mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Mazda5

I thought I'd see here if anyone has any opinions on a Mazda5. Its looking like I'll probably be getting a 2006, anything I should look for? The one I'm looking at is low mileage (87000km) and a really good price, about $1500 under market value from everything else I find, but has the common Mazda rear fender rust and is missing the passenger factory skirt/rocker extension. I'm already looking in to what that will cost to fix 100%, otherwise its super clean and low mileage. I race toy cars and want to be able to carry a full size folding table and still seat 4. Most hatchbacks/small cars would need the rear seats folded down and I need the height of the trunk for my gear, between the table with my gear bag on top is around 32" if I remember right. I basically need a wagon but they don't really exist. It seems to fit the bill. Anyone have an experience with them and what to look at in particular on them when shopping for one?

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

If it has rear fender rust, it isn't super clean. I wouldn't get it unless it was a great deal. There is just no good way to remove that kind of rust and doing significant body work on a car you just bought, that is relatively new and can be had with a clean body...I wouldn't recommend it at all.

You might consider the Mazda MPV, they are pretty nice riding small japanese vans. They aren't without their quirks though and I recommend one without power sliding doors. They are right in line with the Mazda 5 just a little less narrow (they aren't really large) and overall, a ton more room. They still have a good smaller car feel though.

Otherwise they are good cars. Mazda's aren't quite Toyota / Honda quality but at the same time they tend to have a better driving feel than either, so there's that.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I was actually looking into getting one myself. One common complaint is that the rear suspension has issues, due to it being undersprung for the weight at the back (same setup as the Mazda3). Those issues seem to start occuring between 25k and 52k clicks.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
We bought a used one last fall. We already had a mini-van which serves as our main child transporter, but with our family expanding to 3 kids, my wife's car needed to be upgraded.

We really like it. She drives 25 minutes to work each day in it, and it saves on gas....but we can all jump in it and go to dinner without taking the big minivan.

The 17" tires can be a little pricey. It's not the smoothest ride we've owned, but it's quiet. We love the sun roof. It's low to the ground...which could be a plus or a minus...it's great for little kids jumping in.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just sayin' you will never live this down now! Then again there are a few other mom-mobiles at the field now.

Have you checked the Subys or the Lancer Sportback? I really like the Legacy wagon, it almost drives like an Impreza and has that nice rear cargo area. You can normally find them around here for pretty cheap.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I can take the heat, I deal with it daily at work and home As much as I would like a subilooser, they're just not in the budget. They're expensive compared to a similar car, or high mileage (or both) and I've heard mixed things with them. I know someone had a front diff issues, $2k later they could drive it again... Those lancer sportbacks look horrendous, the previous body style wagon looks cool but impossible to find used.

Rcjunky's feedback
Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gun Designer

You could get a matrix/vibe instead. Probably be cheaper with Toyota quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
MIballer's exploits during his career in MI6 are what the Austin Powers movies are based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
In a fight of Superman and Chuck Norris...MIballer wins
MIballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know anybody who had issues with their Suby that was specific to Subaru.

The Lancer Sportbacks do look like poo. But all soccer-mom-mobiles do, the Mazda5 is no exception to that.

If you wanted to be a new suburban Oriental Woman you could always get the Toyota Venza, you'd fit right in around here until you got out the vehicle or people could actually see you behind the wheel!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
I can't even handle this...

I know of at least one car that can fit a 3x3 table in the trunk without folding the seats down. Will I tell you? No, because I want to make fun of you for driving a mini van.

But on the positive note, if/when you have kids you can keep the same car LOL
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
lots can fit a folding table, but throw a gear bag on top thats 28", not going to happen in most cars. I can put a table in the trunk of my current sports car, but don't like putting the gear bag on the back seat.

Rcjunky's feedback

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage