mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Beginning an exercise regimine, need some input.

Hey folks!

Doctor has been ordering me to get more exercise for several years now. Partly for my cholesterol (bad c is fine, but the good c needs improvement) and blood sugar (pre-diabetic). Paintball has actually been providing me not only the first outdoor activity I really look forward to in years, but a reason to get into better shape with more immediate, tangible results.

I've done stuff in the past, but its been so long ago I'm making myself from scratch. Last time I tried restarting and didn't do that? I hurt myself pretty bad! Don't want to go through that again.

Right now I'm doing (from Pavel Tatsouline's "Enter The Kettlebell"):

2 x 1 minute - Face The Wall Squats w/26lb kettlebell
2 x 1 minute - Military Press w/26lb kettlebell
2 x 1 minute - Halos w/26lb kettlebell

Doing this on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and that's it. Just want to start off, that's a lot of rest in-between, and on Sundays I'm playing paintball. My legs felt pretty weak for about two days after this past Tuesday, but Thursday was okay.

I'm going to keep up with this for a while; want to make sure I've got adequate strength and endurance built up before I move on! Military Press will get switched out with Turkish Squats, but I need to get my right side built up first. I'm left handed, and the strength imbalance is pretty terrible right now (fun fact: I prefer to shoot right-handed). According to ETK, I need to be able to get in 10 minutes of FTWS, Halos, and Pumps (something I need to add) done as a warmup before Turkish get-ups and Swings.

I'm also trying to walk the dog a bit more, a bit longer, and that'll be good for us both.

Anyhow, what I'm wondering is...

1. I'm taking it slow, or at least that's the plan. Any advice on impatience? I need to

2. Supplements; any advice? I'm taking a multivitamin, and that's about it. Whether its for post-workout, or post-game, I'd like to know what I can do to help my body recover from whatever demands I place on it.

3. Anything else? I really, REALLY want to keep things simple, you know? Too complicated and I get frustrated, but I'm also the type who really wants to complicate things. One of those odd things in my brain.

I'm not trying to get all big and wow. I do, however, want to shed a good number of pounds (initial goal is to get from my ~215lbs to under 200lbs to make my doctor happier), and be in better shape for paintball on Sundays
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

A good piece of advice I ran across is when you are exercising consider how those exercises will help you become good at what you want to do. For instance how will doing ____________ make you better at paintball (tennis, football, hunting, whatever activity you enjoy). This will help motivate you to keep with it
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cocker Lover

What's your diet like? That's an important factor. Make sure to take time to stretch properly as well before and after work outs.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Diet? Getting better. I've cut my fast food intake way down, trying to avoid most simple and refined carbs except on my "cheat day" (hard because fried food = love, and rice is such a great staple). So, trying to keep lean proteins in me, more veggies, and "slow carbs" like beans and lentils. Basically, the "slow carb diet" from Tim Ferriss's 4-hour body.

I'm down 10lbs since I started, which is good. But i reslly need to up my exercise, too.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Begin taking one CLA gelcap before meals.

As far as exercise, do what you like doing and can fit in your schedule.

Set a goal for yourself and don't give yourself a "cheat day" until you've achieved this goal. The goal can be pounds lost (10+ as anything less is water weight), days "clean" (at least 10), etc.

Cheating during your first week of proper eating doesn't set a good precedent.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I've already lost 10lbs. The cheat day, at least from my reading, is a metabolic trick. "Hi! We're no starving! Please keep the metabolism fired up, please!"

I've been hearing/reading about CLA, so thanks for that. Hard to tell what's for real and what's "fad of the month" these days
Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
CLA is good and found naturally in meats and even milk. For weight loss, I would stress avoiding milk and substituting unsweetened almond milk if you're the cereal for breakfast type. Like Arnold said "milk is for babies!"

I buy cheap CLA from Costco. It's the only supplement other than a cheap, basic multivitamin (also from Costco) that I take.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So far so good. Right now I've added to my supplementation... I'm taking a multivitamin, CLA, fish oil, and green tea extract (yay Costco). Feels pretty good so far. Oh, and my normal caffeine addiction.

I reread ETK, and changed to be very basic. 2 x 1.5 minutes of pump stretches, halos, and FTW squats. Did that on Monday, and I'm still a bit sore. I'll repeat tomorrow - that should be enough rest. I'm not sure how long til I can get to doing the whole thing 3-4 times a week, but that's my goal.

Once I get there, I can start to add in swings and Turkish get-ups.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
You shoud set 30min of gym time minimum per session(times to changes doesnt count). That help for result as it burn as much calories as the session after.
PaintballGear / Ansgear
Feedback
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro7976 View Post
Yeah that's the plan. I want to play with it this summer and see if I can develop a relationship with her. Good luck with your sale man.
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoitOWN View Post
You shoud set 30min of gym time minimum per session(times to changes doesnt count). That help for result as it burn as much calories as the session after.
That sounds like a good goal

I'm still working on getting my current 10 minutes done with good form; its hard! Better safe than sloppy >_<

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness