mcarterbrown.com

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
What color rims do you think?

Hey everyone. Picked up a 2011 Golf TDI for myself and found a killer deal on craigslist for some VW detroits off of a stock GTI. They look great on the car, but I want to powdercoat them a different color. Notice the lip on the holes is a different color than the rest of the rim, so I think keeping a theme of the 2 tone would be cool. What do you think would be a good looking combo for this color car?

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

what about them do you not like, as far as the color goes? i think it looks all right as-is.

here's an idea though, plasti dip them. you can go to lowes or home depot, and get some black, gunmetal grey and white plasti dip for less than $20, then spray them and see what that looks like to give you a rough idea. plasti dip is not permanent, you can respray another color on or just peel it off whenever.

side note about white, it's recommended to lay down a couple coats of gunmetal grey plasti dip first so the white has a good surface to bond to as it's a thinner dip than the others. it will not bleed through.

if you like, you can even get some specialty sprays and pearls at dipyourcar.com and just go with the plasti dip instead of the powdercoat. it takes about four cans to do a set of four wheels. the benefits being cheaper and non-permanent.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I hate chrome even more than I hate terrorists, and I freaking HATE terrorists (6 years in the Corps). I know all about plastidip, which is ok to try out some different colors, but in the end I wanna go permanent because dip is trashy IMO

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Black wouldn't look good on those IMO, the stock color (looks more brushed than chrome in the pic). Maybe a gunmetal type color..

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
black would go good with the color of the car, but not on those rims I dont think. A gun metal might look good. I am also considering picking up a set of audi a8 flat fives, they look great on this body style

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Paint each "spoke" a different color of the rainbow.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Get them annodized an Old school Eclipse Splash
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Whats up friend! Here's mine:

(GTI grille accents not actually black; its just from my buddies color editing...)

I don't know if I would powdercoat the Detroit's you have on it; I think that they'd probably look worse off powdered than stock... but that's just me. I have conservative tastes - I only like "aluminum", black, gunmetal, and bronze style finishes on wheels. I do plan on going with gunmetal aftermarkets on mine at some point.

If you go with the A8 flat fives, I would consider leaving them stock or hitting them with bronze. I like the wheels to contrast the body paint.
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I agree with all of that. I do want contrast, but I feel black is played although I do love it. I've never had a Grey car so I don't know what colors work. I think bronze is more played than black.

You need to lower that thing!

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

dark blue, dark red... any of those could be very cool looking. itd make em pop but not too showy like pink or yellow would.

it would definitely stand out!

i would suggest plasti dipping them first just to see what it looks like.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage