossfit dudes
I found that very funny lol
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do after SS? I want to continue to get stronger and more powerful.

All my lifts are approaching the middle of "intermediate" benchmarks and doing back squats 3x a week is getting insane. I front squat on the days I deadlift now and that's alright but I feel like I only have another month or two of solid progression on SS.

My OHP stalled pretty badly, maybe because I wasn't benching properly for a while, so while my bench has been going up I've started doing jerks in place of OHP. Power Cleans are my favorite lift and I think I want to start getting into Oly lifting.

Should I find a coach to learn the lifts properly? My clean definitely needs some work in terms of technique and form, and I want to start snatching but I feel like if my clean isn't where it needs to be (technique wise) that's a bad idea. I also feel guilty working on jerks when my clean form is still subpar.

I notice a lot of people who snatch where straps. Is it dangerous not to? I have no idea how you can safely fail the lift if the gym won't allow you to throw/drop the weight.
Generally for progression theres no reason for you to do most of the Olympic lifts. Those are "demonstrations of strength" not so much exercises to build strength. For that generally you want to isolate
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness