mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #31 (permalink)

I pull out the 48 Willys when the weather is warm enough. It was my fathers first vehicle, and it is still going strong.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
IMO, it's not a Jeep unless it was made by AMC. I know some Jeep guys might disagree, but I'm a diehard AMC guy.
Actually, when you look at it, AMC actually did the least with Jeep.

The early CJs were Willys.

The SJ Cherokees, Wagoneers and the Gladiator/J-Trucks, as well as the CJ-5 were Kaiser-Jeep. Not to mention the M-715.

Chrysler switched the Wrangler to coil springs, and created the Grand Cherokee. I know that a lot of old-school guys prefer leaf springs, but the coils ride better, flex further, offer more clearance and are easier to replace and lift properly (Shackle lifts don't count). The TJ and JK are also the best-selling Jeeps ever made, even when adjusted for sales trends per period, and they're the ones bringing Jeep back to the military market with the J8.

Don't get me wrong, AMC brought us the Cherokee, which was the original 'traditional' SUV, and right up there with the original Willys MB as far as important vehicles go, but the CJ-7 wasn't much more than a CJ-5 with AMC running gear instead of...well, everybody else's. A hell of a vehicle, but hardly a real change. (Same with the YJ too-which really says something for the CJ-5, considering Wranglers barely changed in 43 years), but I'd honestly put them at the bottom of the importance on the Jeep chart.

IMO, I think their MOST important contribution was the Jeep I6, which, IMO, is one of the best engines of all time. They stuck that in every Jeep made for years, and the I6 in my TJ is identical to engines made between '91 and '06, and barely changed from the carbonated 4.2L I6s made between '71 and '90. 5 years and two generations, and the only thing that killed it was EPA regulations-now THAT'S what I call a good engine.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
This was my 06 Tj

This was mu 06 after work

I missed it till I bought my
FJ.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
I missed it till I bought my
FJ.
You'd better be talking about an old school Land Cruiser FJ, not the new FJ Cruiser...I mean, the FJC isn't a bad vehicle, but it's no Jeep.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #35 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Your right. It comes with locking difs, a more powerful motor, a higher ground clearance, a higher airbox , a washable interior and waterproof seats from the factory. Not to mention a way smoother ride, more practical seating and cargo area. Out of the box it is a way more capable machine at a cost that is comparable across the board from base to max with the entire jeep wrangler lineup, but delivering more amenities and features than most grand cherokees at wrangler prices.
You can keep your softtop for trade off.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I've had my 97 for about 6 months now and I love it.

Maurader, check out Bestops new NX tops.

Soft Tops - Tops and Accessories for Jeep & GM, Ford, Dodge Trucks by Bestop
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #37 (permalink)

I know you are looking at a CJ, but might I suggest…

That is my 87 Grand Waggoner. She is a Gas hog, but she is great on the sand and stands out like no other Jeep model.
Shop Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Your right. It comes with locking difs, a more powerful motor, a higher ground clearance, a higher airbox , a washable interior and waterproof seats from the factory.
So does the TJ Rubicon, or any JK, which both cost less and don't have frames made of Silly Putty. (Look up FJ Cruiser frame bending or frame rusting)

Quote:
Out of the box it is a way more capable machine
You're joking, right? I challenge you to find a review done by any publication, anywhere, that shows an FJ Cruiser can outwheel a Wrangler. I don't care how small or biased they may be, I don't care if they're paid off by Toyota themselves to make the FJ look more capable, I will mail you a beer if you can find anybody who's taken the two down the Rubicon Trail or something and calls the FJ the more capable vehicle.

Also, an FJ with an auto, locking diffs (rear only), is about $33,000. A Wrangler Rubicon with more clearance, front and rear lockers, solid front axle, lower crawl ratios, larger tires, taller final drive ratio, more flex, more low-end torque and better approach/departure angles is about $30,000. The only thing the FJ Cruiser has on the Wrangler is about 60 HP, and, given that the Toyota 4L is actually a pretty good engine, it's definitely a bonus, but when the minivan mill is replaced by the new 283-hp Jeep version of the new Pentastar version for 2012, it'll be covered.

Yeah, the $3000 gets you some cushiess, but still. Then again, have you seen the new (2011+) interiors in a Wrangler? They're better-equipped and more comfortable than the FJ-and have waterproof seats, too. Although I don't know where that came from, I've run a lot more than water through my TJ's seats and they aren't any worse for wear. Carpet's pretty raggy by now, but still. I wouldn't hose down a JK or an FJ with a power washer like I've done with YJs and CJs, though, neither would take it all that well.

I'm not hating on the FJ Cruiser, it's actually a really nice truck. I wouldn't replace a Wrangler with one, but I'd totally drive one given the choice.

Also, there's the small factor that the Wrangler outsells the FJ, the closest thing it has to a competitor in the NA market, about 5-to-one.

Also, if you think that they're better-equipped than a Grand Cherokee, then you DEFINITELY haven't seen the new ones. They make Range Rovers look spartan now.

Yeah, it beats the hell out of the Liberty, but the (second-gen) Liberty is a red-headed stepchild Cherokee replacement that's going to be unceremoniously dumped into the Great Parking Lot In The Sky in a year or so. And I suppose it beats the Compass and Patriot too, but what do you expect from a vehicle half the FJ's price and based off car platforms? In the meantime, read this handy review from 4 Wheel Offroad Magazine comparing the two.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, Titus, I hadn't seen the new NX yet-that's exactly what I want.

Quote:

Last edited by Marauder_Pilot; 03-18-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
You're joking, right? I challenge you to find a review done by any publication, anywhere, that shows an FJ Cruiser can outwheel a Wrangler. .
I agree. In fact there has been a bunch of FJ verses JK reviews which say pretty much the same thing, with the main negative about the JK being its engine.

On paper it makes decent HP, but its in a small band at the higher RPMs. Completely wasted on a slow crawling 4x4. There is a hugh aftermarket for putting HEMIs into JKs...... why doesnt Chrystler just make it an option, as with the larger jeeps?

Though I do like the looks of the new FJs... in that they don't look like anything else. I just wish they were open-top like the FJ-40s. I had a 1969 FJ-40 and I loved it.

I love open-top trucks in general. I've owned a variety of FJ40s, Scouts, and CJs. Though technically the Wrangler is not an "open-top". Its a convertible. The difference being the doors are considered part of the body not the top. Its not really legal to drive with the doors off on a wrangler, but it is legal on a CJ. Dumb right?

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #40 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I agree. In fact there has been a bunch of FJ verses JK reviews which say pretty much the same thing, with the main negative about the JK being its engine.

On paper it makes decent HP, but its in a small band at the higher RPMs. Completely wasted on a slow crawling 4x4. There is a hugh aftermarket for putting HEMIs into JKs...... why doesnt Chrystler just make it an option, as with the larger jeeps?
I'm still holding out for the diesel option. I'm not pulling the trigger on a new Jeep until they make it happen.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat