mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I had some experience with a 3 speed before I started driving a manual but not much.

I was wondering all the things you mentioned when I bought my car(An 05 cobalt w/ a 5 speed) as I had little experience in a manual. I was nervous about downshifting, braking, hills, etc. After you actually get in the car and get a feel for it it'll seem much simpler. It did for me at least. Just start slow. When I got my cobalt, I had my dad drive it home for me and I just took it around the neighborhood until I got used to the clutch and shifting gears. I stalled plenty of times but picked it up good enough to get to work within the afternoon.

I drive the living nuts off that car now. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Good luck and have fun!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
So, as Id be coasting, would I try and speed match to put it back in gear? And no worries about a test drive in a manual with mediocre skills?
If you can slam the brakes and stop instantly, first gear. If you can't, second or higher. That's just how I look at it.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
my advice is get a slow vehicle to learn to drive stick on

once you can hustle a slow stick shift vehicle at 11/10ths its abilities then you can move up to things that earlier would bite you on your arse hard for mistakes
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
Im looking at one WRX that has 115k miles on it, and I figure I can get manual down pat with that, and if I burn up the clutch, itll be alright, because it should be nearing getting changed anyways.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
there is a lot more than just the clutch to go wrong in a higher mileage WRX

replacing said clutch will be more involved in the WRX than in a non-awd vehicle . . . that means requiring either more effort or more money from you, or most likely more of both

just something to consider
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Theres two pretty significant hills I have to take to get anywhere in town, so thats not gonna happen. I use the handbrake trick at work on hills, but Im learning on a utility vehicle, so not sure if that same trick works in a real vehicle. And Im wondering about downshifting because there is a toll booth that I dont have to stop at on the other side of a local bridge, but I need to slow down enough to let the pass reader work.
How slow would you be going?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

What's the lifespan of the turbo on those?

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
there is a lot more than just the clutch to go wrong in a higher mileage WRX

replacing said clutch will be more involved in the WRX than in a non-awd vehicle . . . that means requiring either more effort or more money from you, or most likely more of both

just something to consider
Family friend is a mechanic who has experience on Subarus. What are other common things to go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
How slow would you be going?
25-35 from 50 or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
What's the lifespan of the turbo on those?
Not sure.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

When I bought my FR-S (manual transmission), I had about the same level of understanding as you do, it sounds. I also ride motorcycles, so that maybe helped me out a bit, but I was VERY unpracticed with the concept of "clutch with your foot."

Then, on the second day of ownership of my car, I was forced to deal with stop-n-go traffic on one of the busiest highways in Houston, TX during rush hour. I am now a clutch master!

Basically, the point is "there ain't nothin' to it but to do it." The best way to learn something is when you have no other choice but to learn it, or you're in hot water.

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
When I bought my FR-S (manual transmission), I had about the same level of understanding as you do, it sounds. I also ride motorcycles, so that maybe helped me out a bit, but I was VERY unpracticed with the concept of "clutch with your foot."

Then, on the second day of ownership of my car, I was forced to deal with stop-n-go traffic on one of the busiest highways in Houston, TX during rush hour. I am now a clutch master!

Basically, the point is "there ain't nothin' to it but to do it." The best way to learn something is when you have no other choice but to learn it, or you're in hot water.
I am from California...and the stop and go traffic there during rush hour sucks balls...after being in bumper to bumper you know where to apply the clutch for what you are trying to do. HAHA
DoC19K is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage