mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Old dogs/new tricks

Hey there, High there, ho there!

Well, here we are in this new house. The old shack has burnt and even the last of us holdouts are finally trickling on to the porch.

It's BRIGHT here... lots of fluorescent lighting and clean white walls. Find myself kicking around in the corner, looking for a dust pile that ain't there yet. Very tidy and... almost sterile.

There is so much to see and do here at the GREAT WORLD'S FAIR! Wow! So many forums and subforums, tv and jokes and links and galleries and... and... I am getting breathless even as I type. Everyone is welcome and, so far no cops to be seen... paradise!

The entertainment is better than Vegas and the prices, well they're still in Iowa or somewhere cheaper. More free PB stuff than anyone would ever want or need. A billion shiny pieces, all arranged for ease of use and consumption. Maybe that's why I feel so underwhelmed. I have always been about searching and the search is over. What exactly is my hobby again?

The streets are filling, a few new shops opening up and the mayor is working like crazy to make it all the best it can be. A benevolent loving mayor, full of (crazy) ideas and energy, a coffee-achieving closet hippy wearing an Old Glory pin on his lapel. The Army Corps of Engineers have been through here too, straightening the curves and deepening the channels. More barges is good barges, right?

Still the loss echoes and I keep looking over my shoulder to see if maybe that old sunk ship will somehow rise again, ev'n tho' I know it will never be. Squinting anyway... gotta get some sunglasses or shut myself up.

So long, old friend...
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
You'll love it here... Or so is the failed new motto of my love'ed state of New Hampshire. They tried to put it on the signs... they're just going to put back up the Live Free or Die state motto.

While I know everyone loved the old site feel and look. As did I. Remember I mostly wrote the code of the last site, so if anyone had an affinity and connection to that site... it was I.

But as it grew, the code could no longer handle the traffic. Data corruption, etc. A change had to be made, like it or not.

As for the look?

That can be changed. It's just a theme, and I only whipped one up and changed some of the colors. Maybe someone can help me create a new one, or help subdue the colors a bit.

I took a screen shot of the old MCB. Just before I shut it down. I was the only person logged on. The last one to be there. It was a remorsefull goodbye. But I'm happy to be here.

As I use the code, and get more used to the features, I find myself feeling at home and not missing a beat.

I honestly enjoy it now.

Here's to hoping the rest of you do too...
Painthappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Things are shaping up nicely. I like it here and will only grow to like more as refinements are made. Nice work.

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I can see both your points...all though I really hope the ACoE wasn't here..god they're a pia!

I think what was nice about MCB (the original) was that there was a minimum of organization..you had to get into the trench and see everything just to maybe find the one thing you wanted.

Here at MCB2 everything is organized down to..well. super organized.... god dammit you've made the site more organized than my desk was last week after I cleaned it! That's not fair! (I didn't get to organize the drawers..maybe that's why I'm really upset).

The fear before was that the two sites would thin out the membership of MCB...hopefully everyone will make it to MCB2 and not be upset or scared away.

I understand the theme can change and once you get passed the shock of "So much stuff"... kind of like a Russian walking into a super store...then I think people will catch on and be ok.

Only time will tell.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Exactly what "point" did I make? That was a stream-o-consciousness ode to the old MCB.

No point... it was supposed to be art.

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Art is your avatar.. those were the ramblings of a saddened individual, similar to the bayings of a hound on a muggy moonless evening.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hmph - new stuff - "Danger, danger, Will Robinson" (Not)

Drum's attempt at a Ulyssean paean to the old dog was appreciated. It was great, this one will be great and Carter is da man for doing all the work that supports it. I will go whever I need to to associate with the gang I've come to like so much - the venue is much less important than the people. Peter
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paintball Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
the venue is much less important than the people.
And so the old club house is no more, its electronic walls, infused with so much memory and mirth are packed away, frozen forever as a screen shot. The new space has new corners to explore, but all the same people to explore with.

-rath
Old 07-20-2006, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not in the picture

*sniff*
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
HA... The indian!!!!
Painthappy is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat