mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Is Manual Dead?

It seems within the last few years there has been a transition in the performance-driven automotive world from manual to the DCT as the benchmark. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. These companies are all going to the Dual Clutch technology. You can't buy a full size truck with a stick anymore either, which is unfortunate.

Personally I'll be driving with a manual as long as I can. I've tried driving with paddles before, and while it's faster it just isn't as fun. I like operating machines with levers and pedals. Thoughts?
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Radical!

I'm terrible at driving stick, unless it's a Geo Tracker. For some reason, that was a piece of cake...

I don't follow it too closely, but i suppose it is less popular. Different generation, i suppose, either don't want to learn or no one wants to teach them, so they phase it out. Or maybe the general consensus is based on a technology shift? Like, this is better so let's change it?

... get it, technology SHIFT. I'm so witty online!
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I can almost guarantee that there will be a manual option for econo boxes in Europe for quite some time.

I'm a Ford Focus stick driver and not a fan of automatics. Dad's Dodge 3500 was a stick, my previous Tercel was a stick, and the only reason my Escape has an auto is because it's the wife's daily driver. To me, driving becomes monotonous without running the gears.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have been noticing the decline because people are lazy and just don't care to learn unfortantly. Some cars are coming with a manual such as the new age retro muscle cars but its a dying transmission and in all honesty I'll be driving manual for a long time. I could tell you the last time I drove something with an automatic transmission but it wasn't a car. HAHA
DoC19K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
A paddle is a lever.

Manual transmissions aren't dead, but they are dying. Automatic transmission technology is coming to a point that machines are better than humans to shift. Faster, smoother, more efficient.

What blew me away is seeing tractor trailers(semi trucks) go auto.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

For normal vehicles, it's just a cost/benefit thing. Automatic trannies are so reliable and cheap to build now that there's no practical benefit to standards. Unless you're one of the guys who likes 'em "just because", that is. But they're no cheaper to build, they get worse gas mileage, clutches wear out, and drinking your morning coffee during rush hour is a pain in the ***. Automatics are, by every measure, just "better". Plus, when it comes to learning to drive, most people now are just lazy.

That said, I miss my old standard tranny Ranger (my first vehicle) and if it had been an option, my Monte Carlo would have one (you have to go up to the 8-cyl SS to get that).

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
Plus, when it comes to learning to drive, most people now are just lazy.
At least I am not the only person who thinks this!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I am pretty sure you can still get full size trucks in stick shift. Maybe not all trucks are available with them but some are.

In race applications, I believe it is more for consistancey. A programmable shifting mechanism is going to be more predictable and tunable than just having a person do it. As we push the limits of vehicles, the drivers get thrown around more with more aggressive maneuvers and more power, so that is another reason.

Laziness is also a big reason for it in the consumer world. People are progressively getting lazier and stupider due to technology making everything easier.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Noticing the trend of the manual transmissions missions makes me wanna go into more of the older car market...only if I could afford the Mid 60s VW Bug I want. You have a point Crazyorigin.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Most are special order now even for performance cars. Such as the FRS. I had to wait months for my kia koup to come in in six speed manual.

I miss the days when it was the only and best option. Like the 99 civic si....manual only.

Also sports cars with auto is just boring. New corvette in auto? I laugh

For Sale

Hawkeye20: "......Hit!..............medic..... oh God...."
pghp8ntballer: "Cause you know, first strike and flatline systems together with a scope allow you to shoot into the future."
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage