mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   The algae won... this round... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/1386-algae-won-round.html)

shartley 07-03-2006 02:23 PM

The algae won... this round...

Okay, I admit defeat… this time.

After all the rain we had we suddenly got a bad case of the “green pool”. So we tried for a week to use the recommended chemicals to clear up the water. Well, it is HOT today and we are getting in some great pool weather. I am tired of messing around and losing the battle. So today I am draining the pool, giving it a good cleaning, and refilling it.

It is about half empty now, so later this afternoon/early evening it should be ready to clean and begin to fill. It took me a day and a half to fill it last time.

Well, algae you won this round. But from now on we will be shocking it once a week whether we think it needs it or not. LOL :gunsfiring:

Deadfall 07-03-2006 03:21 PM

Oof! Have fun with that water bill.

shartley 07-03-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadfall
Oof! Have fun with that water bill.

It is worth it. LOL

Uranus 07-03-2006 11:21 PM

Quick grab the neighbors hose!!!

kidneythief 07-06-2006 12:44 AM

Is it stagnat water or do you have one of those nifty filters?

A buddy of mine hasnt had a problem since he went to the pool place and grabbed a small airator/filter that keeps the water cycling around. He also uses a bit of chlorine which I believe is in tablet form.

Good luck and stay cool...

-Jake

shartley 07-06-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidneythief
Is it stagnat water or do you have one of those nifty filters?

A buddy of mine hasnt had a problem since he went to the pool place and grabbed a small airator/filter that keeps the water cycling around. He also uses a bit of chlorine which I believe is in tablet form.

Good luck and stay cool...

-Jake

We have a filter. The water is constantly moving. We also use both the chlorine tablets in the floating container as well as monitor our chemical, ph, etc. levels every other day or so. So it wasn’t due to lack of doing the right things. LOL

We didn’t have a problem until the constant rain. I think that was it. And the filter just could not keep up with the bad stuff being put into the pool. Neither could our chemicals. Heck, even the ponds around are having an algae problem as well as bacteria because of the rain as well. They can’t self adjust fast enough to keep up.

The pool is now drained, cleaned and filled again. It is very nice again. :D

Painthappy 07-06-2006 09:12 AM

Good deal... Did you try using that "shock" stuff, whatever that is they use in pools? I know my parents did and it worked for them.

shartley 07-07-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painthappy
Good deal... Did you try using that "shock" stuff, whatever that is they use in pools? I know my parents did and it worked for them.

Yes, we shocked it several times over a week. We even went with the higher end algaecides and cleaning chemicals and none worked. Normally all we have to do is shock it, but not this time.

The rain has really reeked havoc on pools and ponds in NH. We just got back from camping and the pond there was closed because of algae and bacteria as well.

The pool looks crystal clear now though. We will test the water today again and do any adjustments it requires.

Just in time though since we have some more good pool weather coming up. :)

Al Ray 07-07-2006 06:51 PM

Ditch the chlorine and add a plecostimus?:rolleyes:

mrwisker 07-08-2006 09:28 PM

Find a micron filter and dump in some diatmatious earth powder and wait, it should polish up the water