mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Tough Mudder

Is a mudder****er.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmY2Imxcb6c

I now have plenty of room for improvement. This is my benchmark for next year. Took about 4 hours to complete, though that does include wait time for obstacles and fiddling with camera equipment. Gunning for sub-3 hour time come 2014.

The logistics of this are impressive. These guys run a tight ship and I'm amazed at how well organized and supplied they were Saturday. Every waterstop had plenty of cups and water, and after the first one each had extras like bananas or energy gummies. Best run/staffed/supplied/organized obstacle course I've ever been to. I see exactly why these guys are at the top of the food chain, they were a level above even Spartans.

Electroshock Therapy. 10,000 volts (equal to about 1.21 gigawatts) of love. It's not as bad as you might think. Oh it hurts. But it's quick. It's pretty much the rape of the obstacle kingdom. You just have to take it and get it over with. But secretly you enjoy it?

Everest. Long wait in line for that one, but I actually benefited from it because I couldn't run otherwise. I was so cramped up that I had to walk to the lines. Then got time to stretch and cool off while waiting. Able to make a final couple pushes to run up that and through E.T.

Funky Monkey. The monkey bars. They don't grease up the bars before hand. It's just that it's covered in all the mud and water from previous attempts. So yeah they're slick. I made the arrogant choice of trying to go quick hand over hand. Made about 4 bars then splash. The advice I forgot about until after, 2 hands on the bar and go 1 bar at a time. Next time will need to try it that way. Sadly we didn't have the Rings obstacle, like monkey bars only it's rings on ropes you have to swing your way across American Gladiators style.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
How many people didn't finish?

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

Good luck, keep up the good work.
I'm doing the Tuff Mudder in Kansas City in a couple months.

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_10 View Post
How many people didn't finish?
I don't know if TM keeps up those kinds of statistics, except a yearly end tally maybe. Along the course I didn't see too many injuries, but I'd guess on the time I went along I saw about 4 people being carted around for various reasons. Pretty much leg issues, knee or ankle wraps, no protruding bones. Saw plenty of people on the sidelines stretching, but they all seemed to be people who wanted to keep going on so I doubt many or any of them dropped out.

There was only a few actual vertical climbs, overall it was mostly rolling hills type of terrain. Plenty of rocks and roots. But few places were steep. So the layout of the land wasn't dangerous. And the obstacles are fun & challenging but not injury inducing. Unlike some other venues I've been to who try to make theirs more difficult and thus make obstacles that I can see people easily injuring themselves on with slipped footing at just the wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent7 View Post
Good luck, keep up the good work.
I'm doing the Tuff Mudder in Kansas City in a couple months.
If you have good shoes and good socks, everything else will fall in line. I have Underarmor socks, like $20 for 3 pair. They get destroyed a little too easy, but they don't hold water and I don't have a single blister or other issue on either foot to date. Cost sucks but being able to walk the next day without your shoe rubbing into the previous weekends wounds is better.

My hamstrings however are still sore as ****.

Last edited by Meph; 07-29-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
this was fun last year. me and the guys showed up with about 15 of us. one fracured his hip to the point of bone sticking out.

otherwise it wasnt overly difficult, but we had a few months to prepare

For Sale

Hawkeye20: "......Hit!..............medic..... oh God...."
pghp8ntballer: "Cause you know, first strike and flatline systems together with a scope allow you to shoot into the future."
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

The last Dances with Dirt I ran we were going up this very steep, very wet, and very slick clay embankment. It was not very long but it was a challenge to make it up and you certainly did not do so by running. Looking two runners ahead of me this guy was pulling himself up on the vines which seemed placed just for that purpose. The girl in front of me asks "is that poison ivy". Yes, yes it was. That aside Dances with Dirt is a relay with most of the stages being fairly short (I think the longest one is like 6 miles) so you have adequate time to rest in between with a team of five.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Team Lockdown

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
My team has done a couple of Tough Mudders, including Tahoe last month....Lots o' fun!

the stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Team Lockdown

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Is a mudder****er.

The logistics of this are impressive. These guys run a tight ship and I'm amazed at how well organized and supplied they were Saturday. Every waterstop had plenty of cups and water, and after the first one each had extras like bananas or energy gummies. Best run/staffed/supplied/organized obstacle course I've ever been to. I see exactly why these guys are at the top of the food chain, they were a level above even Spartans.
I concur - the TM logistics staff does a superb job managing the events - on the course and in the staging area. These guys have their system pretty much down now & it comes across very slick & professional.

AWESOME video, love the soundtrack....bravo!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Team Lockdown

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-q5VGoWAI

From a few weeks ago at Tahoe...

Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Barned

[QUOTE=Meph;2768181]Is a mudder****er.

Electroshock Therapy. 10,000 volts (equal to about 1.21 gigawatts) of love. It's not as bad as you might think. Oh it hurts. But it's quick. It's pretty much the rape of the obstacle kingdom. You just have to take it and get it over with. But secretly you enjoy it?

QUOTE]
Wow...so a lot of the course has obstacles with electricity running through them? What kind of obstacles with electricity were there?
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness