mcarterbrown.com

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

hypothetical: car ran out of coolant mid trip. solution?

you're driving point a to point b. unbeknownst to you, your car is leaking coolant out of somewhere. suddenly your temperature gauge maxes out and your hood is steaming.

you pull over and turn off the car.

you don't know if the leak is new and pouring, or old and dripping.

you have aaa like any sane driver, but insanely want to diy like any mcber.

what would your options be? first thing is probably pop the hood to confirm you're really out of coolant, but what else?

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
I crashed my car in the winter one time and popped my radiator and drove it home. I had to keep stopping to throw snow on my engine and pack my radiator full of snow also and letting it cool down. It was a cheap beater car and I probably overheated it 10 times on the way home and I swear that car ran better afterwards.

Any fluid will work in your radiator. I don't recommend anything flammable however. Wiper fluid will work, you could pee in it, use water from anything, leftover soda in your car, any fluid will work. As far as the leak, most of the time there isn't a great way to cob it up and fix it. I have wrapped rags around hoses to slow leaks or the good old Duct Tape will work for a bit.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

As stated above. But, until you find the source of the leak, you'll just let any coolant you put back in leak out.

Back in the day, coarse ground black pepper was added to coolant to stop radiator leaks. As it seeped out, it would clog the smaller hole(s) until the leaking stopped.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Silver Seal is great to keep in your vehicle. It is an aluminum like powder in a small tube, it works great, the best radiator hole sealant I have ever used. I have seen it plug holes that you could put a pencil into, you dump it in your cooling system and as the fluid leaks out the powder sticks where the leak is and builds up to clog the hole. Its only a few bucks and can save your butt.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
I crashed my car in the winter one time and popped my radiator and drove it home. I had to keep stopping to throw snow on my engine and pack my radiator full of snow also and letting it cool down. It was a cheap beater car and I probably overheated it 10 times on the way home and I swear that car ran better afterwards.

Any fluid will work in your radiator. I don't recommend anything flammable however. Wiper fluid will work, you could pee in it, use water from anything, leftover soda in your car, any fluid will work. As far as the leak, most of the time there isn't a great way to cob it up and fix it. I have wrapped rags around hoses to slow leaks or the good old Duct Tape will work for a bit.
Washer fluid IS flammable - it's generally partially alcohol, or else it would freeze in cold weather. DO NOT ever use it in a rad.

Don't use leftover soda either - the sugars and other crap that's in them will do a number on pretty much everything in your cooling system.

Plain water is the best thing to do. Otherwise, call a tow-truck and wait.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The best side of the road radiator repair was a person using egg whites and water from a ditch. We already knew that the radiator needed to be replaced because of 3 leaks pouring water onto the engine so my friend filled the radiator with ditch water and cracked 3 eggs getting rid of the yolk. The egg whites cooked in the hot water and when we pulled the Rad there was cooked egg sticking out of the holes. God must love fools and slant six Chrysler motors
JudgeMental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
in a pinch coarse ground black pepper can be used as an emergency coolant system repair

and the shootist beat me to it, lol

and remember, plain old water works great as a coolant.
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
One important thing to remember. If your temp maxes out, you will want to wait an hour or so(maybe more?) to let the engine cool off.

Cold water+ hot engine= cracked block.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

so the commercial isn't bull****ting? but is there a reason to use water when the gas station probably has coolant?

about how far you can drive with absolutely nothing until you "need" to pull over? what if you go extra slow so the temp never maxes out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYhmWaQyY_c

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good

Last edited by heinous; 12-21-2013 at 01:49 AM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Show me a bottle of "coolant" and I'll show you a mislabled bottle of anti-freeze.

Water with a surfactant additive is the best at keeping an engine cool. As for a cooling system leak just dump water back in it as long as its not leaking bad enough that you can't keep it in.
No Have MSG is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage