mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

the new dodge dart has a manual 6 speed and so dose the Jeep Wrangle.
Billy6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
I am pretty sure you can still get full size trucks in stick shift. Maybe not all trucks are available with them but some are.

In race applications, I believe it is more for consistancey. A programmable shifting mechanism is going to be more predictable and tunable than just having a person do it. As we push the limits of vehicles, the drivers get thrown around more with more aggressive maneuvers and more power, so that is another reason.

Laziness is also a big reason for it in the consumer world. People are progressively getting lazier and stupider due to technology making everything easier.
Chevy, Ford or Dodge don't offer their full size trucks with a manual. Dodge makes a 3500 cummins with a 5 speed, and I'm pretty sure there is a huge Ford truck with a stick. But the ram 1500, f150, or silverado don't offer a stick.

I would personally LOVE to see a Raptor with a 6 speed!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
they get worse gas mileage.
Really?

I drive mainly older vehicles, so perhaps my viewpoint is skewed, but I ALWAYS get better mileage with a stick version over an auto version.

I think newer cars may get better EPA ratings as autos if they have multiple speeds, like 5, 6 or 7 speed autos that are coming out. The most you can get in stick is 6-speed.

I'll still take stick over auto. I like to be able to compression brake downhill and choose my gears. Never like automatic shift patterns.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

That was mainly geared toward the people who want a standard so they can pretend they're race car drivers. They spool the RPMs way unnecessarily high, killing mileage.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
A.B.K.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC19K View Post
My car which is a 2012 VW Golf R ONLY comes with a 6 speed manual transmission which was in all honestly a huge selling point for me. It seems like I've had to go to other over seas based companies to get the cars I want these days.
Do you work near the Main Post motor pool? Where all the buses are near Airborne? I think I saw your R today.

You need to drive a GTI with DSG on a track or mountain road. It is very comforting to have both hands on the wheel. Keeps you focused on the road and to me, feel more in control. I hope in the future, when I can upgrade, they offer a R variant in a DSG. It has actually been proven that a DSG, at least in a GTI, is faster shifting and can hold up to way more horsepower and torque. Which is good feeling to know once you start adding a couple things. But paying $300 to get a DSG flushed every 40k is expensive.

My second car was a stick and I loved it. However, driving a stick in stop and go traffic, certain terrain can be irritating. I tried to find a GTI in my price range with a stick and near our area. I couldn't. So I test drove mine and loved it. Its nice to be able to go out, have too many drinks and can have my wife drive, but still go to Dealers Gap and tear up the roads.

DSGs and other shiftable automatics can be fun, only if they are done right. Which alot of companies don't. Paddle shifters are cool, but when I put it in "manual" mode around town, I use the down paddle and use the gear selector to go up. But in the bends, its both paddles.

I've never like trucks with a manual. Maybe I haven't had the need for one, but I just liked to slam it in D and take off. I don't think manual trannies will die. There will always be a customer base for them. Maybe not so much with the American market, but definitely the European market.

I do believe and probably have stats to prove, but manuals are fading. I believe its mainly due to the huge auto boom in the past, thus having less people learn on them or wanting to.

I would also LOVE to see a Raptor with a manual or a DSG style tranny. And as stated above, I don't like manual trucks.
SOGAmember666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Chevy, Ford or Dodge don't offer their full size trucks with a manual. Dodge makes a 3500 cummins with a 5 speed, and I'm pretty sure there is a huge Ford truck with a stick. But the ram 1500, f150, or silverado don't offer a stick.

I would personally LOVE to see a Raptor with a 6 speed!
You can't even get a stick shift Duramax or Power stroke diesel anymore? I figured Dodge still offered a stick shift truck, I am a GM guy but if I bought a new truck it would be a Cummins Dodge Diesel. I am shocked if you can't even get the heavy work trucks in stick shift anymore, this country really has become a bunch of wussies. Work trucks should not ride like caddilacs and shift like a Prius. Call me old fashioned but I like my trucks to ride rough, be uncomfortable and make hippies wave their fingers at me as I drive by burnin lots of gas.

I think another reason manual trannies are being phased out is the automatics are getting much better. For a long long time all you could get in an automatic was a 2 or 3 speed, and there were 4 or 5 speed manual trannies available for better use of power and better mileage. Now that you can get 5,6 and even 7 speed automatics the advantage sticks used to have with more gears is obsolete.

This thread is making me want to drive my 4 speed with granny low gear 85 C20 even more bow. I can't wait till it gets here. Its being delivered next week hopefully.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
the manual will die in europe as the trend for modern automatics being more efficient really takes hold. that coupled with the global platforms for cars along with the move to 'kit' platforms means that low volume and less efficient manuals will simply go by the wayside for the vast majority of vehicles.

the manual won't go away, but it will be in an even smaller niche
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I have been a militant advocate for manual transmissions since my late teens, but I'm starting to become tired of the crusade. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to get a manual until I reach the point I don't care to have one anyway. They still seem to be everywhere in Europe.

The real reason manuals aren't as popular in the US is that it's to hard for a moron to talk on their phone while stuffing their face full of Big Macs and shift after running down a motorcyclist.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

The fact is that auto ARE now faster and more fuel efficient then manuals. For racing purpose, computer can shift faster than a human and do so without any human error. Many autos now have 8 gears, so unless you want an 8speed manual, you typically won't get better efficiency.

In Europe autos are still the minority in new vehicles, but that seems to be changing.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGAmember666 View Post
Do you work near the Main Post motor pool? Where all the buses are near Airborne? I think I saw your R today.

You need to drive a GTI with DSG on a track or mountain road. It is very comforting to have both hands on the wheel. Keeps you focused on the road and to me, feel more in control. I hope in the future, when I can upgrade, they offer a R variant in a DSG. It has actually been proven that a DSG, at least in a GTI, is faster shifting and can hold up to way more horsepower and torque. Which is good feeling to know once you start adding a couple things. But paying $300 to get a DSG flushed every 40k is expensive.

My second car was a stick and I loved it. However, driving a stick in stop and go traffic, certain terrain can be irritating. I tried to find a GTI in my price range with a stick and near our area. I couldn't. So I test drove mine and loved it. Its nice to be able to go out, have too many drinks and can have my wife drive, but still go to Dealers Gap and tear up the roads.

DSGs and other shiftable automatics can be fun, only if they are done right. Which alot of companies don't. Paddle shifters are cool, but when I put it in "manual" mode around town, I use the down paddle and use the gear selector to go up. But in the bends, its both paddles.

I've never like trucks with a manual. Maybe I haven't had the need for one, but I just liked to slam it in D and take off. I don't think manual trannies will die. There will always be a customer base for them. Maybe not so much with the American market, but definitely the European market.

I do believe and probably have stats to prove, but manuals are fading. I believe its mainly due to the huge auto boom in the past, thus having less people learn on them or wanting to.

I would also LOVE to see a Raptor with a manual or a DSG style tranny. And as stated above, I don't like manual trucks.
I was nowhere near main post or the airborne towers but I have heard that the DSG shifters are awesome but I get bored and lose focus when driving an automatic.
DoC19K is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage