mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Need help killing porcupines... Best gun setup?

I ask because I took a shot at two of them. Just one shot at each (I had two of those buggers in my yard), and this morning I'm not 100% sure I hit them. I'm sure my 45 would have left a mark.

Now, I probably should have taken an extra shot each, but I was holding the gun with one hand, and my giant mag-lite in the other. I never one hand a 45, and the buggers were on the move. So it wouldn't be surprising if I missed them.

I'm thinking I need a new varmint gun. Problem is, these guys only come out at night, so I need an illuminating source of some sort.

Tactical shotgun with flashlight? that would work. Maybe a lazer pointer on one of my pistols? That would be nice too.

Basically, I'm going to use this as an excuse to get something new, fun, and a way to snag more accessories.

And if you must know, porcupines cost me over $1000 in vet bills earlier this year. I've vowed to kill them all if they hit my yard. Normally I'm cool with it, like I have these two wild rabbits that hang out in my yard morning and night. they're cool. They know not to go in my garden, I then don't mow the clover so they can eat it.

But porcupines. Prepare to be terminated.

So suggestions on gun setups so I will be a bit more accurate in the pitch dark of night.
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Running around in the dark with a .45 I would say the smart money is that you missed them lol...

My supervisor at work was telling be about a gun his buddy owns, that they were shooting up at his cabin in central PA. It was a .17 HMR (?) or something of that effect, supposedly its similar to a .22 cartridge but necked down like a miniature .223 or .308 rifle cartridge. He said the thing was an absolute varmint-wrecker, and pretty effectively removed large portions of meat from groundhogs and basically "essploded" squirrels. I'd presume that being of a similar size to a groundhog, it would work for your porcupines.

As for lighting? Come on man, pony up and buy a nightscope. Just be sure to capture your adventures on camera so we can watch your best Bill Murray in Caddyshack impression...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

There are various different 17s - I have an HMR. Nice rifle but the big advantage they have over a 22 is range. People hunt things with them they would never dream of hunting with a 22 (coyote is a popular choice) and then explain that such choices make them a superior gun. Unless you are looking for range from a rimfire, or the cool factor, a 22 is more practical. That being said you can pick up nice savage models of them for a couple hundred dollars new and put on a very nice night scope system I would bet

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cheap .22 with a cheap scope, shop flood lights. Maybe a trap?

Last edited by 845845845; 06-26-2010 at 09:55 AM.
845845845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
All I could think of was Carter as the Last Man on Earth but with porcupines rather than zombie/vampires and started to lol.

They mostly come at night, mostly...

I say Saiga 12 w/ night vision just for pure awesomeness.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Barrett .50 cal with night vision scope....may only have to kill one,I doubt they'd come back after a shot from that lol

Actually best bet is stealth,how about a suppressed pellet gun? The Airforce Talon SS might be a good choice...co2 powered and built in suppressor so as not to upset the neighbors

LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Agree with some of the above, for porcupine a good .22 is more than enough rifle. Put some decent glass on it. Heck, if you have an AR already you could go with one of the .22 conversions for fairly cheap and you're ready for mounting a tac light/bipod/whatever.

Anything over .22 is getting into overkill territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Barrett .50 cal with night vision scope....may only have to kill one,I doubt they'd come back after a shot from that lol

Actually best bet is stealth,how about a suppressed pellet gun? The Airforce Talon SS might be a good choice...co2 powered and built in suppressor so as not to upset the neighbors

http://shop.oragie.com/images/talonSS.jpg
^ Another good suggestion.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
TANSTAAFL

CCM Fan
What about a 22 conversion for the 45? Keeps the other hand free for the Maglite.
"WHY is that guy licking Criticals pants?"
My Feedback
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

thermal goggles fusion infrared imagers

also great for night paintball
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

A shotgun will probably have the neighbors calling the police unless you live way out in the country. I would say 22 over 17 just because they are cheaper. Mount a tactical flashlight under a 22 long gun and you should be good for anything smaller than a large dog. You can always add a grenade launcher later.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat