mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #2961 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
Sorry H.

But but why would Daryl have asked "do you know what he looks like?"

He wouldn't because he has no vested interest to know. No suspicion that it was a friend or anything like that. The information had to be presented from the gang's perspective not elicited from a question. So the passing comment that Phil got a look at his face is a more realistic presentation of getting the information out there.

Nor does your line of questioning provide motivation for the group. That is already set by them mentioning that they are hunting down the person who killed a "friend" and left him as a walker trap. There again is no reason for Daryl to ask a question as to "did you see who it was" sort of things. That makes no sense whatsover given the context and the characters as they have been developed.

Now if that was Rick...Rick being a former police officer would have asked the question "did you get a good look at him" or something similar. Not Daryl.

And not certain how you think my logic would have come up with that. A terrible analysis on your part. Because if you think the logic is that then why not just skip to the end.

And I agree that we do not know what the importance of things currently are. Never said otherwise. What I said is that we did not need to know Phil's name. "need" is past tense and in the context of the conversation was limited to what we were talking about. Of course that could change. That is the sign of good writing to be able to make things that are normally not important something of importance. Knowing the name of a character helps humanize the character, we saw that with Lizzy actually giving names to the walkers. She was humanizing them mentally. She was nuts...but that is what naming them does.
you're kidding me right? daryl asked that in the show. criticize it all you want, but you're barking up the wrong tree because it wasn't my idea.

his exact quote was "'d you see his face?"

suddenly, you don't like something the show did either. watch out, now the fans are going to hate on you too lol.

and how can you "make things that are normally not important something of importance" if you never allowed that thing to exist to begin with? like i said, phil's name could have been thrown at us earlier as something "normally not important" so they can call back on in this episode in order to make it into "something of importance." as they did it, it wasn't a thing in the first place because they never implemented it until it actually needed to be important, so even following your standard of good writing, they failed.

Last edited by heinous; 03-27-2014 at 02:27 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #2962 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am not above saying it but I do stand corrected in that Daryl did ask. Was finally able to go back and re-watch the episode.

Also willing to admit that it was Tony and not Phil.

I still do not really classify this as poor writing as quickly as you do. I understood the overall intent of the entire conversation and it's purpose. To show that these guys are out for revenge.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #2963 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
why would Daryl have asked "do you know what he looks like?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
you're kidding me right? daryl asked that in the show. criticize it all you want, but you're barking up the wrong tree because it wasn't my idea.

Quote:
I do stand corrected in that Daryl did ask.
"you keep using that word, i do not think it means what you think it means."

and let's be realistic. the show just established tony as an important character by giving him the role of sole witness to who attacked their friend. meanwhile you just recognized the show failed to even instill into you his real name over the course of 2 hours. you still think the show's writing is good. that's a very strong commitment to your faith in the writers there.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #2964 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Lets practice:

This show has massive plot holes. This show moments of being very poorly written.

Personally I think the moments of being poorly written is that the writers do not get enough information on the long term plot. I think, to avoid leaks, a lot of information is held very close to the vest or they are playing fast and loose and making it up as they go.

Its ok to admit the show has flaws. Its ok to admit you still enjoy watching it with those flaws.

For the record watching Dexter from the start on Netflix. I don't think the the writers of that show know the difference between psychopathology and schizophrenia. Still an interesting show.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #2965 (permalink)
aka SoulCoffin

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
i think we should all just stop watching walking dead and start watching resurrection...
TooningSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #2966 (permalink)
Banned

are you insane? game of thrones start in 2 weeks. now THAT's a show with good writers.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #2967 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
are you insane? game of thrones start in 2 weeks. now THAT's a show with good writers.
I have the first 2 seasons but I haven't watched the show yet. I have read the books and the writing goes downhill later on so it will be interesting to see how the show does.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #2968 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooningSpork View Post
i think we should all just stop watching walking dead and start watching resurrection...
you mean The Returned the french version of it. and was based off novel
Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #2969 (permalink)
Oldbie

I missed it the first time and don't feel like watching the whole thing online, what was written on the minivan window?

FYBIPPB

HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #2970 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I missed it the first time and don't feel like watching the whole thing online, what was written on the minivan window?
"let mommy be," or something similar. it's occupied by a fem zombie.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat