mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

I drive a delivery truck for Coca Cola (& I'm also in the National Guard-1 weekend a month). Anyway I love my job at Coke. After operating various equipment in the Army, I too enjoy driving big trucks, but as you stated the down side of being a over the road trucker is being away from home.

So I would recommend that you might consider looking for a job as a local delivery driver/vendor (softdrinks, beer, bread, milk, groceries, etc..). My job allows me to work a normal daytime hours/shift & stay within a few local counties-not far from home and more importantly, get to go home every night.

Other positives are that, you don't have to go out a buy/lease a rig. You don't have to pay for your own fuel & maintenance for your rig. You don't have to worry about finding loads to haul. But you do still get to drive around in a semi everyday doing a job you enjoy, without a boss looking over your shoulder all day.

Anyway, thats maybe just "some food for thought". Good luck with whatever you decide.
"If I ever opened a trampoline store, I don't think I'd call it Trampo-Land, because you might think it was a store for tramps, which is not the impression we are trying to convey with our store. On the other hand, we would not prohibit tramps from browsing, or testing the trampolines, unless a tramp's gyrations seemed to be getting out of control" [Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Angel Pump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Being a over the road trucker is not even a job in my opinion. It is more like a way of life. Everyday life will change. Being on the road 6-7 weeks straight will put a strain and burn out any man. It is a huge commitment. I guess the only thing to do is try it out and see how it fits with your life.They are going to make you sign a contract and most of the time it means they own you for a few years, especially companies like Prime that make you lease or buy the trucks through them. I know a lot of owner operators and after all the expenses you will have, the money looks good on paper ,but what you actually get is another story. Maybe go to some truck stops and see if you can track down some Prime drivers and see what they think.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra SS LCD,Rev-i,Dark Angel IR3,2K5 Speed,KP3,Rasta A4 Fly.

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1921680
kill-n-spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
S7G
MCB Member

I will have the wife with me so being gone will not be a big deal.
I have all my endorsements except for Haz-mat.
After driving school bus I am well familiar with Air brakes and how to pre-flight them.
I have been driving equipment with air brakes for over 30 yrs.
This is not something I step lightly into and have researched it a lot.
I am just looking for feedback from others.
I have a retirement already and would be almost willing to drive for peanuts.
I have wanted to drive since i retired but the timing has never been right and after getting hurt and almost losing a foot at my current job it is now time for a change.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.'

Bottom line is we never were angels...didn't try to
be. We were not related by blood, but we were brothers nevertheless...not in some sort of Hollywood way, but in a real life "no ****" kinda way.
William Walter AC-130 Gunner 2011
S7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Treadstone

AKA Fan
Sounds like Prime has a decent deal for an O/O as the big thing is always permits, fuel and taxes. If teams are clearing $950 after expenses with fuel priced as it is that's not bad. Sounds like you are going it it for the experience notmthe paycheck and you may find if you let dispatch know they might take care of you on the scenic routes and give the high dollar/high stress routes to the hustlers.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat