mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Don't talk to me that way!!!!!

When places hire folks to talk to customers they should really pay attention to how they talk. I just got in a call from my cable company, who I also use for my digital voice service. They wanted to ask me a few questions about my service.

Well, the female who called talked in one of those extremely irritating “all sunny” voices that go up several notes at the end of every sentence she made: you know a cross between a Valley Girl and how people talk to babies. I have been very busy today and her voice simply irritated me to no end.

I stopped her and asked her, “Before we continue, can I please ask that you speak in a normal way? You see, when you finish each sentence your voice goes up several notes and it is very irritating.” She then sounded hurt and replied “I was unaware that I was doing that, this is how I talk all the time”. Of course STILL doing the same thing I asked her not to do.

She then asked if I would like to have someone else call me. I said, “Please”. And we ended the call. I could not help but laugh.

But seriously, when you are hired to be the “voice” of a business, you should pay attention to how you talk. And those who hire them should as well.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
My company operates several call centers, and one of our call center managers was "reassigned" after telling a prospective employee that her voice was not suited to phone work. The woman's voice was so annoying I can't even begin to mock it. It was breathy-scratchy-squeaky. She sounded like a teen boy with his voice breaking all the time she was talking.

The woman threatened to sue after her interview, so the manager was demoted, and she got hired anyway. She then managed to get so many customers upset with her that she was eventually written up enough times to fire her.

Too bad we couldn't have stuck with the hiring manager's first impression of her.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr
My company operates several call centers, and one of our call center managers was "reassigned" after telling a prospective employee that her voice was not suited to phone work. The woman's voice was so annoying I can't even begin to mock it. It was breathy-scratchy-squeaky. She sounded like a teen boy with his voice breaking all the time she was talking.

The woman threatened to sue after her interview, so the manager was demoted, and she got hired anyway. She then managed to get so many customers upset with her that she was eventually written up enough times to fire her.

Too bad we couldn't have stuck with the hiring manager's first impression of her.
No kidding. A phone voice should be a requirement for a phone job. And saying someone is not suited for the position because they simply have an annoying voice should not be any more “wrong” than telling someone who is 4 feet tall that they don’t have the requirements for the job of flight attendant.

You know, PCness has really gotten bad……
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
The PT that shares office space with me has an annoying assistant w/ the breathy/scratchy/squeaky voice Robert described. And it's loud and CONSTANT. She never shuts up. As one patient said 'She can hold a conversation all by herself'. Plus she's 'perky', so after everything she says she does this forced chuckle-hahhahhahhahhah. I've come out of my room while working on people just to tell her to shut up.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Ooooh! We have 2 "self depreciating laughers" here at work. Every sentence or two you're treated to the incredibly annoying fake chuckle.

My plan is to secretly lure them both into a locked room and see which one comes out alive.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I'm glad Robertsr came through with a real world example because the first thing I thought when I read Shartley's first post was that someone would sue if an employer told them something like that.

That being said, I agree that the quality of people hired to man call centers is seriously lacking. Quite frankly, most businesses have little control over the "voice" of their business as call centers are very often outsourced to third parties (often in othe countries but within the US as well). I can't understand them at all half the time.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Geez... you think a simple "Valley Girl" is annoying? I had to talk with a Dell rep a few months back about a dead hard drive. Of course I was talking to India.

Strong Indian(dots not feathers) accents are amusing... yet can take some serious careful listening to decipher.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Thts why I deal only wiht Dell Small Buisness.. they dont need to know its out of your home or not...

The SB side is all American techs on the phone.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

I would rather talk to a person with an annoying voice then, then have to talk to a computer over the phone any day.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat