mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Superhero Scramble

Was at Pump Panda this last weekend, barely got some playing in on Sunday but I did. Was asked to share this here, it's what I did the Saturday of P.P. instead of shooting paintballs during Pump Castle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiM6Jw02kbI

This was at Plattekill Mountain. You can see the course layout here (http://superheroscramble.com/uploads...rseMap2013.pdf). The straight line between obstacle 7 (cargo nets) and 9 (rope climb) was up. A lot of just up. Think of going up from EMR's rec center to the old Firebase Voodoo. Now do that 10 times. Ridiculously tiring. Obstacle 8 being a barbed wire mud crawl. Or rather... barbed wire rock crawl. Mud was kind of scarce. Glad I forgot my knee pads in the trunk! Dammit.

The shoes I'm wearing are Reebok Realflex 2.0. Which normally I've been loving them on obstacle courses this year. They don't hold water or mud so they don't get heavy (which last years shoes did, huge problem when it feels like you have sandbags strapped to your ankles). The tread is deep and knobby and usually have great traction on trails and everything. But this event on a few obstacles I was having horrible traction. They were awful on the rock wall climb & on the vertical wall climb. I kept trying over and over on the wall, different pressure locations like on the heels or a flat foot. I was sucking bad on that one.

Overall had a fun time. Even with cramping my quads by mile 4 and breaking the GoPro harness. I definitely want to tackle this one again next year in better shape and crush my previous time. Plus I was expecting 4 miles, ended up being about 6.2m. So I'm quite sore, and this weekend have the Tough Mudder in Buffalo to look forward to. I'll be lucky if I can run for even half of those 11+ miles. Oh, and got an email from them saying that it's a 1/2 mile walk from parking lot to the TM course. Hooray!

Oh, and right now I'm signed up for next year. I know, early planning, right? Well after discount code NY30, plus being a firefighter get a "real superhero" discount, and it being early bird... it cost me $30 to sign up. So yeah taking advantage of that. If something bad happens and I can't make it, oh well I'm out a few bucks. Whereas if I wait to see if I can make it next year it'll probably cost me $80.

Last edited by Meph; 07-23-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
So I'm quite sore, and this weekend have the Tough Mudder in Buffalo to look forward to. I'll be lucky if I can run for even half of those 11+ miles. Oh, and got an email from them saying that it's a 1/2 mile walk from parking lot to the TM course. Hooray!
I just looked into the Tough Mudder details last week at a friends suggestion and all I could say was no ****ing way. You must be in pretty good shape, or just plain nuts to attempt that. Good for you.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I've done tough murder a few times, and warrior dash once. Fun

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Dances with Dirt - now granted MI does not have those hills but there are sections of it that go through a swamp, one that goes through the lake, etc.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trololol

Fan of EMR
Just did Tough Mudder yesterday Gainman. Electroshock therapy wasn't what I thought it'd be like. Expected a constant jolt from the wires. Was more like quick pulse when you have static electricity and touch a doorknob. Only at 10K volts. Was interesting.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Meph, that's just freakin' awesome. You are a tough mudder!
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bacon? Oh God yes!

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Just did Tough Mudder yesterday Gainman. Electroshock therapy wasn't what I thought it'd be like. Expected a constant jolt from the wires. Was more like quick pulse when you have static electricity and touch a doorknob. Only at 10K volts. Was interesting.
Huh, at my mud run they only had mud and obstacles. I guess I would've run faster if someone was trying to shock me too.
I want to do either a Warrior Dash or a Spartan Race. I understand the latter is really hard.

I give my markers names.

WTB 8ci tank

New MCB Feedback

Old MCB Feedback

Last edited by Kermitt; 07-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Kermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trololol

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermitt View Post
Huh, at my mud run they only had mud and obstacles. I guess I would've run faster if someone was trying to shock me too.
I want to do either a Warrior Dash or a Spartan Race. I understand the latter is really hard.
There's 2 of them in TM actually. One you belly crawl through mud water and they dangle down, and the other is just before the finish line and you run through a mud pit with hay bale hurdles. The first one you do your best to keep as low as possible. I almost made it across until at just about the end my shoulder got hit hard. The last one was 2 jolts, and both for me was like taking an overhand to the top of the head. For me at least. Jake, one of the guys on Team Merica, said his shocked him through his legs and almost made him give out.

OH! Had this linked to me, figure I can share. This is Electroshock Therapy at the end. However this guy failed at it kinda. Just freakishly bad luck. I'll share my experience tomorrow, right now my GoPro edit is rendering and I'll upload it to Youtube tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOWIWa6nfOY

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness