mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Congrats on the new job, sounds like an awesome learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post

As for the forklift, when they had me in shipping and receiving, they were also doing a class to certify people on forklift. I started JUST in time to attend said class and get my forking license. After the "formal" class, the instructor taught us how to pick up quarters with a forklift.
That's so much less awesome than my bobcat training. I was working nightshift with another new-ish guy, and our foreman gave us the keys and told us not to break anything.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
haha so i applied, got a job at a machine shop to run lathes.
called myself a machinist.
boss heard, laughs and takes me to the manual lathe and mill
a few month later he goes... now your a machinist haha

i loveee the manual machines, the cnc get sooo boring

and as for forklifts/scissorlifts i just got trained the scissorlift has a "boost" button hehehe
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
After the "formal" class, the instructor taught us how to pick up quarters with a forklift.
You flip it back up onto the fork?
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Super Stanchy, yeah, my favorites are the manuals as well. They feel so much more involved.

Punkn, yep. Pretty much.

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
someone that pushes buttons is not a machinist, they are a CNC operator (AKA monkey).

a real machinist can run any machine manual or not.

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecksniper View Post
someone that pushes buttons is not a machinist, they are a CNC operator (AKA monkey).

bingo
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
welcome to the world of metal whittling.

think of your learning as an upside down pyramid, the more you learn the more you need to learn.
Quote:

Rns is so of win!

I made the error of calling myself a machinist when I was about 20. I now realize that I am nothing compared to the guys that do what I do but do it on manual machines, not cnc stuff.

Be proud of being an operator. it is the first step in learning, and like RNS said... the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
i thought myself to be a rather proficient and competent machinist not too long ago... i have now entered the world of the tool maker.

every day i feel like a school boy around these journeymen.

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

Quote:

Yup, right now I run a CNC Plasma table, Multicam 6000 Bridge and rail system, with a Hypertherm 400XPR Plasma unit and cooler, 10'x50' cutting surface. The machine cost $500,000....

....but i miss my Manual vertical mill. I've been "machining" since i was a kid, apprenticed under my dad who has 40+ years as a machinist. And i still don't consider myself anywhere near a machinist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

woah, WOAH! wait a second.

being paid to work in a machine shop does not make you a machinist, or anybody else. you can be a programmer, setter and operator, manual operator, material handler and handle things like machine maintenance, electronic trouble-shooting and process control, but none of that would make you a machinist.

some guys will argue the only way to become a machinist is to have the red seal (or equivalent journeyman level), but it's even more than that. to be a machinist is to be a very particular and special sort of person, with the necessary experience. you must become a one-man army of manufacturing prowess. you must rise above the rest, against all challenges, and become totally unstoppable. your senses will become the tools and materials you work with, your mind must be honed to a hundred edges, to cut through any problem to its solution, no matter how involved and elaborate it may be (or absolutely simple).

to be a real machinist you will have to train very hard, your brain will rewire itself as necessary so that you may evolve into this state of being. and you will know when the time comes, when you are there, in the zone, metal flying all around you, with flawless parts all around and zero scrap, and with you being solely responsible for your work. when you master every process from start to finish, and you master yourself, then you will be a machinist. and we will welcome you into the zone (this is a heaven reserved only for true masters).

as a machinist, you will make your own tools, your own machines, with fixtures of every kind, you will be able to build the whole factory all around you. you will operate three or more machines at the same time without a drop of sweat. when your forklift breaks you will probably fix it, because little things like hydraulics and pneumatics are just part of the job. when your machine genuinely does something wrong, you will fix it and put it back to work without a word of frustration. when your favorite carbide scraper chips you will make two more of them. when you are not sure of something, you will flip to the exact right page in your handbook. and when you get a nice steel chip trapped in your eye, you will extract it with a powerful magnet without a single tear. when a part rolls off your bench you catch it with your foot while you fill out your papers. you will be able to load a collet chuck in less than one whole second, while simultaneously cleaning the finished part. slow motion cameras will not even be able to keep up with your actions.

and you will never stop learning.

(the last shop I worked in, the four journeymen had a combined experience level of over 100 years. I was the fastest on the manual lathe and was very fortunate to be tasked with the toughest manual jobs, including custom tooling, fixtures and machine components, along with one-off parts. I was also frequently in charge of setting and running the CNC lathes, especially the rapid small parts machine with magazine bar-feeder, my specialty. best tooling in the shop inside that one, including my custom stuff. I am very proud to be contracting to that shop now, to produce the Falcon parts, all of them. superior team with exceptionally high standards.)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 10-08-2010 at 08:12 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat