mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #2341 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
My understanding of most tomotoes (heirlooms excluded) was that they did not grow well without very close attention. Apparently I could be wrong
Tomatoes are probably one of the easiest vegetables to grow. When I had a garden, we constantly have stray plants start coming up from any tomatoes that got left on the ground. Beans are also really easy. I will say though that they did look to be possible tied up to stakes and such. I would have to rewatch it. They did look pretty well manicured. Tomatoes can actually grow out of control pretty quickly.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #2342 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
Tomatoes are probably one of the easiest vegetables to grow. When I had a garden, we constantly have stray plants start coming up from any tomatoes that got left on the ground. Beans are also really easy. I will say though that they did look to be possible tied up to stakes and such. I would have to rewatch it. They did look pretty well manicured. Tomatoes can actually grow out of control pretty quickly.
See how little I know. I have never seen tomato plants (or seeds) winter over. Then again it gets a lot colder here than in Atlanta.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #2343 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
See how little I know. I have never seen tomato plants (or seeds) winter over. Then again it gets a lot colder here than in Atlanta.
Did some quick research and it would seem tomatoes are actually quite resilient. They don't do super-well in the cold but grow all over the world and were a staple in Aztec diets even before Cortes arrived on the continent. I'd say they'd probably do just fine without people to care for them in Atlanta, though the particular plants in question did seem fairly well pruned, and again, in a lawn that looked freshly mowed 1-2 years after the collapse of society.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #2344 (permalink)
Super Moderated

The plants won't over winter (in regions that get frost), but their seeds will.
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2345 (permalink)
Addict.

CCM Fan
The thing I noticed is they only took the ripe red tomatoes. If ricks all farmer now, he would have known to grab green ones. They are harder to bruise, won't mash, and can be ripened when needed when left under a towel.... But I <3 stupid details
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
The cool thing about Buddhist monks is when they light themselves on fire in Martyrdom, they don't hang around for 7 years to tell you they are burning.
Feedback Please!
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #2346 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
though the particular plants in question did seem fairly well pruned, and again, in a lawn that looked freshly mowed 1-2 years after the collapse of society.
It's most likely they guy who was collecting all the bodies and burning them, Morgan.
The area is now "CLEAR", and should be spruced up a little. So, he's riding around in his Landscape Truck, mowing, pruning and raking.

Next week he'll start painting and siding..................
Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #2347 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
The plants won't over winter (in regions that get frost), but their seeds will.
Yep. I live in NW Ohio. I actually ripped up a bunch of plants once along with some tomatoes that got overly ripe or buggy and dumped em behind the garage at the end of the season. Had about 10 or more plants pop up the next year.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2348 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
My wife and I feel that the town boy was not surrendering and was acting in an aggressive manner.

With no training and running away from an ambush, I would think that he would be scared ***tless and drop the shotgun immediately when told.

I can't say that I would have shot him as quick as Carl did, but I didn't trust him either seeing as he was moving in and not complying.
I can see that...but I can also see that the kid was involved in a raid on the prison in which by all appearances failed horribly and the people inside are being wholesale slaughtered by the sounds of the gun fire and the screaming and whatnot.

So you have this untrained kid that is scared out of his mind with someone else pointing a gun at him just adds to the overall sense of panic and not being in your right mind..

Yeah he was acting slow but was not aggressive. And could have been talked down. That was the whole point of that scene was to show how Carl was becoming emotionally detached. The only people that mattered were the group and all others were threats to be dealt with. Carl did not see that kid as another kid like him...but instead as nothing but a target. And killing threats was something men did.

Something the writers also brought up in this season...Carl did not want to participate with what the other kids his age were doing. He thought it childish.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #2349 (permalink)
MCB Member

The lawns are probably being taken care of by roaming herds of goats and sheep. Those buggers can keep a lawn nice and tidy....just have to watch for the pellets afterwards
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #2350 (permalink)
Post Whore

^^^ I actually said something about this out loud this past week. Where are all of the animals? Shouldn't they be knee deep in cats and wild dogs by now?

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat