mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
It's official I hate tiger hair!

Really? Could anyone make a more frustrating product to work with?

I'm patching the holes rusted in the rocker panels of my wife's '02 Grand Prix and my "friends"(that term is in some serious debate now) suggested that I use Tiger Hair fiberglass body fill. Now, I'm used to working with bondo or other body putties but I was not expecting this at all. It doesn't stick to anyting! I tried the old newspaper in the hole and even chicken wire but this stuff just falls right off like a frying pan commercial. After much trial, error, and verbal abuse I finally got it to set in place. And it's ugly as sin. The car looks like it needs a shave, badly.

So I'm just going to let this stuff set up and bondo over it. At least with that I know it'll stick I just have 3 minutes to work it before it becomes wet chalk.

/rant off
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Too late but this might have worked well as a backing,

Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I hate when people spray foam into rockers. I set someones car on fire accidentally because I missed some back in there while repairing the rocker the right way (Welding a patch on, grinding the welds, feathering the filler, prime paint etc...)

PS don't use the bondo brand plastic filler, its garbage. I know everyone calls plastic filler bondo, but use another brand.

Feedback +27|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
First Mate

Buy new metal rockers and tack weld them on. Coat them with rust proofing spray afterwords. It doesn't cost much more than buying buckets of bondo and does a way better job - both structurally and longevity wise.

Filling your rockers with bondo or spray foam is useless. Rocker panels are part of a unibody cars structural strength.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickChestHair View Post
Buy new metal rockers and tack weld them on. Coat them with rust proofing spray afterwords. It doesn't cost much more than buying buckets of bondo and does a way better job - both structurally and longevity wise.

Filling your rockers with bondo or spray foam is useless. Rocker panels are part of a unibody cars structural strength.
The MTO doesn't think so. They can be gone and still have a car pass a safety.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

I thought we were talking about real tigers.......
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage