mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Here the magic words, when involving dogs, is I was in fear for my safety or the safety of others. If the dog poses a threat that a reasonable person would agree is a threat I am in full legal rights to shoot it.

That being said I would much rather it not come to that. I carry a pistol while running as it is but am rather unwilling to use it to prevent myself from being bitten (the first time)

Schmitti you are of course right that stopping and trying to make friends with the dog was an error. It was a spur of the moment "I'm going to solve this" decision that was not a good one. I will have to try walking by it next time.
you are running, you're going to fumble with a gun.

pepper spray is better.

had a similar situation once. was on the far side of the park running laps when this dog got off the car in the parking lot and made a beeline to me barking the whole way. i just kept jogging with my eyes on it. owner quickly called it back, it returned, and they left right away before i could react.

dog seemed aggressive, but also seemed like it was just herding instinct kicking in.

was one of those higlander terrier toy breeds.

it's really easy to see if a dog isn't interested in being pet by you. had a mean looking boxer come up to once while i was walking. didn't bark. only stared the whole way, so i stood still, she sniffed my ankles, i pat her back and she went on her merry way.

just use pepper spray wisely:

Last edited by heinous; 08-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Bring some jerky. When you get to this dogs "territory", slow down to a walking pace and toss it a little treat. A few days of that and you will become the "food guy" not the fastmoving threat. Do not pepperspray or shoot the dog; unless you have serious injuries you will be bringing a world of trouble down on yourself.
i dunno about this. are you gaining the dogs trust, or are you rewarding bad behavior? i wouldn't be feeding other people's dog a treat anyway without their permission.

don't look at the dog (no eye contact at least), don't talk to the dog, and don't try to pet the dog! i would either stop or walk past, as running does trigger prey drive (must chase the thing!!!! lol).
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

NEVER try to pet an unknown dog, that's a great way to get bit. The dog doesn't know why you reaching toward it, so it's likely to get nervous and snap. Nervous dogs are unpredictable.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
NEVER try to pet an unknown dog, that's a great way to get bit. The dog doesn't know why you reaching toward it, so it's likely to get nervous and snap. Nervous dogs are unpredictable.
The dog being aggressive was long before I tried to reach out towards it. This dog was aggressive before I was coming up to it and ran an intercept course to the route I was running. Yes I screwed up offering to let it sniff my hand - but the dog was aggressive well before that action.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Pepper spray or the ammonia in the water gun are good ideas. I think a better idea would be a change in route.

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Pepper spray or the ammonia in the water gun are good ideas. I think a better idea would be a change in route.
One of the disadvantages around here is that "standard" blocks are placed at 1 mile intervals. This is one of the few "half" blocks that result in a 3 mile run around and have hills for interval. That being said there are some adjustments I can make

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness