mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

when u shocked what PPM did u take the CL up to?

when we shocked the pool i work at the other day (6 lane 25 meter with a diving well off one side, lanes 3-5 feet and the well drops off to 10 feet really quick) we dumped like 30 galons of CL in liquid form in.
-matt
Scenario Paintball Team
SR_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_matt
when u shocked what PPM did u take the CL up to?

when we shocked the pool i work at the other day (6 lane 25 meter with a diving well off one side, lanes 3-5 feet and the well drops off to 10 feet really quick) we dumped like 30 galons of CL in liquid form in.
-matt
I don't recall, but we followed the directions for our pool size. Nothing worked. Draining and starting fresh did. All levels are good now and the water is clear and clean.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Pool PWNAGE

I got pwnd by my pool for the first few weeks of the season. Mainly leaves and are really $hittie cover. My fault for tying weight to the cover. Apparently that helps destroy the cover even faster.

No matter, cover came off, water looked like coffee or worse. Kinda like a beer bottle after a party that was used for an ashtray.

We got it all cleared up now, and are waiting for some nice hot weather to swim. The pool is not heated.

Last year, I was too busy to open the pool and it got hot as balls. As soon as I opened the pool, it stayed nice and cool.

I suppose the cost for keeping the pool open is an even trade for the cool weather.
Verbious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbious
I got pwnd by my pool for the first few weeks of the season. Mainly leaves and are really $hittie cover. My fault for tying weight to the cover. Apparently that helps destroy the cover even faster.

No matter, cover came off, water looked like coffee or worse. Kinda like a beer bottle after a party that was used for an ashtray.

We got it all cleared up now, and are waiting for some nice hot weather to swim. The pool is not heated.

Last year, I was too busy to open the pool and it got hot as balls. As soon as I opened the pool, it stayed nice and cool.

I suppose the cost for keeping the pool open is an even trade for the cool weather.
That too can be a problem. We found that taking the cover OFF was the answer to keeping the water clear of “things”, not putting it ON.

Keeping the cover on in the middle of the summer is great (if you don’t use the pool all the time), but not in the spring when all the trees are dropping stuff. The cover actually prevents the filter system from doing what it is supposed to do (given that you have a skimmer system) and prevents you from going out several times a day and using a hand skimmer to clear dropped stuff from the top of the water.

With the cover off the skimmer filter system works great and we have to vacuum the bottom far less.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

liquid chlorinator

STrange. I have been shocking regulary, don't want the green pool syndrome.

The other day, I went out and the pool was starting to turn green. I dumped a gallon of liquid chlorinator in the pool and with an hour the water was crystal clear.

I don't run the pump full time. Mainly to cut down the electric bill.
Verbious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbious
STrange. I have been shocking regulary, don't want the green pool syndrome.

The other day, I went out and the pool was starting to turn green. I dumped a gallon of liquid chlorinator in the pool and with an hour the water was crystal clear.

I don't run the pump full time. Mainly to cut down the electric bill.
Again, normally the things mentioned in this thread work like a charm. But this was a severe situation and not normal. As stated, many ponds and beaches were closed down by the State for the exact same algae problem. It was caused by factors created by weeks of constant rain, not just a couple days, but very abnormal situations.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
Old 07-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
I drive the boat.

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Try switching to a salt water pool. My mom put one in last year and they rock. It's a little more on setup but pays off when you swim all day and don't have burning eyes. Plus it's easier for the kids to swim, we've had lots of rain but no problems (yet).

Good Luck
Tug
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

ewww, ya it might keep more stuff out but thats gona rust out all the metal in the pool.
-matt
Scenario Paintball Team
Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

When you say you test the water, do you mean just pH and chlorine or do you take a sample and have a pool company test it. We used to have a problem with pink algae (16x32 ft in-ground pool) but we switched pool companies and they now test for pH, chlorine, calcium hardness, etc. They give you specific instructions on what to put in and when and we haven't had a problem in years. Shocking regularly is a good idea, we do ours once every couple of weeks. However, keep in mind that even if you use the right amount of shock for the pool, if the other levels are not right, the chlorine won't stay in the pool, it will just dissipate. For example, when we opened our pool this year, we had the water tested and ended up shocking with 12 bags of granulated shock, as compared to the 2 bags we use every couple weeks and this was after they had already added all the chemicals necessary to get the pool up and running. Hope this helps.
RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

ya the basic kits just give you ph and chlorine/bromine. the more advanced kits give you acid demand, chlorine demand, and a bunch of other tests.

with the chlorine disapating the wya to fix that is to get whats refered to as stabilizer chlorine, its granular and you normaly put it into skimer baskets so it slowly seeps in but they way it is formed it wont disapate as quickly as granular (heck there was a small pool here that they had to drain a lot of water out and top it off because there was to much stabilizer cl in it that wouldnt dissapate out.

changing the ph might be enough to know the algee down a little but im not to sure on that (im just a lifeguard not a CPO)

-matt
Scenario Paintball Team

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat