mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Any truck Drivers here? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/160255-any-truck-drivers-here.html)

S7G 04-29-2011 05:58 AM

Any truck Drivers here?

Well after 30 yrs of wondering aimlessly around the world on airplanes I am thinking of calling it quits.
I still have the wander lust so I am thinking about driving a big rig>
I have had a class A since I retired in 03 and have only driven school bus with it.
From the forums on trucking I see a lot of good and bad things about it.
I am looking at Prime as a dual driver with the wife.
This for good or bad would allow me to see my lovely bride for more then 10 days at a time and maybe even make to EMR again.
I have always loved driving big equipment after growing up on a farm.
I have limited experience in a Big rig ,however you have not lived until you drove one on Okinawa and had to deal with the narrow *** roads and having to back it onto the ferry.
\
Anyone got any pointers etc?

Orpackrat 04-29-2011 09:31 AM

Sorry I can't give any good pointers but I love driving larger vehicles. Granted a School Bus is not a Big Rig but its the best job I have ever had (except for the bad hours and pay). I love driving.

Treadstone 04-29-2011 10:16 AM

I've been out of the cab going on 10 years now but still miss it on occasion. OTR work is a love hate deal, met a ton of guys oveqr the years who swear it's the best thing ever and an equal number who do nothing but complain over the whole deal. The money can be decent espeqcially running teams with the wife, just be careful of cycle times and what the pay package includes (back hauls, down time, tolls, permits, etc). One word of advice don't get caught up in the road king mentality, if it's not your rig it's not worth your money unless it make you more comfortable or makes you money.

S7G 04-29-2011 10:47 AM

I drove School bus for awhile and agree it was fun just the hrs and pay sucked.

I am looking at being able to lease a new truck so I can make it comfy.

chrislognshot 04-29-2011 11:39 AM

what your driving record like and your also going to have to pass dot test too. not sure company's still do this but some use get flat pay that cover your cost to ship something with part of it covering gas part of bill. since you get paid per mile you ship and cost of gas will come out your pay to cover it. since some company's where doing that.

S7G 04-29-2011 11:57 AM

Clean record and Have a current CDL with a current Physical.
Company pays for fuel and actually gives you extra back if you save them money on fuel.
Research on them has been overall positive and teams are avg $5950 a week after all bills are paid.
The pay would let me retire in a little over two yrs time frame if I wanted too.

131SteckTastic131 04-30-2011 09:24 AM

Here's a question, how would one get a cdl?

S7G 04-30-2011 11:11 AM

You can take a class at a truck driving school.
A lot of community colleges offer the class as well.
You can do what I did and just walk into dmv and take the tests. I passed all but the Haz-mat on the first try with no studying it was all just common sense stuff.
I then Paid $250 to have someone ride along for the driving part.

That was how I did it anyways.

kill-n-spree 05-01-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S7G (Post 1812418)
You can take a class at a truck driving school.
A lot of community colleges offer the class as well.
You can do what I did and just walk into dmv and take the tests. I passed all but the Haz-mat on the first try with no studying it was all just common sense stuff.
I then Paid $250 to have someone ride along for the driving part.

That was how I did it anyways.

So does that mean you don't have a Air brake endorsement? Because there is nothing COMMON SENSE about all of that. Truck driving school can be in the thousands. Your best bet is to get a job at a local moving company and have them train you and get paid while you do it. Once you study the book that you can pick up at the DMV a few times go down and take all the tests you need for the type of job you are wanting. After you learn your pre trip inspections , and air brake tests and how everything works, the company can let you driver with a CDL driver. When you take the driving tests there are several tricky things they will make you do. If you bump a cone with the truck or trailer, you automatically fail on the spot. I have had my Class A CDL since I was 18 years old, I am now in my thirties, I still keep if current even though my current position at the same company does not require me to drive or anything of the sort the last 6 years.

chrislognshot 05-01-2011 01:21 AM

even thou you pass the test. you still will need to do some local driving. since most will only take people that been doing local driving for up to 3yr. since want someone that been doing for awhile. also some will do what you said but in this day time when cost fuel going up and cost to ship stuff going to he hard to make what that said. we still have issue all over usa where drive can not find work since to many competing for it. might get trip other side of state but does not mean you get load to carry back to other side.