mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I get people trying this to me weekly with DvD players.
If you know they are doing it, they aren't doing it right. I had 5 playstation's replaced using that method. Trick is to open the box without breaking seals and swapping guts.

Can't believe they are doing it with DVD players these days, it's not worth the trouble. They aren't that expensive.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglb View Post
I feel so bad for my boys, they were so excited that it was going up, but now its become such a headache! !

Last edited by heinous; 06-11-2010 at 09:33 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
If you know they are doing it, they aren't doing it right. I had 5 playstation's replaced using that method. Trick is to open the box without breaking seals and swapping guts.

Can't believe they are doing it with DVD players these days, it's not worth the trouble. They aren't that expensive.
People tried to do this with PS3/Xbox.

I'm smarter then your average retailer. I pop them open, check hard-drive is not tampered with, validate serial number on unit. Never had an issue sending a truly defective one back, and turned away a lot of jerks trying to fool me.

I'm a corporate store, its not really a loss personally to me. But there are dealer stores where if you pull a stunt like that, you are taking money from the business owners pocket directly.

EDIT- I'm at a very small retail location, what is known in the states as Radioshack, and the Source in Canada. We aren't like futureshop/bestbuy/walmart, we check products on return.

Sorry for thread hijack >.>

Last edited by Rover; 06-11-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

You know why all sales are final in every store in Asia even if you do get a genuinely defective product? It's because of people like you.

Don't **** it up in America too dude.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
you should make speedball bunkers out of the pool...
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Deleted, because you don't understand what I did.

Last edited by ta2maki; 06-11-2010 at 10:38 PM.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Nope, people like me are the reasons why newer game systems have cutouts through the box so you can see the serial numbers on the product and the boxes come strapped so you can't open them up. As mentioned one post above yours, retailers now check product once the seal has been opened. You can't pull this off any more without going through a lot of work and time. Just not worth it.

Different buyer/seller culture is the reason behind 'all sales are final' in asia.
they don't mean jack when you can swap hard drives as mentioned. don't abuse a good system.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Nope, people like me are the reasons why newer game systems have cutouts through the box so you can see the serial numbers on the product and the boxes come strapped so you can't open them up. As mentioned one post above yours, retailers now check product once the seal has been opened. You can't pull this off any more without going through a lot of work and time. Just not worth it.

Different buyer/seller culture is the reason behind 'all sales are final' in asia.
First things first.

Boxes aren't 'strapped'. No box of any product I retail save for televisions come strapped. And we -always- opened TVs, not because of concerns for the customers swapping them but to verify they aren't broken.

Gaming companies started to place the serial number as they did exactly because people such as yourself scammed them, you are right. And the next evolution of that scam was to steal the harddrives, which makes it a moot point that the unit has a serial number, you now make Mr. Retail Employee take the xbox out, spin it over, verify about 7 different seals and checks to make sure nothings missing or been tampered with, then repack it. A process which takes a good and thorough employee such as myself about 2 minutes, tops.

I see post deleted and changed.

'Don't understand what you did?'

You scammed businesses because you weren't happy with the product you got?

A procedure that used to take only 30 seconds now takes around 2 minutes and 30 seconds. That doesn't sound a lot, but look at it from a retailers perspective. On average in the industry, 6-7% return is standard. Our company is around 10%, only because we do a lot of 'swaps' for the proper product when people get the wrong thing.

10%. I personally do in a month about 300 invoices. 30 of those on average are returns. These procedures cost me about an hour a month of time I could put elsewhere. I am one employee in a company that employs close to 1600 sales associates. And I am in a -very- slow store, with few invoices, but using me as an example procedures implemented to stop the sort of fraud you advocated cost our business a rough 1600 hours a month (And most assuredly more, considering the size of other stores), across the country of Canada. Minimum wage is anywhere from 8$-10$, not counting commission or bonuses. So, ballpark 15,000$ a month in lost wages, all because people like to abuse the system.

Thats not even counting the extra time and labor manufacturers put into securing their products to allow us store retail staff to catch the fraudsters.

Again, thread hijack!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
C'mon, this is America. You know some of that "time better spent elsewhere" is playing paper football and scoping out milfs. Productivity is never 100%. America.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
C'mon, this is America. You know some of that "time better spent elsewhere" is playing paper football and scoping out milfs. Productivity is never 100%. America.
I'm actually in Canada

But I get what you are saying. However, its two minutes extra they would of had to rack up those football points, or spot out those racks. Two minutes stolen away forever!

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat