mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #3011 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #3012 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Sounds like most of the concerns in this thread could be remedied by having some preppers or military tacticians advising the script writers. Maybe they figure most fans won't analyze the show this closely though.

I could say if they realized they were being herded they should have found a way NOT to let it happen, like make a stand in the candle room or something.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.
a show on national tv and they don't think people from all walks of life will at least check it out.

kirkman's ego wouldn't think that. more likely, he thinks he knows a lot about everything and didn't need any consultants. that's why trigger discipline is bad, good fences fail when bad ones don't, and farming is easy like the pieces of cakes he binge eats.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #3013 (permalink)
MCB Member

But why consult with "preppers" or the like if the characters themselves are not that type of people either. The only time you want to consult with preppers or tacticians on a military level is when you are dealing with people that are on that level as well.

Your average Joe Blow is not going to be a prepper nor a military stategist. They will be the type that does the best that they can with the knowledge that they have. If they are smart enough then they will surround themselves with people of like mind but varying skills that can be shared and taught to others.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 PM   #3014 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
everyone needs to remember that it is a show about zombies

crank up your suspension of disbelief, because ZOMBIES

seriously - zombies violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Well clearly in a universe where the laws of thermodynamics are so readily broken or radically different then why not have < insert nitpick about the show here > ?
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #3015 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
But why consult with "preppers" or the like if the characters themselves are not that type of people either. The only time you want to consult with preppers or tacticians on a military level is when you are dealing with people that are on that level as well.

Your average Joe Blow is not going to be a prepper nor a military stategist. They will be the type that does the best that they can with the knowledge that they have. If they are smart enough then they will surround themselves with people of like mind but varying skills that can be shared and taught to others.
because a good fence is a good fence, and a bad fence is a bad fence, regardless of the skill level of the ones they protect, and because people who aren't preppers/military/actual farmers shouldn't be able to apparently make farming easier than actual farmers can, feeding more people with less plot of land.

you're going to need a consultant for things, because consultants are not just for what people WOULD do, but also for what is and isn't plausible. kirkman is so unaware of various aspects of his show that he is even unaware of how unaware he is.

and rick is a cop, with 2 children in tow, surrounded by civilians. by all reasoning rick should have had the common sense to make sure everyone in the prison who used a gun knows proper trigger discipline if only to protect carl and judith from friendly fire. we all know he had plenty of time to do it back at the prison, so there's your example of a professional character necessitating a consultant to tell kirkman what things that kind of professional would do, even following your reasoning for more limited roles of consultants than there ought to be.

when pixar designed future humans for wall e, they consulted a biologist. by your account, they shouldn't have, because none of the characters are biologists, but it was a good thing that they did to ensure the deterioration of mankind in zero gravity would be logical.

Last edited by heinous; 03-31-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #3016 (permalink)
MCB Member

No one is saying that having consultants is something that should not be done. But in the context of some of the conversations utilizing consultants would have swayed plausibility in the other direction. If Carol was coming up with ultra sophisticated military style execution of a raid on Terminus or something like that then it would not be plausible either.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #3017 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
No one is saying that having consultants is something that should not be done. But in the context of some of the conversations utilizing consultants would have swayed plausibility in the other direction. If Carol was coming up with ultra sophisticated military style execution of a raid on Terminus or something like that then it would not be plausible either.
that's a non-issue. if a specialized consultant was brought into production he would know enough to tell the crew carol wouldn't know the right thing to do, because we are a bunch of random people and even we know this.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #3018 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Truthfully, I'm with Bored; but if the REALITY of this show is what the conversation is about, then...

I don't know Kirkmann well enough to speak about his ego.

I figure by this time most of the people who have survived either were preppers or military, or with preppers or military, or learned through trial and error what works and what doesn't.

On the flip side, I figure the majority of the audience don't know diddly about what would actually work and what wouldn't.

Example: As a ham I can say "why the hell don't they have a two way radio system up and running for communication? They have power (at least 12v from running autos, and we assumed they got the prison generators going earlier in this thread I believe) and access to highways full of cars, trucks, and military vehicles. Grab some CB, or ham radios and set them up! Heck, I don't even need to be a ham! Any trucker should know that!

...and contrarily, setting up a radio station like the one Terminus has set up is much more of a pain in the *** unless you have a broadcast engineer available."

But, I just watch the show and enjoy it even if some things obvious to me are not considered by the writers.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #3019 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Truthfully, I'm with Bored; but if the REALITY of this show is what the conversation is about, then...
the sad thing is, the show even betrays its own reality that previous episodes have set up.

there was a zombie that could open a door or something in earlier episodes.

also the aforementioned fence. they established with the prison that a double layer of fencing with a community within would still attract zombies to the paramenters. that was a god damn prison and its fences required fortifying and active patrol. terminus is just a train station with 1 layer of fencing, with cargo containers full of unhappy prisoners, not to mention all the commotion of the actual community, and yet it is zombie free without requiring visible foot patrol.

suspension of disbelief is one thing. a single show requiring various levels of suspension of disbelief across episodes is just lame.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #3020 (permalink)
Oldbie

That meat, the bones that remain, make it look more like something was feeding on people rather than people being butchered.

FYBIPPB

HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat