mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

insane shipping on ebay

Does this bug anybody else?
An auction starts at $.01 and shipping is 150.00
There is an auction I am watching, the bid is at 50.00 and shipping is 35.00 UPS (standard). Shipping for this shouldn't be more than 15.00 (with handling fees)
I know it sounds silly but I would be more inclined to bid 85.00 with 15.00 shipping than 65.00 with 35.00 shipping.
Sometimes I think it is a matter of principal than the actual dollars and cents of the matter. (I guess I am just weird with stuff like this)
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
It's a minor scam... and it works...

Ok, so scam is a harsh word as you know up front what the cost is.. and idealy you will take it into account when purchasing...

But in a bidding war frenzy, people forget the shipping cost, and concentrate on the item and its "worth"

So then you bid up to what that item is worth, forgetting about the high shipping cost. So yeah: it works.

Honestly, I just refuse to buy from people who don't give me actual shipping cost, or something reasonable for shipping and handling.
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy
Honestly, I just refuse to buy from people who don't give me actual shipping cost, or something reasonable for shipping and handling.
Bingo. I apply this to all online purchases, not just e-bay. And as someone who does a lot of shipping I know the ranges of acceptable shipping fees.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Actually, I don't know if you guys remember this, but on ebay, there were 10 .68 carbines for sale with 20 dollar shipping. So I bought it. However, a few days later after he shipped it, he asked for 20 more dollars cause the shipping was more than he thought it was. I didnt pay him extra, but if he had told me this before the auction ended, in a little edit box, I would have paid. Honeslty, I think he was trying to get more money out of me becuase I think the postal on the boxes was a total of like 28bucks
Old 04-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy
It's a minor scam... and it works...

Ok, so scam is a harsh word as you know up front what the cost is.. and idealy you will take it into account when purchasing...

But in a bidding war frenzy, people forget the shipping cost, and concentrate on the item and its "worth"

So then you bid up to what that item is worth, forgetting about the high shipping cost. So yeah: it works.

Right. It is a scam. I don't even bid on items like that.
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to gbw369

shipping

The other reason most of them do it is that you pay ebay a fee based on your initial listing price- so it is much, much cheaper to list it for $.01 with $150 shipping than $130 with $20 shipping- however, ebay doesn't allow this, so if you see it and really don't like it, you can always mention it to ebay.

WVU Fan- Let's go Mountaineers!

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1585
gbw369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Location: Ewing NJ (find Trenton, then run North as fast as you can)

In the past I've always emailed the seller to nicely ask if they can come down a little on the shipping fee's etc if they were drastically off. It's actually worked a few times, and was especially sweet when the price of shipping was swaying other folks from bidding. :^)
Then again I have gotten some rather rude responses but oh well...
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Report it, ebay does not tolerate that scam or form of it the seller will immediately have his account suspended.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

What I have seen, and e-bay will do nothing about is this (and yes one e-bay seller gets complaints about this ALL the time)…. Sell a burned CD of something you can find online for free, and charge $5 shipping. For that you expect a Priority Mail BOX at least.. but the seller sends the CD in an unpadded envelope for less than $.50. The CD gets damaged and the seller blames the BUYER for not paying for insurance (and e-bay lets the seller get away with it). Or the buyer notices the huge difference in shipping and complains and the seller states “You agreed to the shipping when you finalized the deal.”

These are both wrong in my opinion, yet e-bay allows them.

What I advise is folks ask how an item is being shipped before agreeing to the price. Then if the item does not arrive in the shipping method you were told it would, then you have a legitimate complaint no matter WHAT e-bay normally says. Do not just settle for a price. Insist on knowing how it will be shipped and make sure the price is reasonable for that method.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat