mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #141 (permalink)

I'm in need of some advice. For the past couple years now, I've been riding a lame little scooter. It's not the greatest but it gets me around.

Anyways, I just finished the basic rider course at one of the local colleges, and now I'm itching for something that'll be a little less burdened by wind/hills etc. Everyone I've talked to around here has been telling me that I'll need something at least in the 500 cc range in order to do any significant highway driving. The thing is though, that while I kind of think it'd be nice to go on longer rides sometimes, 95% of my riding is within the city. So I'm kind of wondering if I might be better off going with a smaller 250 or something that'll (I assume) get better mileage and be lighter/easier to manhandle around at low speed.

So I guess the question comes down to this. Do I get something that will do everything I could want adequately, or do I get something more specialized for my current situation, but that I might grow out of again in a couple years?

Or do I just keep the scooter for the lame everyday stuff, and get a big bike to ride for longer trips?

Thanks!
CB103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #142 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
^^^I'd love to ride the Dragon one day. Curious, do you ever get crap for 'Fake Harley'? I know a lot of Harley guys around here have that attitude.

edit: this is in reference to Ryan.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #143 (permalink)

can't say I've ever got the fake Harley comment. The dragon was fun; wanted to do it more so I could check it off the list.

I also hit the cherohala and it was pretty much empty I think I passed 2 bikes and 1 car the whole length of it.

CB103- I had a GS500 (naked one) and enjoyed it think I put around 9k on it. Its about the same weight as the 250 I think its somewhere around 40lbs diffrence. It also gets 50-54mph regularly, but with enough omph that you could scoot down the highway if you needed to.

If your already riding something I would look into the 500ish range, GS500 or ninja 500 as a possibility.
Ryan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #144 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
^^^I'd love to ride the Dragon one day. Curious, do you ever get crap for 'Fake Harley'? I know a lot of Harley guys around here have that attitude.

edit: this is in reference to Ryan.
****in' RUBs. God I hate those guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #145 (permalink)

I'll be hitting up the Dragon in August for the first time
dibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #146 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
Yeah, it is that attitude that I hate about fake bikers. and why I didn't buy a Harley for years. Ride what you want, Harley didn't invent motorcycles or riding. very true about the RUB's CD

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #147 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I'm looking at buying my first bike this summer-right now, I'm stuck between a NOS 2010 Kawasaki KLR650 or a 2011 Suzuki TU250.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the KLR, since I'll get more use out of it (Being a dual-sport, and there's more trails than roads here-off-road ability is a definite plus), but I love the look and feel of the TU250. Plus, I'm worried about a 650 enduro being a bit too big for someone without any significant road riding time (I've ridden a few other 250s a little bit, but none for more than a few hours for run)

Plus, the TU250 is a fair bit cheaper. However, I'd be able to sell the KLR in a heartbeat if I wanted to, since there's a huge demand for used dirt bikes and dual-sports up here.

So, opinions?

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #148 (permalink)

I would say get what you really want since you are going to be the one riding it.

If it were up to me I would get the 650. If you think it might be too big for you now, once you start riding it you will grow into it in no time.
dibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #149 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
A 650 shouldnt be too big for someone, its all in your head how dangerous it will be, i'd only suggest a smaller motorcycle for someone whose NEVER ridden anything with 2 wheels and engine powered. I went from a ex500 (first bike ever) to a cbr600f2, that jump is nearly double the hp and much better handling and i didnt find it anywhere "unmanagable" even after i put my 1/6 turn throttle on it (god i love that thing lol). Now when you start getting into the liter bikes thats a bit different story, you're straddling a machine purpose built to race, it's built to go fast and get there in a hurry, its very easy to fub that up or get yourself in trouble. (not that the 600 bikes arent made to race, just not as jumpy)
I liked my 500 but it got rather boring after a year of use, my 600 made riding fun again, mabey later when funds allow i'll step up to a liter bike.

Best bet would be to get what you can afford, and spend some money on a bit of gear especally since you're starting out on road, a riding jacket and pant go a long way if you fall, jeans and a tshirt are basically like riding naked, they disentigrate after mabey sliding 6 inches across pavement.

Only people i'd suggest a 250 to are people that ONLY need it for commuting to save gas and need a cheaper vehicle and people who have never rode a motorcycle before, otherwise get a 500+ and have fun.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #150 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
Yeah, it is that attitude that I hate about fake bikers. and why I didn't buy a Harley for years. Ride what you want, Harley didn't invent motorcycles or riding. very true about the RUB's CD
The ironic thing is that here in N.Cal, there's none of the 'your gun sucks n00b' snobbery at pb fields, but there's lots of hardcore biker types that look down their noses at metric bikes. There's probably 8 Harleys to every Suz/Kaw/Yam/Honda cruiser around here, a large percentage of which bears a dentist or attorney 'I'm in the HD club too' poser.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat