mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted to paintball

urgent fitness issue

Hello all!
I have a issue that could ruin my fitness career. I was born with flat feet but did get correctional inserts for this. I didnt exactly wear them as i was suppose to so i only have partial arches on both feet. I had awful issues with my feet as a young man but as ive grown i no longer had issues. At the end of my last lacrosse season i started getting awful shin splints. These shin splint were so awful that i would have to take 1000mg of ibuprofen before each game and was literally fearful that my coaches would play me too long and id have to tell them i couldnt last. Everyone i talked to told me that once i didnt have practice daily the issue would resolve itself. An athletic trainer adviced me to lift weights using my feet to strengthen my shins or something like that? They described it as the opposite of calf raises.... how would i go about doing this excersise? Any other reccomendations? I had my first serious workout today and ran 2 miles at various inclines. Tonight i am really feeling the pain.... standing is quite painful... help please...
Thanks
-G

Codename Tada
i like old pb guns
i want an tippmann factory fa
looking for tippmanns and also looking for firestorm gatlin cranks
Looking for 2 identical guns either cheap mechs or cheap electros now making basic double trouble kits.

Last edited by FarisPB; 08-07-2013 at 10:33 PM.
FarisPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tibialis Anterior and Calf Exercise Menu
Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

^^^^

This, and definitely emphasize the calf stretching. Remember that the body is built with systems of opposing muscle groups. Too much strengthening of one without commensurate strengthening of the other can (and does) put a lot of stress on all the areas influenced by those muscles, i.e., joints, bones, connective tissues, etc.

The fun part about the lower leg is that there isn't a whole lot of muscle on the front, and a relative ton on the back. So when the back gets stronger, it stresses the front, which often cannot compensate properly.

What your weight trainer is suggesting is to strengthen your tibi-ants in order not only to alleviate the pain, but the stress imbalance that is causing it. A good and easy exercise you can do anywhere is to walk around on your heels only, with your feet really hoisted. Wear shoes unless you are a glutton for heel pain, or else are on spongy ground or yoga mats. You'll immediately feel the burn in your tibi-ants. Do that for a couple minutes at a time, and then a little gentle calf stretching on a stair with your heels hanging out over empty space, and that should really help get things moving in the right direction. Don't vigorously stretch a cold muscle, and never bounce when stretching. Muscles are always best stretched hot.

Be sure as well that at the end of every normal exercise period, practice, etc., when your muscles are nice and hot, to really stretch out those calves, which will also help a great deal.

Good luck, don't panic, and keep in close contact with your trainers.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted to paintball

Thanks a lot guys very helpful!

Codename Tada
i like old pb guns
Looking for 2 identical guns either cheap mechs or cheap electros now making basic double trouble kits.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Guess I'm not the only one that gets bad shin splints. It sucks when I run and have to stop because of my shins and not because i'm out of breath.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Do you stand where you work? With your feet pointed straight (or close to straight) in front of you raise the heel of your feet together until you are on the balls of your feet. Slowly let yourself back down. Repeat. And repeat - it can correct a lot of "alignment" while running that can contribute to shin splints.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted to paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Do you stand where you work? With your feet pointed straight (or close to straight) in front of you raise the heel of your feet together until you are on the balls of your feet. Slowly let yourself back down. Repeat. And repeat - it can correct a lot of "alignment" while running that can contribute to shin splints.
Really? That is very helpful

Codename Tada
i like old pb guns
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I've been doing a bunch of tibia raises, seems to be helping a bit also

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindrummer View Post
Really? That is very helpful
It strengthens the muscles that are involved in pronation issues which will help a lot with shin splint, ankle, and knee issues.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
It strengthens the muscles that are involved in pronation issues which will help a lot with shin splint, ankle, and knee issues.
Have a question though, is pain in the front of the leg actually a shin splint? I thought shin splints were actual fractures in the bone, is there possibly another name for the problem?

after a 1/4 mile of running my shins are normally on fire, after a week of streching, using the tibia raise machine and running more it seems to get better. Finally made a 10 minute mile last friday.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness