mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Bike Maintenance/Protection Questions

I have an older specialized HardRock that I've been using as a commuter bike around town and campus while I'm at college. The bike has always been garage kept so I haven't had these issues before but I'm starting to notice some rust as it's being kept in a carport outside my dorm with the rest of the bikes.

Is there a good solution to rust? I'm noticing it on the handlebars more than anything. Also, basic maintenance on a bicycle. What should I do/not do?

Thanks,
Josh
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

a good solution to rust is to keep the bike dry. always dry it off and lube the chain after it gets wet. the handlebars and frame should be aluminum; do you mean the bolts in the stem are rusted? it should be fine...you can always replace them though if you're concerned about it. they're just metric bolts; you'ld need to measure to find out the size though.

basic maintenance...clean and lube the chain and keep the tires at the proper psi. mineral spirits (get at wal-mart) is good for degreasing the chain. you can make your own lube with a 2-1 mix of mineral spirits and synthetic motor oil. costs maybe $20 and lasts forever and a day.

then you have the usual stuff that wears out or needs adjusting over time: are the tires worn? are the brakes worn? do the derailers need adjusting? do the brake / shifter cables and housings operate smoothly? do the wheels need to be trued? you can do everything yourself if you're mechanically inclined and have the right tools, otherwise the bike shop is you friend. park tool has some handy diy guides though.

that's about it...keep it dry, keep it clean, keep it lubed.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

one thing I do with my motorcycles that spend time outside is spray just about everything (not including seat, grips,tires or levers) with silicone spray every once is awhile. Just a light coat helps displace moisture and silicone spray does not attract dirt as much as other lubes.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
boo
Banned

I hate to jump on the miracle product bandwagon but Boeshield is amazing for all things bicycles. It will form a film on most surfaces and prevent rust. I fix up vintage bikes as a hobby and the first thing I do is take them apart clean everything up and Boeshield inside every area. My current bike is a 40+ year old hand built Schwinn that has the paint falling off, but not a spot of rust.

Boeshield T-9 | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Release the kraken

Wd40 on exposed steel and a cover/tarp to shield it further works good as an economy solution. As boo mentions there's specific products available aswell that covers parts as a film.

Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

GT85 around the cranks, hubs, and other places where you want water displaced. Chain oil on the chain. Bar oil will workable it's cheap and can be found at any hardware store.

I wash our bikes every couple months or after days where they get extra dirty. Hose and a bucket of soapy (dish soap) water with a few brushes gets rid of the grime and dirt. Simple Green can also be used to break up and remove grease.

As for maintenance beyond cleaning, if its not broke don't mess with it. If your drive train can switch gears without lots of clunking and your brakes work when you pull the levers, ere isn't much else to do. Check tires for proper pressure too.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
Wd40 on exposed steel and a cover/tarp to shield it further works good as an economy solution.
You just mean the frame right? Not moving parts?

wd-40 and moving parts is... bad.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness