mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #1161 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
They had resources the town could use, there is no way to judge any individuals true intentions, that would be a lot more mouths to feed. It may not be pretty, but there was logic to what he did. Even though we still don't know his intentions either.
This is my point.

Does it make it ethical? Not a chance

However there is a logic behind it. *IF* the town has enough bodies for defense and is only lacking on supplies there is a logic to wanting supplies and not more mouths to feed. Logic is neither good nor evil - it is simply a process of consideration. Thats why one has to have ethics considered seperately. Idenitifying a choice as having a certain logic is not the same as agreeing with it ethically.

Though the idea of the man to woman ratio if a fighting society having more women is historically supported

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 11-02-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #1162 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
This is my point.

However there is a logic behind it. *IF* the town has enough bodies for defense and is only lacking on supplies there is a logic to wanting supplies and not more mouths to feed. Logic is neither good nor evil - it is simply a process of consideration. Thats why one has to have ethics considered seperately. Idenitifying a choice as having a certain logic is not the same as agreeing with it ethically.

Though the idea of the man to woman ratio if a fighting society having more women is historically supported
This reminds me of the episode of Jericho when the bandits who had stumbled upon military gear came to Jericho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #1163 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:

However there is a logic behind it. *IF* the town has enough bodies for defense and is only lacking on supplies there is a logic to wanting supplies and not more mouths to feed. Logic is neither good nor evil - it is simply a process of consideration. Thats why one has to have ethics considered seperately.

Good to hear I am glad you agree with it not being ethical, I was concerned. However, to separate ones's logic from one's ethics is a crime to that one's humanity. If we place logic over our ethics we become instinctive and primal in nature. To say one's logic is not directly correlated with one's ethics makes one a sociopath. Logic is therefore congruent with one's ethic. I would dare say you can judge a man by his logic for his logic is governed by his ethics.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #1164 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNuke View Post
Good to hear I am glade you agree with it no being ethical, I was concerned. However, to separate ones's logic from one's ethics is a crime to that one's humanity. If we place logic over our ethics we become instinctive and primal in nature. To say one's logic is not directly correlated with one's ethics makes one a sociopath. Logic is therefore congruent with one's ethic. I would dare say you can judge a man by his logic for his logic is governed by his ethics.
I don't agree. Seperating logic from ethics does not put logic above ethics. It allows one to see and understand why people may act in a way they do. Its kind of a moot point though.

I do not agree with utilitarianism to that degree and it would require a very utilitarian argument to justify the governors actions.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #1165 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
I don't agree. Seperating logic from ethics does not put logic above ethics. It allows one to see and understand why people may act in a way they do. Its kind of a moot point though.

I do not agree with utilitarianism to that degree and it would require a very utilitarian argument to justify the governors actions.
I see your point. Whether you are a trader or a patriot is a matter of dates and the winner gets to write the history book.

Logic:reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
If I understand you correctly you are saying ones logic is already valid. I believe one's logic must be qualified and that qualifier is their principles or ethics behind their decision.
Anyways back on track let's watch them kill some Walkers!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #1166 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Logic is ever so technically the wrong word. What you are referencing is logic as a science (or pre-science) as it is used in Aristotlian style proofs. For the purpose of this conversation reasoning would be a strictly better choice than logic.

I still cannot wait until we see some spin-offs

Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #1167 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Logic is ever so technically the wrong word. What you are referencing is logic as a science (or pre-science) as it is used in Aristotlian style proofs. For the purpose of this conversation reasoning would be a strictly better choice than logic.

I still cannot wait until we see some spin-offs
Spin-offs will be so cool!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1168 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Good to hear I am glad you agree with it not being ethical, I was concerned. However, to separate ones's logic from one's ethics is a crime to that one's humanity. If we place logic over our ethics we become instinctive and primal in nature. To say one's logic is not directly correlated with one's ethics makes one a sociopath. Logic is therefore congruent with one's ethic. I would dare say you can judge a man by his logic for his logic is governed by his ethics.
I'd counter that that would be humanity at it's purist form. You can look at any block of time throughout the existence of man ans see many, many examples to support this.

Human nature is one of violence and brutality. Again, it's not pretty by any means. But that's how it is. There is a pecking order within all animal species. There will be "Alphas" that will assert dominance and lead the pack, and they'll eventually be replaced by a new younger Alpha.

I think in terms of a zombie apocalypse type event any attempt at trying to live in a Utopia without stepping on some toes, etc would quickly lead to ones demise.

Quote:
I see your point. Whether you are a trader or a patriot is a matter of dates and the winner gets to write the history book.

Trader or traitor?

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #1169 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Trader or traitor?
Wow OPPS!
Traitor, I have auto correct on my computer and it remember when I spell something wrong consistently and replaces it with the closest thing sometimes it helps other times it hinders my typing ability. I also use a dictation app for school papers and it often writes the wrong word. I have had some funny things come out of both this one is pretty good.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #1170 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Quote:

Humanity is gone. There is only survival.

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat