mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
If it's premixed, then your paying for some incredibly expensive water.
I find it incredibly cheap convenience.

I've had 30 or so cars over the years, and plenty have had leaking radiators.

My '77 Skylark was constantly leaking. Typically I'd leave it empty for weeks at a time, since work/school were only a couple miles away. I noticed if I drove more then 5 miles, the engine would start to get boggy, and eventually stall until it cools down a bit.

When I would pour water into the engine, it never cracked. However, the water would flash boil, causing a 6 foot GUSHER to blast out of the radiator. Lesson learned: POUR SLOWELY until temps equalize.

One time, true story, I was driving to court to contest a speeding ticket.... Radiator had leaked out, but I said frig it.. dont care. So while I'm driving, I began to notice the paint on the hood melting. I thought, that is odd? Then I saw the smoke, and pulled into a garage/gas station. I open the hood, and flames are shooting out!! The engine got so hot that it set fire to all the oil that had leaked, and accumulated all over the engine bay.

So the mechanic runs out, looks confused, runs back in... a bit later runs out with a bucket of antifreeze, and pours on the engine.

BOOOOM. Mushroom cloud of fire. Antifreeze is flammable! Who knew. I ran and found a bucket of dirty rain water, and put out the flames. Despite the spectacular fire, all I lost was the plug wire, and wire harness. I bought some wires, and rigged up the ignition, and was able to drive it home.

Missed my court day. Oh well.

A couple other cars I had also had leaks. Both ended up with blown head gaskets. Thats a common symptom. The heads warp from the overheating.

I had another car that only overheated when driving home, never anywhere else. It was bizzare. Took me months to figure out that my coolant had too much water, and when I left work, I got right on the highway. The faster speed meant the ice coolant never had a chance to melt, and work properly. That car ended up with a blown gasket as well.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Pouring a bucket of water on an oil fire is a pretty bad idea antifreeze or not.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Just saying, "not as catastrophic" still doesn't put much confidence in my mind.

Although one of my friends put out a seafoam fire with dirt, so anything is possible. I will just leave this here. (This IS a true story by the way)

Quote:
This happened to me a little while ago and didn't get around to posting it till now. I happen to really like seafoam now, even though I completely screwd up the first time I used it. For reference my X is a 2006 with (at the time) 285,000 kms on it. I decided to try to get some better mpg out of it (it was running about 22 hwy) I'd go ahead and just clean the old girl out.

Now apparently a lot of people say this is really bad for the seals and all that, and I knew that at the time, so I really dont know why I went ahead with it. But I picked up a bottle of seafoam at crappy tire, went home and decided to use the brake booster line induction method to get it right in there. this is where things got interesting.

So with my girlfriend at the wheel we popped the hood, and started the truck up. I disconnected the brake vacuum hose, did a quick read of the instructions (pour in gas tank blah blah blah) But I clearly knew that the real way to do it was to just sink the hose into the full bottle of seafoam and let the truck suck ALL of it back in one fell swoop (dont do this). From what i'd read, a this point the truck was supposed to stall out and then you'd let it sit for a while. well. Nissan clearly makes a point of not letting the truck stall. It probably went down to about 60 rpm, managing to ingest a really really good amount of liquid into each cylinder. whoops. at this point the gf shut the thing off. I decided to leave it for 15 minutes.

Now it gets interesting.

15 minutes later I got back in, started it up, It caught, turned over twice, and all I heard was a savage CLUNK, PSSHHHHHH. Oh F***. I've felt a hydrolock before and that was exactly what this was. Thinking that i'd just ruined my engine, I calmly got out of the truck, swore a bunch, kicked some stuff, and popped the hood to start taking spark plugs out.

Having all the plugs out I figured i'd just sortof leave the live spark plug leads hanging down while I turned it over to evacuate the pistons. well. Seafoam is flammable, the gas that is being injected is also flammable, and the leads were sparking. The seafoam was expelled from the cylinder in a few bursts of spray (very happy) and immediately lit EVERYTHING under the hood on fire. (very unhappy.)

My first instinct when this happened, i have no idea why this seemed like a good idea, matter of fact i have no idea why any of what followed seemed like a good idea, I decided to stick my head under the hood to see what was on fire. right. dumbass. the "fireproof" matting on the inside of the hood caught on fire, which caught all my hair on fire, like really on fire, and removed my eyebrows, eyelashes, and half my beard. Realizing the err of my ways I quickly pulled my head back out, strung some expletives together, and savagely beat my head until it stopped burning. Burning hair is one of the worst smells known to man by the way.

So the engine bay was still on fire. The only thing beside me was a) the hose and b) a pile of dirt. why would I grab the hose with clean water when I could just throw a whole bunch of dirt at my engine. Naturally my clear thinking self grabbed a few handfuls of dirt and started throwing them at the engine. At this point, the fire having not gone out, but started using the dirt/mulch mix as fuel, was extinguished by my girlfriend and her fire extinguisher. (put one in your truck, do it today). Now if you recall from a few paragraphs back, I had removed my spark plugs. Now 3 of the cylinders were about half full of dirt, sticks, ash and mud.

I still dont know if anything is bent from the hydrolock, now I have to worry about stuff being melted, and my engine being full of junk. Long story short I managed somehow to clean the dirt out of the cylinders with a venturi vacuum (handy little thing) and inspect the wiring. Here's where dumb luck/karma comes into play. big time. no burnt wires. Replaced the spark plugs and leads, got in, turned the key..... Perfect start. Did the mandatory 0-60 pulls for the seafoam, smoked out the neighbourhood, came back to the driveway and the thing ran way better than it ever had. To top it all off I gained 2 mpg, and it hasnt gone back down yet. truck is at 300,000 now, and going strong. Counting my lucky stars, and I dont think i'd ever seafoam anything again, although it did it's job magnificently.

Last edited by mtaylor; 05-09-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
To his credit, and Nissan's, that truck still runs great.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #45 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Pee in the radiator. :P
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #46 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
Pee in the radiator. :P
That's old news. Anybody ever poop in the radiator?
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage