mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #391 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Big.. Daryl is the wild card FYI, he is the only one of the group that isn't in the comics.

I have a friend who needs a spoiler alert warning sign.. she reads the comics.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #392 (permalink)
www.armorsquad.com

I personally have really enjoyed season one and season two. They drew everyone in and now need to develop for a longer run. As it was said by writers or producers for the show, it isn't about all the zombie killing, it's the story. I think the writing is pretty good, and of course, every major screen writer is coming out of the wood work decrying whats before, as they are a Hollywood legend.

Seriously who remembers from episode one Rick gets the Beretta and frag of the zombie soldier in the tank. Grenade disappeared until the last moment of the first season to save the survivors from the CDC. That's quality writing. How much easier would it have been to drop it of the roof top for a "gore show".

Take another: When Rick and his wife discuss Carl's fate facing an operation, Rick is for the pursuit of hope under the circumstances and his wife ponders letting him go to spare him a terrible potential future. When they're sitting on the floor of the room later at the corner facing away, Rick is in the light of the room and his wife is in the dark. Tell me that wasn't planned in the writing. I enjoy a Resident Evil kill fest as much as anyone, but I enjoy it for the story, and it's keeping me engrossed.

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #393 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
I personally have really enjoyed season one and season two. They drew everyone in and now need to develop for a longer run. As it was said by writers or producers for the show, it isn't about all the zombie killing, it's the story. I think the writing is pretty good, and of course, every major screen writer is coming out of the wood work decrying whats before, as they are a Hollywood legend.

Seriously who remembers from episode one Rick gets the Beretta and frag of the zombie soldier in the tank. Grenade disappeared until the last moment of the first season to save the survivors from the CDC. That's quality writing. How much easier would it have been to drop it of the roof top for a "gore show".

Take another: When Rick and his wife discuss Carl's fate facing an operation, Rick is for the pursuit of hope under the circumstances and his wife ponders letting him go to spare him a terrible potential future. When they're sitting on the floor of the room later at the corner facing away, Rick is in the light of the room and his wife is in the dark. Tell me that wasn't planned in the writing. I enjoy a Resident Evil kill fest as much as anyone, but I enjoy it for the story, and it's keeping me engrossed.
I agree completely. They cant have a frag fest every episode. The main idea behind the show is how Rick tries to keep his family going during whats basically the end of the world.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #394 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

And just like the writers have said, the show and the comics isn't about zombies and zombie killing as much as it is surviving an apocalyptic event. The zombies are secondary and might as well not even be there and simply be replaced by some other apocalyptic event.

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #395 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
I look forward to next episode! I hope nothing too bad happens to the boondock saints redneck guy! He's my favorite character there.
I watched "Hell On Wheels" afterward to see the clip of next weeks episode not shown. Dwayne falls, and seems to get his last crossbow bolt through the rib-cage somehow. Sorta like in "The Deliverance" when John Voight shoots himself in the thigh with a bow. Some freaking how.
(I've been shooting a bow since I was a kid and still can't figure that one out....)
Good news though, as I stated last season in this thread, Dwayne is using target points, so the chances of him bleeding to death from being struck or otherwise impaled by a crossbow bolt with a target point is relatively slim, unless of course he has zombie-virus-guts or pus on it and it gets into his blood stream..............................

I'm still hooked, and still watching and hoping for some Remington 1100 style decapitations of zombies like in Resident Evil.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #396 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
Good news though, as I stated last season in this thread, Dwayne is using target points, so the chances of him bleeding to death from being struck or otherwise impaled by a crossbow bolt with a target point is relatively slim, ...
Do you really think these writers have any understanding in this field whatsoever?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #397 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Do you really think these writers have any understanding in this field whatsoever?
They should.
You're writing should include some semblance to reality. I was always taught to research, research, research and research some more.
Look at "Falling Skies" on TNT. It's almost silly. The show takes place in Metropolitan Boston. I happen to live in Metropolitan Boston. When Dale Dye tells someone to "Take Route 3 to Revere" it just sounds STUPID. Look at a map of Metropolitan Boston. Route 3 goes NOWHERE NEAR Revere. The writers could have just looked at MAPQUEST and got it correct.
They're just being lazy. I saw a "Thundarr the Barbarian" episode which was made in the early 70's. The scene took place in post-apocalyptic Lynn Massachusetts, on the Swampscott border at route 129. The CARTOON was 100% accurate. It was if the background artist grew up there. Perhaps he did. But, the storyline took place in an actual place in reality and was accurate. It's like watching "The A Team" when you see hundreds of .223 rounds being shot out of Mini-14's on full-auto, the car they shoot the rifles into look like a swiss cheese, the car launches 40 feet into the air, flips over five times, and all the occupants walk out unscathed. STUPID.
Yes, I know that it's supposed to be fantasy/entertainment, but at least don't insult my intelligence. Do your homework while you're writing a script, story or screenplay.
Stephen King does. So do countless other authors. I guess this is what seperates the men from the boys?
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #398 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelballer View Post
I'm wondering if the farmers have the little girl. I'm sick of watching them look for her and the mother laying around crying about it.
I'm sick of Carol's character to begin with. It was bad enough when she was the battered wife who had to be rescued from her d-bag husband, and now when her own daughter is missing in the zombie-infested woods, instead of being the first one to gear up and head out after her she'd rather sit around crying about how Rick lost her. Would have been an awesome chance to redeem that character in my eyes but I think in any given Zombie media there just HAS to be that one character that you really just WISH would get eaten. I think it's Carol's turn to be that character lol.

As for everybody else going on about how its boring, if all the show was, was mindless slaughter of zombies it would get even more boring even more quickly. There has to be intrigue and character growth beyond just bashing zombie skulls in or else there wouldn't be much of a show.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #399 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've been watching faithfully, but the problem I have is not so much the lack of realism as:

1. The increasing use of quick transitions to not bother showing the difficult scenes, For example, they spend 15 minutes showing Carl freaking out while having the 1st piece of shrapnel removed, but once Shane brings back the respirator, they cut to post-surgery and he looks fine. No scars, no need for additional transfusions during the procedure, no mention of the horse doctor struggling with major surgery, etc.

2. I'll echo the lack of zombies. I know that the apocalypse is just supposed to be the backdrop to show the character interactions, but by removing the majority presence of the zombies and the danger/survival obstacles they should constantly present, its been turning into more of a traditional soap opera. Are we really more worried about who if fathering who's child or which character will the farm girl hook up with or does the rough tumble blonde have feelings for the paternal character? The 1st season did a better job of showing how the zombies impacted the characters choices (or lack thereof) and their psychology. The zombie plague is the WHOLE reason for the show and their hook - don't toss it away.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #400 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Hyundai FTW!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat