mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The current rumourmill places a mid-cycle refresh of the JK for MY 2012 (IE, this fall) that will see a diesel (Probably the 2.8L or 3.0L VM Motori diesels), a 5-speed automatic and a Gladiator-esque pickup.

EDIT: Also, a few companies have done custom FJ Cruiser convertables:

Not quite as good as you'd like...not bad, but it just seems off.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.

Last edited by Marauder_Pilot; 03-19-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #42 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
The current rumourmill places a mid-cycle refresh of the JK for MY 2012 (IE, this fall) that will see a diesel (Probably the 2.8L or 3.0L VM Motori diesels), a 5-speed automatic and a Gladiator-esque pickup.

EDIT: Also, a few companies have done custom FJ Cruiser convertables:
http://www.autospies.com/images/user...ous/07tfjc.jpg

Not quite as good as you'd like...not bad, but it just seems off.
I know, I've been hearing it for what seems like the last 5 years. I got crazy excited when I saw the diesel option on the plate in the engine bay but that hasn't happened yet. For whatever reason they don't think they will sell in the US which is absurd. They last rumor was a 5.0 Cummins diesel for 2010. My car is paid off in July, I would have no problem jumping into another payment if they show me a diesel JK. I would prefer a stick but I would take an auto with a diesel option, even if it's the smaller 2.8 turbo they have in the J8.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

They've caught pictures of Siemens running American-spec Wranglers with Fiat and VM diesel engines running around the USA, and Jeep just finished a hiring binge including a ton of engineers and salespeople with diesel experience. If it's not coming in 2012, it's coming soon.

Also, just to make you even more eager for one, here's a nice video of the diesel-powered milspec J8 doing testing. The bit at 1:20 with the BPV version flooring it down the road gives me a raging car boner.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Also, just to make you even more eager for one, here's a nice video of the diesel-powered milspec J8 doing testing. The bit at 1:20 with the BPV version flooring it down the road gives me a raging car boner.
I hate you now, but in a good way.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #45 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I've been scouring scrapyards and wrecked vehicle sales to try and find a written-off JK Unlimited to turn into a ghetto J8 truck. Create a cab-only rollcage, strip out everything past the front seats, seal up the door openings and close off the back...do want.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #46 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
I've been scouring scrapyards and wrecked vehicle sales to try and find a written-off JK Unlimited to turn into a ghetto J8 truck. Create a cab-only rollcage, strip out everything past the front seats, seal up the door openings and close off the back...do want.
That would be sweet. The BPV sounded to me like it had the 5.7 HEMI option. It sounded friggin' fierce. I was making this face >

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Old 03-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Quote:
IMO, I think their MOST important contribution was the Jeep I6, which, IMO, is one of the best engines of all time. They stuck that in every Jeep made for years, and the I6 in my TJ is identical to engines made between '91 and '06, and barely changed from the carbonated 4.2L I6s made between '71 and '90. 5 years and two generations, and the only thing that killed it was EPA regulations-now THAT'S what I call a good engine.
Exactly.

I'm a huge fan of AMC cars too -Javelins, AMX's, etc. They brought the first AWD car to the market, years before Subaru, too.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #48 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
and the I6 in my TJ is identical to engines made between '91 and '06, and barely changed from the carbonated 4.2L I6s made between '71 and '90.
They are similar enough that people put 4.0 heads on 4.2s for more power. Or put 4.2 cranks in 4.0s for more power. And everything mounts in the same place.

I've been tempted for a while to pull a fuel-injected 4.0 HO from a junked Cherokee and drop into my CJ5. Apart from the wiring, its drop and go.

Like you said, the EPA killed it. The reason it was a longstroke motor. They have excellent low end torque, but pollute more then short-stroke motors.

On a positive side, Mopar started making 4.7L I6 strokers as a "drop in" replacement for the 4.0s in YJ/TJ/etc, and technically any Jeep I6. They start at $3660. Slightly cheaper then the Titans.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #49 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

True enough-as a sidenote, the AMC Eagle was the first crossover, and a really nifty little car.

Still, right now, I'd consider the '06 TJ Rubicon the best Jeep ever built all-around, since it took everybody's important contributions and combined them into one vehicle. The JK Rubicon might beat it once the Pentastar and diesel engines get there, although it's losing a few points, as far as raw Jeep-ness goes-by having an interior you can't clean with a garden hose.

EDIT: Nice, I didn't know there was a Mopar stroker kit for the I6. I knew about Golen and such, but I'd honestly have the Mopar version. Once I can afford a second vehicle and can take the TJ off the road long enough to tinker with it, I really want to fit it with a stroker kit-it's too bad that nobody's really made a diesel that will fit well in the TJ. VWs are too small, Cummins, even the 4BT are too big, and VM Motori, Toyota and Nissan diesels are too hard and expensive to get ahold of.

Plus, up here, a diesel can be a liability-when it gets down to -40*C, even with heaters you've got to run a gas engine for 20 minutes before you start driving. With a diesel, you need to run glow plugs for 20 minutes before you can even start it, and you've got to idle trucks and heavy equipment for at least half an hour. Even the smaller ones take half an hour to get ready to drive, and my brother has to warm up his employer's one-ton Ford with a Powerstroke for an hour before it's drivable (Granted, it's perpetually moving around 5-ton bags of mine samples, and if you tried to pull a trailer with one while cold it'd fire a piston into low earth orbit, but still)

Quote:

Last edited by Marauder_Pilot; 03-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Ooooh. Supposedly we'll be seeing this as a 2012 model:

2012 Gladiator. It's about time they brought out another truck. I loved the Comanches. Supposedly the CEO even showed it off to dealers. Very cool. I remember drooling over pics of this thing back in '05 when it was a concept.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat