mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Weight GAIN Shakes/Products

Okay, a little background info:

I was diagnosed with colon cancer back in December. After 12 rounds of chemo, the tumor had become resistant and started growing again. At this point, bowel blockage is a major concern, so my diet has been having to get softer and softer, to the point that now it's practically liquid-based. I'm still dropping weight like crazy (240-170 in the last 7 months), so I obviously need to get more calories and nutrients into my system.

My question is what are some good weight GAIN products that I could try? Seems all the meal replacement type things are geared toward losing weight, but I need the exact opposite.

Any suggestions?

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Oh man I'm sorry to hear this. I have no suggestions but I'm sure someone will have some.
Stay strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your situation, my suggestion would be drink protein shakes they tend to be highish in calories and creatine (Dr suggested creatine to my sister in law, she's 21 5' and weighs like 98 pounds)
Mercenario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
Quickmass is a weight gainer that has something like 1100 calories (60ish grams of protein) in 2 scoops. Ive never personally tried it (because that is ALOT of calories) but it might be worth a try for you!

Weight Gainer, Best Weight Gainer

Best of luck!

Last edited by 300z; 06-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

There's your average whey powder and there is "Weightgainer" powder. For the weightgainer products, the only difference is that they add a cheap carbohydrate source (maltodextrin) to the whey to increase the calorie amount.

Just look for anything labeled Massgainer or weight gainer. I would recommend buying it in 10lb containers or larger as the serving sizes are large.

Have you consulted your doctor about trying to gain weight? I'm not an expert, but I don't believe it's a good idea when your currently have cancer.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Found the article I was looking for, constant eating seems to speed up the growth of cancer, (at last in rats).

In one of the earliest studies, forty-eight rats were split up into two groups of twenty-four. One group ate ad libitum for a week, while the other group underwent alternate day fasting. After one week of the various dietary protocols, both groups were injected with breast cancer. At nine days post-injection, 16 of 24 fasted rats remained alive, while just five of 24 ad-libitum fed rats lived. At ten days post-injection, only three of the 24 ad libitum-fed rats survived; 12 of the 24 fasted rats remained alive.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
i just bought the GNC Massgainer (would have to look at exact name)

its a huge number of calories.... my little brother is our "little anorexic albino kenyan" (tiny white long distance runner ahahahaha)

he has put a couple pounds on this month already....
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Have you consulted your doctor about trying to gain weight? I'm not an expert, but I don't believe it's a good idea when your currently have cancer.
Yeah, they're desperate to keep weight on me. At 6'5" and 170 lbs, I look like a concentration camp survivor. If I don't get some weight and muscle back on me, I'm just going to waste away to nothing...which is a major concern with cancer since then you're so malnourished and weak that your body can't even handle the treatments anymore.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

You may ant to look into going with a brand other than GNC, they tend to have an insanely high markup on their products.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
You may ant to look into going with a brand other than GNC, they tend to have an insanely high markup on their products.
This. Don't buy ANYTHING from GNC unless you absolutely have to.

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your health. I would recommend drinking 1 cup of full-weight, non-died BS olive oil in the mornings. It'll help you squeeze in almost 2k calories (some good fats too) and it'll pass incredibly easy. Godspeed.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness