mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Front tire blowout

So driving from ST.Louis to Kansas City, I picked up a mild vibration. checked all the tire pressures and visually checked them also. Left STL with a bad spare, due to bad priority decisions. Spent the weekend in KC and started driving home, then this happened. I assumed it was the rear tires as they are near the end of their life and the fronts were in great shape. Front tire delaminated and trashed the front fender and door. Scared the crap out of the wife who was sleeping at the time. Noting hurt or damaged, except my pride. Tow company had a tire shop also, and they fixed the spare for a reasonable price.
Attached Images

Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Holy **** Ive never seen one blow on a car like that, and do that kind of damage!

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
There's a big forest fire off HWY 50 between Sac and S. Tahoe that started just yesterday, caused by a blown tire.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I had a front tire do this to me on the front of my old S15. It didn't do any real damage other than to a tie rod and my mud flap, it did make my front end hop right off the ground though. My tread separated from the inner carcass and peeled right off. Did it to me on the highway while I had been driving for about 60 days on a 30 day plate, no reggie or inspection, I let some air out of my now cartoonish looking tire with no tread, limped it off the next exit and behind a gas station where I proceeded to do a NASCAR speed wheel and tire change. Took me under 3 minutes.

Retreads or recaps can do this but I have also seen normal non reworked tires do it. The one on my truck I believe was not a retread and it still did it. I am glad no one was hurt in your blowout, that is a large truck to have that happen on, it could have been ugly under the wrong conditions.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Henchemen Inc!

Send a message via AIM to vf-xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Holy **** Ive never seen one blow on a car like that, and do that kind of damage!
Looks about right. based on the rim style and bolt pattern that's a Dually (sp?) and IIRC they run at a higher pressure than standard passenger tires (about 60 PSI I think).

They're thick tires, and once you've been on the road a while they heat up pretty well. There's alot of potential energy in there.

Moral of the story: deal with vibrations quickly for your own safety. Cheaper up front than after the fact.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
The vibration in my tire only was noticeable for about 3 miles before it went boom, it got real bad and I said "this isn't good" and it blew out within about 4-500 feet or less. Basically I had time to think "this isn't good" then my truck was jumping off the highway sending tire debris all over the place.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
There's a big forest fire off HWY 50 between Sac and S. Tahoe that started just yesterday, caused by a blown tire.
How?

I can't find any more detail on this and its eating me up. Another report states it was sparked by a broken axle on a truck being towed. That would make some sense, if it was dragging, there would be sparks thrown. But a blown tire? F-U sacramento bee, gimme the whole news.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
...?

Cummins is a heavy engine. Plus this heat and a little cord separation. Is the formula for disaster. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Blow outs are nasty business, especially on the from of the vehicle. Idk who you use for repairs or body work but, I would check out the place in wood river. Good prices usually. Home - Wood River Auto Parts | Cottage Hills, IL | Used Auto Parts
Big Kat 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Wow, that blows. That's some pretty serious damage. Better pull out the bondo! I had one my 35's blow out on my k-5 blazer a few months ago. Luckily no serious damage just around a $800 fee to get all the tires changed because apparently they were from 1985.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kat 79 View Post
Cummins is a heavy engine. Plus this heat and a little cord separation. Is the formula for disaster. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Blow outs are nasty business, especially on the from of the vehicle. Idk who you use for repairs or body work but, I would check out the place in wood river. Good prices usually. Home - Wood River Auto Parts | Cottage Hills, IL | Used Auto Parts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a few connections for body shops. The tires were rated for the heavy truck, but it happens sometimes. As someone else said, if you feel a vibration, check it out immediately. I wasnt concerned with a rear tire blowing out, my truck has a steel flatbed that wouldnt be damaged otherwise, and you can drive on one tire if one blows out on a dually if need be. The other moral to the story is, to make sure you have a good spare, aired up and tools to change a tire with you at all times. OR a good roadside emergency insurance plan.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage