mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
so the commercial isn't bull****ting? but is there a reason to use water when the gas station probably has coolant?

about how far you can drive with absolutely nothing until you "need" to pull over? what if you go extra slow so the temp never maxes out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYhmWaQyY_c
Driving slow often makes vehicles run hotter, no air flow. Liquid cooled engines need liquid to cool them, I don't know of any that would run for too long without it, maybe 20 minutes tops unless it was really cold. I popped a radiator hitting a deer in 20 degree weather and didn't make it 3 miles without it reaching the red, was already warm tho.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
One important thing to remember. If your temp maxes out, you will want to wait an hour or so(maybe more?) to let the engine cool off.

Cold water+ hot engine= cracked block.
Engines get splashed all the time, it would need to be so hot it would be shot anyways to crack from heat. Look at mud boggers and swamp buggies, they run hot, hard, and real wet haha.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

yes but they are already being cooled from the inside. try it yourself with a cheap pan....
boil water in it and then pour cold water on the outside.
then heat a pan with nothing in it and pour cold water on a pan.

i know which one will have a worse reaction.

first thing is don't get scalded but the steam.
then pop hood and located any amount of leak you can and trace it.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pew pew

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Remember that the temp gauge doesn't always work if there isn't coolant in the engine, so you might think that everything is fine until the engine stops running melting pistons and stuff in the process!

If you decide to put any kind of radiator repair in you system be sure to close the heat before so you don't get any of the repair liquid in the valves for heating, I've seen cases where the valves got "fixed" while fixing the radiator.

BPM
Blue Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Since everyone has it covered there is always the old Red Dawn way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangus999 View Post
yes but they are already being cooled from the inside. try it yourself with a cheap pan....
boil water in it and then pour cold water on the outside.
then heat a pan with nothing in it and pour cold water on a pan.

i know which one will have a worse reaction.

first thing is don't get scalded but the steam.
then pop hood and located any amount of leak you can and trace it.
If an engine gets hot enough to crack from being splashed with water it is a motor you would need to replace anyways be cause your bearings would all be destroyed at a minimum.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass and Wood Fan
how far you can depends on the engine . . . some legendary engines of the past could survive ridiculous amounts of such abuse and keep going. modern engines, not so much. but this has more to do with how much better tuned and how much tighter the tolerances are on modern engines. the classic, ridiculously tough engines of bygones times were generally loose, low compression, low output (by modern standards), and inefficient

well, efficiency can be measured in different ways. base fuel economy is one measure. longevity is another.

I tried to kill a 318 once. ran it out of coolant while it was super low on oil. Succeeded on causing the car to overheat to the point of stalling out, more than once. damn thing took the abuse and after cooling down and being topped off with oil and water ran like nothing had happened. yes, that was in my younger, dumber days.

oh yeah, a cheat to run cooler on a carbed gas car - run it really rich.
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

If you have a Cadillac with a northstar or a Ford vehicle with the modular 5.4 IIRC, just keep driving. The engine will automatically deactivates alternating cylinders to cool them off by pumping air while the other cylinders continue to keep the vehicle moving. IIRC the cadillacs are safe to drive 200miles with no coolant.

Last edited by PBRevolution; 12-21-2013 at 02:28 PM.
PBRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
how far you can depends on the engine . . . some legendary engines of the past could survive ridiculous amounts of such abuse and keep going. modern engines, not so much. but this has more to do with how much better tuned and how much tighter the tolerances are on modern engines. the classic, ridiculously tough engines of bygones times were generally loose, low compression, low output (by modern standards), and inefficient

well, efficiency can be measured in different ways. base fuel economy is one measure. longevity is another.

This is exactly right.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

Ran this New Yorker in a few enduros in its last the radiator got center punched by the corner of a ford ltd bumper...pulled in the pits and pulled the radiator and core supports off the motor with a jack handle, straightened the fan blades with some pliers and got another 50-60 laps out of it with no fluid on a 3/8 mile track ....that good ol 413 was a freaking beast

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage