mcarterbrown.com

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I only drive older vehicles. I just bought a stick shift 85 C20 as a work/beater/fun truck. Its gonna get a rattle can paint job and probably see a fair bit of abuse, but that's why I chose this truck, it can take it. My other truck is an 86 C10 that I am working on getting running, it is a bit of a hot rod and over the next several years should grow into quite a formidable racing truck, drag and autocross. Yes, I am building an old truck to autocross with, it can be done, I want to make people say "that doesn't belong here" then be like "that truck just blew my doors off". It will happen.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
New corvette in auto? I laugh
kill me now
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

My car which is a 2012 VW Golf R ONLY comes with a 6 speed manual transmission which was in all honestly a huge selling point for me. It seems like I've had to go to other over seas based companies to get the cars I want these days.
DoC19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
There is nothing like sitting in a powerful stick shift vehicle, winding up the engine, popping it into 2nd or even 3rd and dumping the clutch, and taking off shredding tires and getting squirley. Automatics are more practical but they are boring.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
There is nothing like sitting in a powerful stick shift vehicle, winding up the engine, popping it into 2nd or even 3rd and dumping the clutch, and taking off shredding tires and getting squirley. Automatics are more practical but they are boring.
but how am I supposed to drink my latté, text my friends, and program my GPS while driving is i have a stick?
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
It seems within the last few years there has been a transition in the performance-driven automotive world from manual to the DCT as the benchmark. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. These companies are all going to the Dual Clutch technology. You can't buy a full size truck with a stick anymore either, which is unfortunate.

Personally I'll be driving with a manual as long as I can. I've tried driving with paddles before, and while it's faster it just isn't as fun. I like operating machines with levers and pedals. Thoughts?
the manual is not dead. they are just moving it to steering wheel now. since saver to have person use paddle system then stick shift to drive. since you do not have to take your hand off wheel any more. we might have some place might make it law that all cars trucks suv go to paddle shifters. but any one do long hauling like big rigs will still have to use stick shifter.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
I'm terrible at driving stick, unless it's a Geo Tracker. For some reason, that was a piece of cake...

I don't follow it too closely, but i suppose it is less popular. Different generation, i suppose, either don't want to learn or no one wants to teach them, so they phase it out. Or maybe the general consensus is based on a technology shift? Like, this is better so let's change it?

... get it, technology SHIFT. I'm so witty online!
My girlfriends sister just bought a geo tracker actually. I almost TRIED to stall that thing and I couldn't. I let off the clutch entirely and I could just idle and it would go when I stepped on the gas.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Alive

Dead or Alive? - Manuel Noriega

Shaken......but not stirred. Licenced to paint.
bond commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC19K View Post
My car which is a 2012 VW Golf R ONLY comes with a 6 speed manual transmission which was in all honestly a huge selling point for me. It seems like I've had to go to other over seas based companies to get the cars I want these days.
I'm so glad they did that, the previous gen r32 only being available in dsg auto could have killed that line off.

I think it will be an option for a long time in mid range sports cars. I've yet to see an auto stand the test of time. Friction clutches wear out, would you rather have them internal or on the outside in the form of a manual transmissions clutch. People that drive hard usually go through a clutch or a transmission at 100k. What would you rather replace.

I just wish they were more prevalent in midrange sedans and trucks.

The good news with all the higher end sports cars like porsche lambo Ferrari etc going with floppy paddle gearboxes is I no longer lust after them. It makes it a lot easier to come to terms with never being able to own one.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It is dying out, last I saw manual transmissions are 6-7% of cars sold annually. Personally I'll never switch out of a manual provided I can continue to purchase them in the future. Anytime I drive an automatic my shifting hand sits unused either on the automatic floor shifter or on my knee, and I always feel like I'm forgetting to do something while driving.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage