mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Value of old Furnace?

Long story short my chimney/flue is collapsing and I'm converting my appliances to high efficiency and side venting.

My furnace is 9 years old. Works perfectly. Is there any value on Craigslist? Is it worth taking apart and selling the parts on Ebay? Or should i just scrap the whole thing?

Not really sure where to post this, but it will be in my garage and burns gas.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I work in HVAC and the individual parts aren't worth much even new and they aren't universal so you'd have to hope somebody needed that exact part and was willing to chance buying it used. You might find somebody willing to pay you $100 for the old furnace if you were willing to hold onto it but we just toss the old stuff right in the trash.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

Use it to heat your garage?

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
Use it to heat your garage?
Wait, can I do that? I have a gas line with a closed off and capped tap in the garage and the flue run would be super easy since its a single story garage. It's uninsulated, but would it provide enough heat out some simple vents?

The idea never crossed my mind, but now I'm thinking...
Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
Wait, can I do that? I have a gas line with a closed off and capped tap in the garage and the flue run would be super easy since its a single story garage. It's uninsulated, but would it provide enough heat out some simple vents?

The idea never crossed my mind, but now I'm thinking...
Sure people do it all the time. Make sure your gas line is big enough to deliver enough gas for the furnace.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Agglet is absolutely correct. Depending on the length of the run of gas line I would hope it's 3/4 to your garage and reduced to 1/2 inch where it terminates. If you have kids or have friends over please use what is called "B" vent to exhaust flue gases. Single wall venting can get extremely hot and it only takes a couple of seconds to get burned. I do HVAC for several apartment complexes and was able to set a friend up with heating and a/c for his garage. Now my Harley is in climate control year round storage for free.

Last edited by JudgeMental1; 10-07-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Spell in
JudgeMental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Yeah, meter is by the garage so its 3/4ths there and 1/2 in the utility room so it should be good.

I've seen installs in ceiling rafters with the furnace tipped horizontal, any downsides to that if done with proper mounts?

Don't really care about efficiency as it is a garage. I'd be taking the a/c coil out so i wouldn't need to worry about drainage off that.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-07-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
Yeah, meter is by the garage so its 3/4ths there and 1/2 in the utility room so it should be good.

I've seen installs in ceiling rafters with the furnace tipped horizontal, any downsides to that if done with proper mounts?

Don't really care about efficiency as it is a garage. I'd be taking the a/c coil out so i wouldn't need to worry about drainage off that.
As long as the furnace is able to be mounted horizontally you are fine if you do the proper setup which usually includes moving some parts inside around check the manual and it will show you what you need to do.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage