mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
No class

Not on your list, but if I was looking for a fun car, I would be after a Lancer Evo 9 MR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Chad Thompson is Paintball!
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Plus one with ratfink for the evo. NSX is cool of you're going to do tuning/power adding. The US versions were gutless as far as I know. Drove one once when I was a valet, very nice but pretty tame.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
T-T
MCB Member

Build a Caterham.

You get to build it AND surprise the hell out of people over short distances.
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Not on your list, but if I was looking for a fun car, I would be after a Lancer Evo 9 MR.
Garbage. Can't handle any power upgrades.

The body literally disintegrates - we have one in the shop that has a serious turbo on it, 3-plate clutch, and it keeps breaking the clutch pedal bracket.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
I currently have an Evo 8 MR and I think it's the mid life antichrist. This car is designed for young men, not responsible adults.

The MR is the absolute worst Evo to buy and the 9 isn't really worth it considering the Mivec head. Because I knew that I was going to build a fast car, I sought the VIII and I settled for the MR because it was the cleanest in my area at the time. The 6 speed blew, the transfer case blew. I had a built acd transfer case and a new transmission before I even broke 400 whp. Those fixes were over $3k alone.

A little about the car:

2005 WW Evolution MR
-Built short block, ported head with HKS 274/278 camshafts, full HKS valve train, Greddy adjustable cam gears, fluidampr under drive pulley, ID 1000s, AMS COPS, AMS F1 intake manifold, HKS GT II 7460R turbocharger, full AMS turbo back with JDM-exit muffler, AMS intercooler, ETS short route uicp and licp, etc.
-Built wave track transfer case, built 5 speed transmission (I've blown 3rd gear three times in this tranny), Exedy twin disk
-KM v3 coil overs, whitelines sways with adj end links

The car makes a hair under 475 on pump gas and it's a blast in short doses. I have over $20,000 in receipts and I've never been happy with this car.

There's absolutely no reason why OP should buy one of these unless he really wants to feel like a kid. It doesn't have cruise control and the boy racer styling really isn't suited for midlife crisis.

wts bko for cheap
jc_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
MR2. Or, A clean RX-7. There's a 1983 locally that has 19,000 miles on it, and looks pristine. Want more power? Drop a 13bT into it. Still less than half a BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

C5 vette would be the best bang for the buck. And you have way more aftermarket options.
Reality Compromised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-T View Post
Build a Caterham.

You get to build it AND surprise the hell out of people over short distances.
^this^

and when I hear 'mid life crisis car' and corvette is mentioned, all I can think of is pot bellied guys in satin jackets and gold chains, just too stereotypical
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.

Last edited by Bored383; 07-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
the MR2 can ge a good choice, but it really depends on what you want out of a car, you looking for "fun to drive, screw everything else" or are you wanting "fun to drive, but also nice to sit in?

interior ergonomics are a big deal to me.. also being 6"2 interior room is importand

there are a LOT of cars that i cannot own. simply becuase my opinion of them is "it would be okay to go riding around town in, but i cant take it on a road trip..

my friend owns a souped up MR2 turbo (gen 2 like you posted), its afun to drive car, but the interior screams late 80's early 90's blah.. my memory is a bit hazy cause its been awhile since ive been in it, but i dont recollect the interior having much volume either

the MR-s (second one you posted) is underpowered as hell..its a mid engine miata, they never offered a turbo, and it desperately needed one. THAT car single handedly killed toyota's MR cars.. and it did it for a reason

NSX's are cool, but like the MR-s, VERY underpowered.. they require a TON of modifications to make them as fast as they look.. which is a shame, because those modifications will cost as much as the car

i love corvettes, i think they are beautiful looking, and great performing, but the average age of a driver is 50.. so expect some stereotyping.. if you like the look of the C5 zo6, i think that would be a great idea.. and sadly the interior on the vettes has sucked for some time

love audis, but the maintenance is out of this world expensive. same goes for BMW

some of the cars i would look at?

early fifth gen SL500, (2001-2008) i've always thought they were just a sweet looking car, but like all german luxury cars, i'm sure maintenance is asinine

4th gen Supra.. like the SL500, this car, for me, has epitomized what a spots car should "look like" (wing optional) meaning, the overall dimensions, amount of hood, amount of trunk, roofline,, all of it.., and bear in mind that the car hasnt been made for @) years,, and its just NOW starting to look dated says a lot.. and if i could find a manual with a 2-JZ that hadnt been taken to 1000 horsepower at any point in its life.. i would seriously consider buying it

Gen 1 Dodge viper (GTS of course), the used market on these is quite doable.. and they are sweet looking car/beasts.. cannot comment on maintenance though.. could be super easy to fix and work on yourself.. or it could be a nightmare

someone suggested a gen 3 RX-7.. i would advise against it.. yes they are a crazy good time, but a LOT of them have electrical issues,, and to a certain extent your better rewiring the whole car which is major expense, and as a former owner of an RX-8 rotary motors suck.. they are easy to break, hard to fix, and burn gas like its going out of style.. now i know the argument on MPG being important is usually answered with a sinde remark about "you you cant afford to put gas in it.... you shouldn't have bought it" but when you can literally only get 200 miles out of a tank of gas thats costing you $50 dollars to fill,, (RX-8 got 15 mpg in the summer.. the 7 will get less).. its a problem

im sure i can think of a few more later.. but thats what i can think of for now

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
^this^

and when I hear 'mid life crisis car' and corvette is mentioned, all I can think of is pot bellied guys in satin jackets and gold chains, just too stereotypical
But have you seen pk5 in his gold chains?
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage