mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
I had it for two weeks and got really stuck! it was a258 inline 6, Auto, fulltime 4x4 quadratrac, this was a striped down CJ, metal floors, no radio, no roll bar, skinny suburnite tires. Ialso added a analog Alpine tapedeck, with a huge (at the time ) Pioneer 320 amp, 4 speakers, Stropp roll bar, Goodyear Wranglers sitting on the very first set of Keystone solar 10's ever sold up here. I was 19...
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

82 scrambler here

Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
PKM - BOOSH!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Jeep all the way. I am on my 3rd Jeep. I love my 2k Cherokee Sport.

My Feedback

everex5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Not a Squatch...

Send a message via AIM to Timber_Ghost

I drive an 04 wrangler sport with the 4.0 liter straight 6. Its a beast. It rides pretty rough but it will climb over about anything. Nice thing about jeeps is they are made to take a ton of abuse. And if by chance something does break there are tons of parts to be found and they are relatively easy to work on. Just don't expect any sort of gas efficiency.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themole View Post
NICE. I love Scramblers. My dream project is to get a replica Scrambler tub and frame and built it up from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Os View Post
I always tell anyone looking at jeeps to check in the corners by the taillights for rust, underneath and behind the front wheels especially... then I remember that most of you guys are in places where a jeep can be expected to not turn into a pile of iron oxide with wheels in <10 years.
I have that problem with mine-by the fender flares and the license plate bracket are getting some pretty nasty surface rust. When I get the money to put on tube fenders, I'm probably going to sand them down and repaint the spots I'm not replacing.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

I love Jeeps, especially CJs.

In the last 25 or so years, I've always owned one or another as a project. For the last couple years I've had a CJ-5 as my daily driver.

On a positive side, Jeep CJs are insanely easy to work on. A very modular design, nothing hidden or streamlined. On a negative, the newer Jeep CJs are 30 years old, and probobly had a very hard life.

As such MAKE SURE you crawl under any jeep you look at. The 76+ CJs had box frames that were notorious for cracking and rotting, especially from the wheels back. They make replacement frame sections, and whole frames as well, but its not a small, or cheap project.

Expect rust, even with a recent restoration. Jeeps originally were not galvanized, and the shape of the body means that water pools everywhere.

For $4000 as a budget? That includes the project vehicle and all the later parts? That should get you a good Jeep. $3000-4000 is the average price for a running CJ in good shape. Then usually 2000-3000 for running but rusty, then 1000-2000 for rusty with problems, and under 1000 for parts vehicle.

I had a similar project. I paid $1400 for my current project. Frame and body were good, though nothing electrical worked. Brakes were shot. Fuel system was shot, along with all the wheel bearings (likely in the water at some point), steering components, wiring, etc. I spent another $1000 to get it road legal, and then another $500 is odd stuff.

Now I drive it everywhere. My wife hates it since it only seats 4, and I have a family of 6. OK, not the best purchase, but its my midlife crisis car. I like Jeeps, nor Corvettes.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I love Jeeps, especially CJs.

In the last 25 or so years, I've always owned one or another as a project. For the last couple years I've had a CJ-5 as my daily driver.

On a positive side, Jeep CJs are insanely easy to work on. A very modular design, nothing hidden or streamlined. On a negative, the newer Jeep CJs are 30 years old, and probobly had a very hard life.

As such MAKE SURE you crawl under any jeep you look at. The 76+ CJs had box frames that were notorious for cracking and rotting, especially from the wheels back. They make replacement frame sections, and whole frames as well, but its not a small, or cheap project.

Expect rust, even with a recent restoration. Jeeps originally were not galvanized, and the shape of the body means that water pools everywhere.

For $4000 as a budget? That includes the project vehicle and all the later parts? That should get you a good Jeep. $3000-4000 is the average price for a running CJ in good shape. Then usually 2000-3000 for running but rusty, then 1000-2000 for rusty with problems, and under 1000 for parts vehicle.

I had a similar project. I paid $1400 for my current project. Frame and body were good, though nothing electrical worked. Brakes were shot. Fuel system was shot, along with all the wheel bearings (likely in the water at some point), steering components, wiring, etc. I spent another $1000 to get it road legal, and then another $500 is odd stuff.

Now I drive it everywhere. My wife hates it since it only seats 4, and I have a family of 6. OK, not the best purchase, but its my midlife crisis car. I like Jeeps, nor Corvettes.
thanks for the info. the jeep i get will be a project and will only see the woods/mud. it wont be a daily driver. and my $4000 is just what i have saved so far. not my total budget. i have been looking around and there are some really nice CJs around. id love one with a v8! lol
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
id love one with a v8! lol
Fortunetly, the aftermarket for CJs is extremely strong. Every single part is still made either to factory specs, or something.... similar. You could build a brand new Jeep CJ from aftermarket parts... and well... lots of people do.

V8s are always popular. Lots of people use Chevy 350s. Cheap and everywhere, and are popular swaps. So popular that most Jeep catalogs have a section on just SBC parts (ie adapters, engine mounts, wiring, plumbing, etc).

Speaking of catalogs, before you do anything else, go to Quadratec.com, 4wd.com, and JCWhitney. All 3 have Jeep CJ/Wrangler parts catalogs that are huge.... and free.

Or maybe it had an AMC V8? Jeeps had the 304 as a popular option. The great thing about the 304 is its identical (externally) to the 360 and 401 muscle car engines. You could pull a AMC401 from an AMC Javelin, and drop it right into a CJ-7 without fussing with adapters and nonesense. (though a new trans and diffs are probobly a good idea).

AMC V8s are more expensive to build up, simply becuase they are less common. But vastely more cool.

Have fun!

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

got a 99 cherokee with 200+K miles on it and after totalling my car weekend before last I just picked up a 2011 wrangler. If your in the mood for a cherokee that could use a little work and willing to drive to missouri to get it, it's well under the 4,000 mark you were looking at.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

IMO, it's not a Jeep unless it was made by AMC. I know some Jeep guys might disagree, but I'm a diehard AMC guy.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat