mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
Probability sides with the rats.
As long as you are not picking rats with specific traits. My issue is not with the results of the study in the article it is with the attempt to generalize the results of the study to the entire population. The study specifically selected members with a certain trait - Type II diabetes. Since this trait does influence digestion it is not reasonable to generalize the study to the rest of the population including individuals who do not have Type II diabetes.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Haven't read Carter's article, but have seen several studies in the past with non-targeted subjects that suggested similar results. HOWEVER any difference in fat composition between constant eating and intermittent eating is very negligible.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
Haven't read Carter's article, but have seen several studies in the past with non-targeted subjects that suggested similar results. HOWEVER any difference in fat composition between constant eating and intermittent eating is very negligible.
Quote:
Over 12 weeks, people with Type 2 diabetes who ate just breakfast and lunch lost an average of 1.23 points in body mass index, or BMI, compared with a loss of 0.82 point for those who ate six smaller meals of the same nutritional and energy content. The data, in a small study involving 54 patients, were presented today at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Chicago.
All sorts of wrong are going on here, first of all as we all agreed in previous threads BMI doesn't even measure fat or health, it's a height to weight ratio. So theirs a lot of fallacies implied here from the start. Maybe people who ate more meals gained more muscle mass? Clearly that wouldn't be a bad thing. 2nd is the size of the group, even for being a small percentage of a population 54 people hardly makes up a reasonable sample size considering millions of people have type 2 diabetes. Where the meals controlled? As in each group ate the exact same thing every day?

Their's way too much pseudo science and stats going on in the news today. It's annoying because it hurts the real scientific process and legitimizes those who cut corners to push an agenda.

If you want to get real deep into it this article is pretty well sited in any college stats class

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/3/464.full
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Why are you quoting me, I'm not commenting on the original article.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
boo
Banned

HOWEVER any difference in fat composition between constant eating and intermittent eating is very negligible. I think 1.23 on rhe bmi is pretty negligible, just agreeing
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Gotcha, definitely too many people mistaking believe think eating patterns have a noticeable in composition. All the misinformation spewed out about nutrition gets annoying after a while.

I personally use the fasting method myself when I'm trying to loose weight, but I due it out of convenience, not function.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

PBR's credibility went out the window as soon as he suggested in my thread that halting uncontrolled weight loss in cancer patients was a bad idea.

(Just trolling for the heck of it, of course.)

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
PBR's credibility went out the window as soon as he suggested in my thread that halting uncontrolled weight loss in cancer patients was a bad idea.

(Just trolling for the heck of it, of course.)
I agree with working to prevent further weight loss, that's obviously important to your well being, but I was under the impression that you intended to gain back the weight you lost while the cancer is still active.

As I said, I'm not an expert but I personally believe something that makes your body grow will also help to make your tumor grow quicker too.

Preventing further weight loss is important but IMO trying to actually gain weight at this point may do more harm then good.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Yeah, cuz obesity and overeating is a serious problem among people battling cancer.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
The generalizability of that study is highly suspect considering it was done with a selected group (people with type II diabetes) and the criteria for that selection is likely to influence the results. As such unless you are similiar to the criteria used for selection (ie you have type II diabetes) the studies results may not be relevant to you.

I still think that people make too much of the when you eat. I know there are exceptions and those attempting to hit peak goals at a certain time (ie I want to run this race at 8:05) may be able to use nutritionally timing to their benefit. However for most the purposes of losing weight the key is to burn more calories than consumed - exact time of consumption is not likely to matter for most of us.
Agreed. There's also plenty of evidence that supports intermittent fasting helping with weight loss and metabolism gains.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness