mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #111 (permalink)
Banned
 
alpha434's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
Guys simmer down. Getting a little too heated in here
It's not an unreasonable debate. I find it interesting and educational.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #112 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: whitehall st. rm. 604

CCM Fan
Reasonable debate, tone is getting angry.
__________________
http://askafreemason.org/

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #113 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Ryan381's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006

shadow_772- I have USAA for all my insurance, the insurance is really progressive for bikes but we get a deal I believe. I really like them, rates were the lowest. Don't know how their claim dept. is and I hope I never find out. Once you get your bike throw up some pictures
Ryan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #114 (permalink)
Hmmmmm.
 
Wulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
Guys simmer down. Getting a little too heated in here
Sorry. It's just I can't sit back and watch somebody talk about how the "really like" their half-helmet and then go on to say that a cheap DOT helmet is just as safe as a high-end. That is bad and potentially dangerous advice.

Arguing personal choice is fine when all parties are well informed of the decision they are making. But when you bring new riders into the equation the advice should be safety first as it is a good chance they will crash in their first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
Agree'd. I am by no means a "newb" to helmets anyhow, I was just wondering recommendations, considering my old dirtbike helmet wouldn't exactly fit the situation lol.

Back to topic?
Just because you don't consider yourself a newb doesn't mean there aren't others reading this topic also. Being that this is a paintball site there could be kids reading this thread and taking the advice given.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #115 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
shadow_772's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Over hill yonder'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan381 View Post
shadow_772- I have USAA for all my insurance, the insurance is really progressive for bikes but we get a deal I believe. I really like them, rates were the lowest. Don't know how their claim dept. is and I hope I never find out. Once you get your bike throw up some pictures
Thanks. I can't wait. I was supposed to, but I am just waiting on a letter from Navy Fed. so I can transfer money to her account.

And wulf, I didn't think of that, good point.
__________________

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #116 (permalink)
Rec Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bisbee, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Now you are just being difficult to try and prove your point. Show me a high end DOT only helmet. There is a reason you need more than a DOT certification to race. (Either SNELL or ECE)

Nice try with the edit to add farside's link. Too bad it is a 6 year old article and the helmets tested are now outdated.
You do realize that as a result of that article SNELL changed their testing procedure to be closer to that of DOT.

Manufacturers pay to have their helmets SNELL certified, not all helmets are sent in for SNELL certification.

Any helmet is better than no helmet but stating that just because a helmet costs more means that it protects you better is false and misleading.

FWIW the author of that article was later fired from Motorcyclist magazine. He claims the reason was because of pressure from the high end helmet companies who didn't like his objective findings.
Bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #117 (permalink)
Hmmmmm.
 
Wulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbonian View Post
You do realize that as a result of that article SNELL changed their testing procedure to be closer to that of DOT.

Manufacturers pay to have their helmets SNELL certified, not all helmets are sent in for SNELL certification.

Any helmet is better than no helmet but stating that just because a helmet costs more means that it protects you better is false and misleading.
I know about the new SNELL regs. I know why they were implemented. I also know what to look for in a helmet. But....

Not everyone does. By stating DOT is DOT and are all equal is false and misleading as well. The problem with posting a tidbit of info is that someone may walk into a bike shop tomorrow and grab a $50 bargain basement helmet that has been sitting on the shelf for 10 years. Then thinking they are good because DOT is DOT.

Going with SNELL is still the safer way to go. In the end you have to ask yourself if a company doesn't want to spend the money for the certifications, what else are they cheaping out on?
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #118 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
shadow_772's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Over hill yonder'

Day two of the BRC, putted around on 250's all day.. Had a decent time :]
__________________

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #119 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com
 
chopper duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro ATL

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_772 View Post
Day two of the BRC, putted around on 250's all day.. Had a decent time :]
Did they provide the 250s?
__________________
My: MCB feedback {total = 275+}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #120 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
shadow_772's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Over hill yonder'

Yes, they did.
__________________

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC