mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

View Poll Results: Are used Honda CR-V and Elements decent vehicles?
Gi for it! 2 100.00%
They are average. 0 0%
They are trouble prone. 0 0%
Run away! Run away fast! 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Honda CRV and Element reviews?

Hey all, My wife is in the market for a used vehicle again, and she is partial to to the CR-V and Element. Our budget will probably let us get something in the 2002-2005 range. I know CR-V's older than that have a timing belt instead of a chain. I'm not sure if that would be a major issue.

We have NOT test driven either yet (drove a new CR-V but it is out of our budget.) In fact, finding an Element to test drive is becomming a bit of a chore.

Anyway, I was wondering what experience you all may have? I have heard they share a drive train and both can experience transmission and/or differential issues?

What say you all?

Last edited by Finnigan; 06-19-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Finnigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I would not be adverse to either one. For some reason the elements have a reputation of eating brake pads but its something that could be lived with.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
What say you all?
I have an 01 CRV EX that I have driven since 2006ish. It has 210,000 miles.
Other than oil changes, plugs/wires/filters, and tires, I have done the following maintenance:
Brakes once
Timing belt once
Exhaust once (hole rusted in it)

That's it... seriously.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
My brother is happy with his. He replaced a troublesome Jeep Compass with an Element. Says it much more reliable.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Hey all, My wife is in the market for a used vehicle again, and she is partial to to the CR-V and Element. Our budget will probably let us get something in the 2002-2005 range. I know CR-V's older than that have a timing belt instead of a chain. I'm not sure if that would be a major issue.

We have NOT test driven either yet (drove a new CR-V but it is out of our budget.) In fact, finding an Element to test drive is becomming a bit of a chore.

Anyway, I was wondering what experience you all may have? I have heard they share a drive train and both can experience transmission and/or differential issues?

What say you all?
my mom had a first gen cr-v. it never had any problems except for a dead battery, and that was after her leaving the lights on overnight requiring a jump start and a 10 year old factory batt. it converted my dad, now my dad just bought the newest one. i've driven my mom's cr-v, sits high which isn't a problem itself, but you can really feel it when the car brakes, which may or may not be something some people like or dislike. also really hard to see the rear driver's side, unless you stick your head out the window. newer cr-v's may have solved that. i also see that my dad's cr-v sits lower, so the latest gen may have a smaller braking effect.

Last edited by heinous; 06-19-2014 at 05:33 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage